Semaphorin/neuropilin signaling influences the positioning of migratory neural crest cells within the hindbrain region of the chick
Article first published online: 23 FEB 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 232, Issue 4, pages 939–949, April 2005
How to Cite
Osborne, N. J., Begbie, J., Chilton, J. K., Schmidt, H. and Eickholt, B. J. (2005), Semaphorin/neuropilin signaling influences the positioning of migratory neural crest cells within the hindbrain region of the chick. Dev. Dyn., 232: 939–949. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20258
- Issue published online: 23 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 23 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 31 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAY 2004
- Medical Research Council (UK)
- 1996. A novel class of murine semaphorins with homology to thrombospondin is differentially expressed during early embryogenesis. Mech Dev 57: 33–45. , , .
- 2001. The cytoplasmic domain of the ligand ephrinB2 is required for vascular morphogenesis but not cranial neural crest migration. Cell 104: 57–69. , , , , , .
- 1996. Ectopic expression of Hoxa-1 in the zebrafish alters the fate of the mandibular arch neural crest and phenocopies a retinoic acid-induced phenotype. Development 122: 735–746. , , , , , .
- 2001. Semaphorin 3A-vascular endothelial growth factor-165 balance mediates migration and apoptosis of neural progenitor cells by the recruitment of shared receptor. J Neurosci 21: 3332–3341. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Early- and late-migrating cranial neural crest cell populations have equivalent developmental potential in vivo. Development 124: 3077–3087. , , , .
- 2002. Cranial nerve development: placodal neurons ride the crest. Curr Biol 12: R171–R173. .
- 2001. Integration between the epibranchial placodes and the hindbrain. Science 294: 595–598. , .
- 2001. The transcription factor Sox10 is a key regulator of peripheral glial development. Genes Dev 15: 66–78. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Molecular control of neural crest formation, migration and differentiation. Curr Opin Cell Biol 12: 719–724. , , .
- 1983. Contributions of placodal and neural crest cells to avian cranial peripheral ganglia. Am J Anat 166: 445–468. , .
- 1999. Evidence for collapsin-1 functioning in the control of neural crest migration in both trunk and hindbrain regions. Development 126: 2181–2189. , , , , .
- 2001. Rhombomere interactions control the segmental differentiation of hindbrain neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci 18: 141–148. , , , .
- 2002. Apoptosis of premigratory neural crest cells in rhombomeres 3 and 5: consequences for patterning of the branchial region. Dev Biol 251: 118–128. , , .
- 1999. A paraxial exclusion zone creates patterned cranial neural crest cell outgrowth adjacent to rhombomeres 3 and 5. Dev Biol 213: 70–84. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Targeted disruption of semaphorin 3C leads to persistent truncus arteriosus and aortic arch interruption. Development 128: 3061–3070. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Semaphorin III can induce death in sensory neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci 14: 301–316. , .
- 2002. Genomic analysis of neural crest induction. Development 129: 5731–5741. , .
- 2000. Neuropilin-2 is required in vivo for selective axon guidance responses to secreted semaphorins. Neuron 25: 29–41. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Defects in pathfinding by cranial neural crest cells in mice lacking the neuregulin receptor ErbB4. Nat Cell Biol 2: 103–109. , , , .
- 2002. Cues from neuroepithelium and surface ectoderm maintain neural crest-free regions within cranial mesenchyme of the developing chick. Development 129: 1095–1105. , , .
- 2003. The neural crest. Curr Biol 13: R381–R384. .
- 1993. Even-numbered rhombomeres control the apoptotic elimination of neural crest cells from odd-numbered rhombomeres in the chick hindbrain. Development 119: 233–245. , , .
- 1994. The signalling molecule BMP4 mediates apoptosis in the rhombencephalic neural crest. Nature 372: 684–686. , , , .
- 1996. Neural crest apoptosis and the establishment of craniofacial pattern: an honorable death. Mol Cell Neurosci 8: 76–83. , , .
- 2003. Neuropilin-1 conveys semaphorin and VEGF signaling during neural and cardiovascular development. Dev Cell 5: 45–57. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. 1951. Dev Dyn 195: 231–272. , .
- 1995. Expression of a Delta homologue in prospective neurons in the chick. Nature 375: 787–790. , , , , , .
- 2002. Requirement of neuropilin 1-mediated Sema3A signals in patterning of the sympathetic nervous system. Development 129: 671–680. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Neuropilin-semaphorin III/D-mediated chemorepulsive signals play a crucial role in peripheral nerve projection in mice. Neuron 19: 995–1005. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Segmental organization of neural crest migration. Mech Dev 105: 37–45. .
- 1998. Neural crest cell dynamics revealed by time-lapse video microscopy of whole embryo chick explant cultures. Dev Biol 204: 327–344. , .
- 2000. In ovo time-lapse analysis of chick hindbrain neural crest cell migration shows cell interactions during migration to the branchial arches. Development 127: 1161–1172. , .
- 2000. In ovo time-lapse analysis after dorsal neural tube ablation shows rerouting of chick hindbrain neural crest. Development 127: 2843–2852. , , .
- 1993. Rhombomere transplantation repatterns the segmental organization of cranial nerves and reveals cell-autonomous expression of a homeodomain protein. Development 117: 105–117. , .
- 1999. The neural crest.: New York: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1995. Retinoic acid stage-dependently alters the migration pattern and identity of hindbrain neural crest cells. Development 121: 825–837. , , , , , .
- 2002. Neuropilin-1 is required for vascular development and is a mediator of VEGF-dependent angiogenesis in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 10470–10475. , , , , , .
- 1991. Segmental origin and migration of neural crest cells in the hindbrain region of the chick embryo. Development 113: 1281–1291. , , .
- 1995. Neural crest cell–cell adhesion controlled by sequential and subpopulation-specific expression of novel cadherins. Development 121: 1321–1332. , .
- 1996. Late emigrating neural crest cells migrate specifically to the exit points of cranial branchiomotor nerves. Development 122: 2367–2374. , .
- 1993. Spatial integration among cells forming the cranial peripheral nervous system. J Neurobiol 24: 248–261. .
- 2000. Role of the extracellular matrix during neural crest cell migration. Mech Dev 95: 3–21. , .
- 1995. Expression of the chicken retinoid X receptor-gamma gene in migrating cranial neural crest cells. Anat Embryol (Berl) 192: 1–8. , .
- 1991. A member of the RXR nuclear receptor family is expressed in neural-crest-derived cells of the developing chick peripheral nervous system. Development 111: 771–778. , , .
- 1993. Segmental migration of the hindbrain neural crest does not arise from its segmental generation. Development 118: 691–703. , , , , .
- 1992. Vital dye analysis of cranial neural crest cell migration in the mouse embryo. Development 116: 297–307. , , .
- 2003. Class 3 semaphorins control vascular morphogenesis by inhibiting integrin function. Nature 424: 391–397. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. The distribution of collapsin-1 mRNA in the developing chick nervous system. Dev Biol 173: 185–199. , , , .
- 1999. Semaphorins as mediators of neuronal apoptosis. J Neurochem 73: 961–971. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Induction of neuronal apoptosis by Semaphorin3A-derived peptide. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 83: 81–93. , , , , .
- 2001. Restricting Bmp-4 mediated apoptosis in hindbrain neural crest. Dev Dyn 220: 276–283. , .
- 1997. The EphA4 and EphB1 receptor tyrosine kinases and ephrin-B2 ligand regulate targeted migration of branchial neural crest cells. Curr Biol 7: 561–570. , , , .
- 2002. Twist function is required for the morphogenesis of the cephalic neural tube and the differentiation of the cranial neural crest cells in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 247: 251–270. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Sox10 mutation disrupts neural crest development in Dom Hirschsprung mouse model. Nat Genet 18: 60–64. , , .
- 2002. Terminal differentiation of myelin-forming oligodendrocytes depends on the transcription factor Sox10. Genes Dev 16: 165–170. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Plexin-neuropilin-1 complexes form functional semaphorin-3A receptors. Cell 99: 59–69. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Plexins are a large family of receptors for transmembrane, secreted, and GPI-anchored semaphorins in vertebrates. Cell 99: 71–80. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1982. The segregation and early migration of cranial neural crest cells in the avian embryo. Dev Biol 89: 13–24. .
- 2002. Signalling between the hindbrain and paraxial tissues dictates neural crest migration pathways. Development 129: 433–442. , , , .