Patterns & Phenotypes
Distinct tissue-specificity of three zebrafish ext1 genes encoding proteoglycan modifying enzymes and their relationship to somitic Sonic hedgehog signaling
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 232, Issue 2, pages 498–505, February 2005
How to Cite
Siekmann, A. F. and Brand, M. (2005), Distinct tissue-specificity of three zebrafish ext1 genes encoding proteoglycan modifying enzymes and their relationship to somitic Sonic hedgehog signaling. Dev. Dyn., 232: 498–505. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20248
- Issue online: 13 JAN 2005
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 17 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 25 AUG 2004
- International Max Planck Research School Dresden
- European Union. Grant Number: QLG3-CT-2001-02310
- 1998. Tout-velu is a Drosophila homologue of the putative tumour suppressor EXT-1 and is needed for Hh diffusion. Nature 394: 85–88. , , .
- 2001. Heparan sulfate proteoglycans and cancer. Br J Cancer 85: 1094–1098. , , , .
- 1997. Notochord induction of zebrafish slow muscle mediated by Sonic hedgehog. Genes Dev 11: 2163–2175. , , , .
- 1996. Dual roles for patched in sequestering and transducing Hedgehog. Cell 87: 553–563. , .
- 2001. Analysis of the zebrafish smoothened mutant reveals conserved and divergent functions of hedgehog activity. Development 128: 2385–2396. , , .
- 1997. The structure of the human multiple exostoses 2 gene and characterization of homologs in mouse and Caenorhabditis elegans. Genome Res 7: 359–367. , , , .
- 1996. Spatial regulation of a zebrafish patched homologue reflects the roles of sonic hedgehog and protein kinase A in neural tube and somite patterning. Development 122: 2835–2846. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Genetic heterogeneity in families with hereditary multiple exostoses. Am J Hum Genet 53: 71–79. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Preservation of duplicate genes by complementary, degenerative mutations. Genetics 151: 1531–1545. , , , , , .
- 2001. Identification of botv, a new segment polarity gene that encodes a protein of the putative tumor suppressor EXT family. 42nd Annual Drosophila Research Conference. Washington, DC, Program No. 411. , , , , , .
- 1995. Hereditary multiple exostosis and chondrosarcoma: linkage to chromosome II and loss of heterozygosity for EXT-linked markers on chromosomes II and 8. Am J Hum Genet 56: 1125–1131. , , , , , .
- 2003. Gene expression of EXT1 and EXT2 during mouse brain development. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 141: 129–136. , .
- 2002. cDNA cloning and distribution of XEXT1, the Xenopus homologue of EXT1. Dev Genes Evol 212: 248–250. , , , .
- 2004. Ext1-dependent heparan sulfate regulates the range of Ihh signaling during endochondral ossification. Dev Cell 6: 801–813. , , , .
- 2003. Heparan sulfate core proteins in cell-cell signaling. Annu Rev Genet 37: 461–484. , .
- 1993. A functionally conserved homolog of the Drosophila segment polarity gene hh is expressed in tissues with polarizing activity in zebrafish embryos. Cell 75: 1431–1444. , , .
- 1994. A gene for hereditary multiple exostoses maps to chromosome 19p. Hum Mol Genet 3: 717–722. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Isolation of the mouse cDNA homologous to the human EXT1 gene responsible for hereditary multiple exostoses. DNA Seq 7: 199–202. , .
- 1998. Expression and functional analysis of mouse EXT1, a homolog of the human multiple exostoses type 1 gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 248: 738–743. , , , .
- 1998. The putative tumor suppressors EXT1 and EXT2 are glycosyltransferases required for the biosynthesis of heparan sulfate. J Biol Chem 273: 26265–26268. , , , , .
- 2002. Heparan sulfate proteoglycan modulation of developmental signaling in Drosophila. Biochim Biophys Acta 1573: 280–291. , .
- 1998. Fgf8 is mutated in zebrafish acerebellar (ace) mutants and is required for maintenance of midbrain-hindbrain boundary development and somitogenesis. Development 125: 2381–2395. , , , , , .
- 2002. Cerebellar proteoglycans regulate sonic hedgehog responses during development. Development 129: 2223–2232. , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog is not required for the induction of medial floor plate cells in the zebrafish. Development 125: 2983–2993. , , , , , .
- 1997. Isolation and characterization of the murine homolog of the human EXT2 multiple exostoses gene. Biochem Mol Med 61: 16–21. , .
- 2000. EXT genes are differentially expressed in bone and cartilage during mouse embryogenesis. Dev Dyn 218: 452–464. , , .
- 1999. Hedgehog movement is regulated through tout velu-dependent synthesis of a heparan sulfate proteoglycan. Mol Cell 4: 633–639. , , .
- 1998. Identification of a third EXT-like gene (EXTL3) belonging to the EXT gene family. Genomics 47: 230–237. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Zebrafish smoothened functions in ventral neural tube specification and axon tract formation. Development 128: 3497–3509. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Location of the glucuronosyltransferase domain in the heparan sulfate copolymerase EXT1 by analysis of Chinese hamster ovary cell mutants. J Biol Chem 275: 27733–27740. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Identification and localization of the gene for EXTL, a third member of the multiple exostoses gene family. Genome Res 7: 10–16. , , , , .
- 1997. Identification and characterization of a novel member of the EXT gene family, EXTL2. Eur J Hum Genet 5: 382–389. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Hereditary multiple exostoses and heparan sulfate polymerization. Biochim Biophys Acta 1573: 346–355. , , .