Interactions between the Notch, EGFR, and decapentaplegic signaling pathways regulate vein differentiation during Drosophila pupal wing development
Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Drosophila as a Model System
Volume 232, Issue 3, pages 738–752, March 2005
How to Cite
Sotillos, S. and De Celis, J. F. (2005), Interactions between the Notch, EGFR, and decapentaplegic signaling pathways regulate vein differentiation during Drosophila pupal wing development. Dev. Dyn., 232: 738–752. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20270
- Issue online: 18 FEB 2005
- Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 30 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAY 2004
- Ministry of Science and Technology. Grant Number: BCM2000-1191
- Ramón Areces Foundation
- 1998. Boundaries in the Drosophila wing imaginal disc organise vein-specific genetic programs. Development 125: 4245–4257. , , .
- 1993. Targeted gene expression as a means of altering cell fates and generating dominant phenotypes. Development 118: 401–415. , .
- 1998. Signalling by the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor is required for the specification and diversification of embryonic muscle progenitors. Development 125: 2075–2086. , , , , .
- 2002. Reciprocal regulatory interactions between the Notch and Ras signaling pathways in the Drosophila embryonic mesoderm. Dev Biol 244: 226–242. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Connecting Hh, Dpp and EGF signalling in patterning of the Drosophila wing; the pivotal role of collier/knot in the AP organiser. Development 129: 4261–4269. , , .
- 1997. Expression and function of decapentaplegic and thick veins during the differentiation of the veins in the Drosophila wing. Development 124: 1007–1018. ,
- 1998. Positioning and differentiation of veins in the Drosophila wing. Int J Dev Biol 42: 335–343. .
- 2003. Pattern formation in the Drosophila wing: the development of the veins. Bioessays 25: 443–451. .
- 2000. Function of the spalt/spalt-related gene complex in positioning the veins in the Drosophila wing. Mech Dev 91: 31–41. , .
- 1994. Roles of the Notch gene in Drosophila wing morphogenesis. Mech Dev 46: 109–122. , .
- 1995. ventral veinless, the gene encoding the Cf1a transcription factor, links positional information and cell differentiation during embryonic and imaginal development in D. melanogaster. Development 121: 3405–3416. , , .
- 1996. A gene complex acting downstream of dpp in Drosophila wing morphogenesis. Nature 381: 421–424. , , .
- 1997. Notch signalling regulates veinlet expression and establishes boundaries between veins and interveins in the Drosophila wing. Development 124: 1919–1928. , , .
- 1998. Notch signalling mediates segmentation of the Drosophila leg. Development 125: 4617–4626. , , , .
- 2000. Gradient formation of the TGF-beta homolog Dpp. Cell 103: 981–991. , , .
- 1994. blistered; a gene required for vein/intervein formation in wings of Drosophila. Development 120: 2661–2686. , , , , , , .
- 2001. mtv shapes the activity gradient of the Dpp morphogen through regulation of thick veins. Development 128: 67–74. , , .
- 1997. In situ activation of Drosophila EGF receptor pathway during development. Science 277: 1103–1106. , , .
- 1996. argos transcription is induced by the Drosophila EGF receptor pathway to form an inhibitory feedback loop. Development 122: 223–230. , , , .
- 1996. araucan and caupolican provide a link between compartment subdivisions and patterning of sensory organs and veins in the Drosophila wing. Genes Dev 10: 2935–2945. , .
- 1996. araucan and caupolican, two members of the novel Iroquois complex, encode homeoproteins that control proneural and vein-forming genes. Cell 85: 95–105. , , , , .
- 1999. rhomboid and Star interact synergistically to promote EGFR/MAPK signaling during Drosophila wing vein development. Development 126: 2663–2676. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Ras pathway specificity is determined by the integration of multiple signal-activated and tissue-restricted transcription factors. Cell 103: 63–74. , , , , , , .
- 1996. A test for cell autonomy, based on di-cistronic messenger translation. Development 122: 747–751. , .
- 1995. Targeted ablation of glia disrupts axon tract formation in the Drosophila CNS. Development 121: 3703–3712. , , .
- 1997. Feedback regulation is central to Delta-Notch signalling required for Drosophila wing vein morphogenesis. Development 124: 3283–3291. , , .
- 1997. The Drosophila mushroom body is a quadruple structure of clonal units each of which contains a virtually identical set of neurones and glial cells. Development 124: 761–771. , , , , .
- 1999. The Drosophila gene brinker reveals a novel mechanism of Dpp target gene regulation. Cell 96: 563–573. , , , , .
- 1994. Characterisation of Star and its interactions with sevenless and EGF receptor during photoreceptor cell development in Drosophila. Development 120: 1731–1745. , , , , .
- 1993. Implications of dynamic patterns of Delta and Notch expression for cellular interactions during Drosophila development. Development 117: 493–507. , , .
- 1996. Morphogens, compartments, and pattern: lessons from Drosophila? Cell 85: 951–961. , .
- 2000. Structural requirements for Notch signalling with Delta and Serrate during the development and patterning of the wing disc of Drosophila. Development 127: 3185–3195. , , , .
- 2001. Regulated intracellular ligand transport and proteolysis control EGF signal activation in Drosophila. Cell 107: 161–171. , , , .
- 1977. ventral veinless, a POU domain transcription factor, regulates multiple transduction pathways required for tracheal branching in Drosophila. Development 124: 3273–3281. , .
- 1998. The knirps and knirps-related genes organize development of the second wing vein in Drosophila. Development 125: 4145–4154. , , , .
- 1999. A temporal switch in DER signaling controls the specification and differentiation of veins and interveins in the Drosophila wing. Development 126: 5739–5747. , , , , , .
- 1999. brinker is a target of Dpp in Drosophila that negatively regulates Dpp-dependent genes. Nature 398: 242–246. , , , , .
- 2000. Activation of knot specifies the 3-4 intervein region in the Drosophila wing. Development 127: 55–63. , , , , .
- 1996. The Drosophila serum response factor gene is required for the formation of intervein tissue of the wing and is allelic to blistered. Development 122: 2589–2597. , , , , , .
- 1997. Hedgehog activity, independent of Decapentaplegic, participates in wing disc patterning. Development 124: 1227–1237. , , , .
- 1996. Direct and long range action of a DPP morphogen gradient. Cell 85: 357–368. , , , .
- 1999. Negative feedback mechanisms and their roles during pattern formation. Cell 97: 13–16. , .
- 1998. Genetic interactions and cell behaviour in blistered mutants during proliferation and differentiation of the Drosophila wing. Development 125: 1823–1832. , , , .
- 1982. Genetic transformation of Drosophila with transposable element vectors. Science 218: 348–353. , .
- 2004. Conserved cross-interactions between Ras/MAPK signalling and the dual-specificity phosphatase MKP3. Dev Dyn (in press). , , , , , , .
- 1978. Temperature-sensitive periods and autonomy of pleiotropic effects of l(1)Nts1, a conditional Notch lethal in Drosophila. Dev Biol 62: 432–446. , .
- 1994. Ectopic decapentaplegic in the Drosophila midgut alters the expression of five homeotic genes, dpp, and wingless, causing specific morphological defects. Dev Biol 164: 502–512. , .
- 1995. Analysis of the genetic hierarchy guiding wing vein development in Drosophila. Development 121: 785–801. , .
- 1993. The Drosophila rhomboid gene mediates the localized formation of wing veins and interacts genetically with components of the EGF-R signalling pathway. Genes Dev 7: 961–973. , , .
- 2000. Hedgehog creates a gradient of DPP activity in Drosophila wing imaginal discs. Mol Cell 5: 59–71. , , , .
- 2000. Dpp gradient formation in the Drosophila wing imaginal disc. Cell 103: 971–980. , .
- 1997. Daughters against dpp modulates dpp organizing activity in Drosophila wing development. Nature 389: 627–631. , , , , , .
- 1999. The COE transcription factor Collier is a mediator of short-range Hedgehog-induced patterning of the Drosophila wing. Curr Biol 9: 632–639. , , , .
- 1997. Control of EGF receptor activation in Drosophila. Trends Cell Biol 7: 431–436. , .
- 1996. The Drosophila decapentaplegic and short gastrulation genes function antagonistically during adult wing vein development. Development 122: 4033–4044. , , , , , , .