This article was accepted for inclusion in Developmental Dynamics 231#1, September 2004–Special Focus on Avian Development.
FGF-2 signaling is sufficient to induce dermal condensations during feather development†
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 4, pages 741–749, December 2004
How to Cite
Song, H.-K., Lee, S.-H. and Goetinck, P. F. (2004), FGF-2 signaling is sufficient to induce dermal condensations during feather development. Dev. Dyn., 231: 741–749. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20243
- Issue published online: 11 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 15 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 26 MAY 2004
- NIH/NICHD. Grant Number: HD-37490
- the Cutaneous Biology Research Center
- 2003. Spatial and temporal expression of heparan sulfate in mouse development regulates FGF and FGF receptor assembly. J Cell Biol 163: 637–648. , .
- 2001. Role of heparan sulfate as a tissue-specific regulator of FGF-4 and FGF receptor recognition. J Cell Biol 155: 845–858. , , .
- 1999. Function of cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Annu Rev Biochem 69: 729–777. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Syndecans: multifunctional cell-surface co-receptors. Biochem J 327: 1–16. .
- 1997. Asymmetric expression of Notch/Delta/Serrate is associated with the anterior-posterior axis of feather buds. Dev Biol 188: 181–187. , , , .
- 1997. FGF-stimulated outgrowth and proliferation of limb mesoderm is dependent on syndecan-3. Dev Biol 184: 343–350. , , , .
- 1991. The relationship between cell proliferation and the transcription of the nuclear oncogenes c-myc, c-myb and c-ets-1 during feather morphogenesis in the chick embryo. Development 111: 699–713. , , , , .
- 1998. Bone morphogenetic protein signaling is required for maintenance of differentiated phenotype, control of proliferation, and hypertrophy in chondrocytes. J Cell Biol 140: 409–418. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Ectopic expression of Msx-2 in posterior limb bud mesoderm impairs limb morphogenesis while inducing BMP-4 expression, inhibiting cell proliferation, and promoting apoptosis. Dev Biol 197: 12–24. , , , , , .
- 1966. Genetic aspects of skin and limb development. Curr Top Dev Biol 1: 253–283. .
- 1963. Tissue interactions in the scaleless mutant and the use of scaleless as an ectodermal marker in studies of normal limb differentiation. J Exp Zool 154: 7–19. , .
- 1995. Characterization of chicken syndecan-3 as a heparan sulfate proteoglycan and its expression during embryogenesis. Dev Biol 168: 438–451. , , .
- 2004. Bmp7 mediates early signaling events during induction of chick epidermal organs. Dev Dyn 231: 22–32. , , .
- 1998. The life history of an embryonic signaling center: BMP-4 induces p21 and is associated with apoptosis in the mouse tooth enamel knot. Development 125: 161–169. , , , , .
- 1998. Local inhibitory action of BMPs and their relationships with activators in feather formation: implications for periodic patterning. Dev Biol 196: 11–23. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Responsiveness of developing dental tissues to fibroblast growth factors: expression of splicing alternatives of FGFR1, -2, -3, and of FGFR4; and stimulation of cell proliferation by FGF-2, -4, -8, and -9. Dev Genet 22: 374–385. , , .
- 1999. Cell migration and chick limb development: chemotactic action of FGF-4 and the AER [in process citation]. Dev Biol 211: 335–347. , .
- 1996. FGF-2 influences cell movements and gene expression during limb development. J Exp Zool 274: 234–247. , , , .
- 1999. Heparan sulfate proteoglycans are essential for FGF receptor signaling during Drosophila embryonic development. Development 126: 3715–3723. , , , .
- 2004. FGF signaling is required for initiation of feather placode development. Development 131: 3333–3343. , .
- 1998. Stage-specific effects of sonic hedgehog expression in the epidermis. Dev Biol 201: 1–12. , , , .
- 1993. FGF-4 replaces the apical ectodermal ridge and directs outgrowth and patterning of the limb. Cell 75: 579–587. , , , , .
- 1998. BMPs mediate lateral inhibition at successive stages in feather tract development. Development 125: 3775–3787. , .
- 1999. beta-catenin signaling can initiate feather bud development. Development 126: 3509–3521. , , .
- 2003. Fibroblast growth factor 10 is required for proper development of the mouse whiskers. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 302: 562–567. , , , , , , .
- 2000. FGFs, heparan sulfate and FGFRs: complex interactions essential for development. Bioessays 22: 108–112. .
- 2001. Fibroblast growth factors. Genome Biol 2: REVIEWS3005. , .
- 1993. Developmental localization of the splicing alternatives of fibroblast growth factor receptor-2 (FGFR2). Dev Biol 158: 475–486. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. FGF-10 is a chemotactic factor for distal epithelial buds during lung development. Dev Biol 201: 125–134. , , , , .
- 1993. Different members of the fibroblast growth factor receptor family are specific to distinct cell types in the developing chicken embryo. Dev Biol 155: 107–123. , , .
- 2001. Role of heparan sulfate in fibroblast growth factor signalling: a structural view. Curr Opin Struct Biol 11: 629–634. .
- 2003. A crucial role for Fgfr2-IIIb signalling in epidermal development and hair follicle patterning. Development 130: 5493–5501. , , , , , .
- 2003. Mechanisms of ectodermal organogenesis. Dev Biol 262: 195–205. , .
- 1991. Requirement of heparan sulfate for bFGF-mediated fibroblast growth and myoblast differentiation. Science 252: 1705–1708. , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75: 1401–1416. , , , .
- 1976. Morphogenesis of skin. New York: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1963. In vitro studies with the scaleless mutant. Interactions during feather and scale differentiation. J Hered 54: 255–262. , .
- 1996. Dorsal dermis of the scaleless (sc/sc) embryo directs normal feather pattern formation until day 8 of development. Dev Dyn 205: 82–91. , .
- 1996. Fibroblast growth factor 2 can replace ectodermal signaling for feather development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 10246–10249. , , .
- 1999. Fibroblast growth factors as multifunctional signaling factors. Int Rev Cytol 185: 45–106. , .
- 2002. FGF10 is a mesenchymally derived stimulator for epidermal development in the chick embryonic skin. Mech Dev 116: 39–49. , , , , , .
- 1996. Sonic Hedgehog in feather morphogenesis: induction of mesenchymal condensation and association with cell death. Dev Dyn 207: 157–170. , .
- 1997. Fibroblast growth factors 2 and 4 stimulate migration of mouse embryonic limb myogenic cells. Dev Dyn 209: 206–216. , , , .
- 1965. Morphology and proliferation during early feather development. Dev Biol 12: 131–153. .
- 1996. FGF induces new feather buds from developing avian skin. J Invest Dermatol 107: 797–803. , , , , .
- 1999. Wnt-7a in feather morphogenesis: involvement of anterior-posterior asymmetry and proximal-distal elongation demonstrated with an in vitro reconstitution model. Development 126: 2577–2587. , , , , .