Single base pair change in the long-range Sonic hedgehog limb-specific enhancer is a genetic basis for preaxial polydactyly
Article first published online: 6 JAN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 232, Issue 2, pages 345–348, February 2005
How to Cite
Maas, S. A. and Fallon, J. F. (2005), Single base pair change in the long-range Sonic hedgehog limb-specific enhancer is a genetic basis for preaxial polydactyly. Dev. Dyn., 232: 345–348. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20254
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2005
- Article first published online: 6 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 21 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 OCT 2004
- National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development. Grant Number: NICHD 32551
- University of Wisconsin Medical and Graduate Schools
- 2002. Unusual pattern of Sonic hedgehog expression in the polydactylous mouse mutant Hemimelic extra-toes. Int J Dev Biol 46: 969–974. , , .
- 2000. The bHLH transcription factor dHAND controls Sonic hedgehog expression and establishment of the zone of polarizing activity during limb development. Development 127: 2461–2470. , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog, a member of a family of putative signaling molecules, is implicated in the regulation on CNS polarity. Cell 75: 1417–1430. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Cis-acting regulatory sequences governing Wnt-1 expression in the developing mouse CNS. Development 120: 2213–2224. , , .
- 2000. Role of dHAND in the anterior-posterior polarization of the limb bud: implications for the Sonic hedgehog pathway. Development 127: 2133–2142. , , , , , .
- 2004. Evidence for an expansion-based temporal Shh gradient in specifying vertebrate digit identities. Cell 118: 517–528. , , , , , .
- 1997. Hoxd-12 differentially affects preaxial and postaxial chondrogenic branches in the limb and regulates Sonic hedgehog in a positive feedback loop. Development 124: 4523–4536. , , , , , , .
- 2003. A long-range Shh enhancer regulates expression in the developing limb and fin and is associated with preaxial polydactyly. Hum Mol Genet 12: 1725–1735. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Limb-patterning activity and restricted posterior localization of the amino-terminal product of Sonic hedgehog cleavage. Curr Biol 5: 791–796. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Deciphering skeletal patterning: clues from the limb. Nature 423: 319–325. , .
- 1995. A duplicated zone of polarizing activity in polydactylous mouse mutants. Genes Dev 9: 1645–1653. , , , , .
- 1997. Multigenic control of the localization of the zone of polarizing activity in limb morphogenesis in the mouse. Dev Biol 182: 42–51. , , , .
- 2003. Pattern formation: old models out on a limb. Nat Rev Genet 4: 133–143. .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75: 1401–1416. , , , .
- 2004. Phylogenetic conservation of a limb-specific, cis-acting regulator of Sonic hedgehog (Shh). Mamm Genome 15: 23–34. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Identification of sonic hedgehog as a candidate gene responsible for the polydactylous mouse mutant Sasquatch. Curr Biol 9: 97–100. , , , , , .
- 2002. Mutual genetic antagonism involving GLI3 and dHAND prepatterns the vertebrate limb bud mesenchyme prior to SHH signaling. Genes Dev 16: 421–426. , , , .
- 2003. Patterning systems—from one end of the limb to the other. Dev Cell 4: 449–458. .
- 2004. A dual role for Hox genes in limb anterior-posterior asymmetry. Science 304: 1669–1672. , , .
- 1999. Clinical and genetic studies on 12 preaxial polydactyly families and refinement of the localisation of the gene responsible to a 1.9 cM region on chromosome 7q36. J Med Genet 36: 32–40. , , , , , , , , , , , , .