Reviews–A Peer Reviewed Forum
Organ specification–growth control connection: New in-sights from the Drosophila eye–antennal disc
Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Drosophila as a Model System
Volume 232, Issue 3, pages 673–684, March 2005
How to Cite
Domínguez, M. and Casares, F. (2005), Organ specification–growth control connection: New in-sights from the Drosophila eye–antennal disc. Dev. Dyn., 232: 673–684. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20311
- Issue online: 18 FEB 2005
- Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 9 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Received: 2 SEP 2004
- EMBO Young Investigator Award. Grant Numbers: EMBO YIP2000/0048, EMBO YIP2000/0059
- Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología. Grant Numbers: BMC2003-02548, BMC2003-06248
- Generalitat Valenciana (Spain). Grant Number: GV04/040
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (Portugal). Grant Numbers: POCTI/BME/37402/2001, POCTI/CBO/44770/2002, POCTI/BME/44157/2002
- 2003. The Pax-homeobox gene eyegone is involved in the subdivision of the thorax of Drosophila. Development 130: 4473–4482. , , .
- 2003. A sensitized genetic screen to identify novel regulators and components of the Drosophila janus kinase/signal transducer and activator of transcription pathway. Genetics 165: 1149–1166. , , , .
- 1978. A clonal analysis reveals early developmental restrictions in the Drosophila head. Dev Biol 62: 447–463. .
- 2001. Cell proliferation, survival, and death in the Drosophila eye. Semin Cell Dev Biol 12: 499–507. .
- 2001. The EGF receptor defines domains of cell cycle progression and survival to regulate cell number in the developing Drosophila eye. Cell 104: 699–708. , .
- 2002. Control of Drosophila eye specification by Wingless signalling. Development 129: 5313–5322. , .
- 2002. Pointed and Tramtrack69 establish an EGFR-dependent transcriptional switch to regulate mitosis. Nat Cell Biol 4: 976–980. , , , .
- 2002. Combinatorial control of Drosophila eye development by eyeless, homothorax, and teashirt. Genes Dev 15: 2415–2427. , , , , .
- 1993. The eyes absent gene: genetic control of cell survival and differentiation in the developing Drosophila eye. Cell 72: 379–395. , , .
- 1997. The Drosophila eyes absent gene directs ectopic eye formation in a pathway conserved between flies and vertebrates. Development 124: 4819–4826. , , , .
- 1998. Mutual regulation of decapentaplegic and hedgehog during the initiation of differentiation in the Drosophila retina. Dev Biol 197: 187–197. , .
- 1998. Environmental control of the cell cycle in Drosophila: nutrition activates mitotic and endoreplicative cells by distinct mechanisms. Development 125: 2149–2158. , .
- 1996. wingless signaling in the Drosophila eye and embryonic epidermis. Development 122: 2801–2812. , .
- 2002. Six3 inactivation reveals its essential role for the formation and patterning of the vertebrate eye. Development 129: 4057–4063. , , .
- 1998. Control of antennal versus leg development in Drosophila. Nature 392: 723–726. , .
- 1999. Compartments and organising boundaries in the Drosophila eye: the role of the homeodomain Iroquois proteins. Development 126: 4933–4942. , , , .
- 2000. The Iroquois homeobox genes function as dorsal selectors in the Drosophila head. Development 127: 1921–1929. , , .
- 2001. Dpp and Hh signaling in the Drosophila embryonic eye field. Development 128: 4691–4704. , , , , .
- 1997. Role of decapentaplegic in initiation and progression of the morphogenetic furrow in the developing Drosophila retina. Development 124: 559–567. , .
- 2004. Localized Notch signal acts through eyg and upd to promote global growth in Drosophila eye. Development 131: 3839–3847. , , , .
- 1997. Dachshund and eyes absent proteins form a complex and function synergistically to induce ectopic eye development in Drosophila. Cell 91: 893–903. , , , .
- 1999. Signaling by the TGF-beta homolog decapentaplegic functions reiteratively within the network of genes controlling retinal cell fate determination in Drosophila. Development 126: 935–943. , , , .
- 1994. The Drosophila sine oculis locus encodes a homeodomain-containing protein required for the development of the entire visual system. Neuron 12: 977–996. , , , , , .
- 1998. Fringe is essential for mirror symmetry and morphogenesis in the Drosophila eye. Nature 396: 272–276. , .
- 2000. Novel signaling from the peripodial membrane is essential for eye disc patterning in Drosophila. Cell 103: 331–342. , , , .
- 2000. Morphogenetic furrow initiation and progression during eye development in Drosophila: the roles of decapentaplegic, hedgehog and eyes absent. Development 127: 1325–1336. , .
- 1999. twin of eyeless, a second Pax-6 gene of Drosophila, acts upstream of eyeless in the control of eye development. Mol Cell 3: 297–307. , , , , , .
- 1993. The control of cell fate in the embryonic visual system by atonal, tailless and EGFR signaling. Development 126: 2945–2954. , , , .
- 1997. Eye development: governed by a dictator or a junta? Cell 91: 861–864. .
- 1998. A dorsal/ventral boundary established by Notch controls growth and polarity in the Drosophila eye. Nature 396: 276–278. , .
- 1997. Hedgehog directly controls initiation and propagation of retinal differentiation in the Drosophila eye. Genes Dev 11: 3254–3264. , .
- 1998. Multiple functions of the EGF receptor in Drosophila eye development. Curr Biol 8: 1039–1048. , , .
- 2004. Growth and specification of the eye are controlled independently by Eyegone and Eyeless in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Genet 36: 31–39. , , , , .
- 2000. Coexpression of the homeobox genes Distal-less and homothorax determines Drosophila antennal identity. Development 127: 209–216. , , .
- 1999. Hormonal control of male horn length dimorphism in the dung beetle Onthophagus taurus (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae). J Insect Physiol 45: 45–53. , .
- 2000. The development and evolution of exaggerated morphologies in insects. Annu Rev Entomol 45: 661–708. , .
- 1991. The gene teashirt is required for the development of Drosophila embryonic trunk segments and encodes a protein with widely spaced zinc finger motifs. Cell 64: 63–79. , , , , , , .
- 2002. R8 development in the Drosophila eye: a paradigm for neural selection and differentiation. Development 129: 1295–1306. , .
- 1996. Reiterative use of the EGF receptor triggers differentiation of all cell types in the Drosophila eye. Cell 87: 651–660. .
- 1975. The mechanism of evagination of imaginal discs of Drosophila melanogaster. 1. General considerations. Dev Biol 43: 1–23. , .
- 2002. The genetic control of eye development and its implications for the evolution of the various eye-types. Int J Dev Biol 46: 65–73. .
- 2000. Peripodial cells regulate proliferation and patterning of Drosophila imaginal discs. Cell 103: 343–350. , .
- 1999. Progression of the morphogenetic furrow in the Drosophila eye: the roles of Hedgehog, Decapentaplegic and the Raf pathway. Development 126: 5795–5808. , .
- 2003. Glycosylation regulates Notch signalling. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 4: 786–797. , .
- 1995. Induction of ectopic eyes by targeted expression of the eyeless gene in Drosophila. Science 267: 1788–1792. , , .
- 1998. Eyeless initiates the expression of both sine oculis and eyes absent during Drosophila compound eye development. Development 125: 2181–2191. , , , , , .
- 2001. Ras controls growth, survival and differentiation in the Drosophila eye by different thresholds of MAP kinase activity. Development 128: 1687–1696. , , , .
- 2004. The basic helix-loop-helix leucine zipper transcription factor Mitf is conserved in Drosophila and functions in eye development. Genetics 167: 233–241. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Mammalian and Drosophila dachshund genes are related to the Ski proto-oncogene and are expressed in eye and limb. Mech Dev 74: 121–131. , , , , .
- 2001. Mammalian homologues of the Drosophila eye specification genes. Semin Cell Dev Biol 12: 475–484. .
- 1986. Development of the eye-antenna imaginal disc and morphogenesis of the adult head in Drosophila melanogaster. J Exp Zool 237: 293–308. , .
- 1998. decapentaplegic and wingless are regulated by eyes absent and eyegone and interact to direct the pattern of retinal differentiation in the eye disc. Development 125: 3741–3751. , , , .
- 2000. Early retinal development in Drosophila. Results Probl Cell Differ 31: 37–50. , .
- 1993. The TGF beta homolog dpp and the segment polarity gene hedgehog are required for propagation of a morphogenetic wave in the Drosophila retina. Cell 75: 913–926. , , .
- 2002. The fertile field of Drosophila Jak/STAT signalling. Curr Biol 12: R569–R575. , .
- 1998. Decapentaplegic is required for arrest in G1 phase during Drosophila eye development. Development 125: 5069–5078. , , , , .
- 1999. Fringe, Notch, and making developmental boundaries. Curr Opin Genet Dev 9: 434–441. .
- 2003. Two Pax genes, eye gone and eyeless, act cooperatively in promoting Drosophila eye development. Development 130: 2939–2951. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Lune/eye gone, a Pax-like protein, uses a partial paired domain and a homeodomain for DNA recognition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 13720–13725. , , , , .
- 1993. The terminal regions of the body pattern. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. p 687–746. , .
- 1999. A new family of growth factors produced by the fat body and active on Drosophila imaginal disc cells. Development 126: 211–219. , , , , .
- 2003. Coordinating proliferation and tissue specification to promote regional identity in the Drosophila head. Dev Cell 5: 403–414. , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular cloning and expression of the human and mouse homologues of the Drosophila dachshund gene. Dev Genes Evol 209: 537–545. , , , , , , .
- 2001. EGF receptor and Notch signaling act upstream of Eyeless/Pax6 to control eye specification. Cell 104: 687–697. , .
- 1998. Dissecting the roles of the Drosophila EGF receptor in eye development and MAP kinase activation. Development 125: 3875–3885. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Six3 repression of Wnt signaling in the anterior neuroectoderm is essential for vertebrate forebrain development. Genes Dev 17: 368–379. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The role of Wingless signaling in establishing the anteroposterior and dorsoventral axes of the eye disc. Development 128: 1519–1529. , .
- 2003. Eya protein phosphatase activity regulates Six1-Dach-Eya transcriptional effects in mammalian organogenesis. Nature 426: 247–254. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Drosophila eye disc margin is a center for organizing long-range planar polarity. Genesis 39: 26–37. , .
- 1999. Six3 overexpression initiates the formation of ectopic retina. Genes Dev 13: 649–654. , , .
- 1995. Wingless and patched are negative regulators of the morphogenetic furrow and can affect tissue polarity in the developing Drosophila compound eye. Development 121: 2279–2289. , .
- 1994. dachshund encodes a nuclear protein required for normal eye and leg development in Drosophila. Development 120: 3473–3486. , , .
- 2001. Pax6 is required for the multipotent state of retinal progenitor cells. Cell 105: 43–55. , , , , , .
- 2004. Eye development: a view from the retina pigmented epithelium. Bioessays 26: 766–777. , , .
- 2000. Pannier acts upstream of wingless to direct dorsal eye disc development in Drosophila. Development 127: 1007–1016. , .
- 1979. Development of the eye-antenna imaginal disc of Drosophila. Dev Biol 70: 355–371. , .
- 2000. Signaling and transcriptional regulation in early mammalian eye development: a link between FGF and MITF. Development 127: 3581–3591. , .
- 1998. Competition among body parts in the development and evolution of insect morphology. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 3685–3689. , .
- 1995. Six3, a murine homologue of the sine oculis gene, demarcates the most anterior border of the developing neural plate and is expressed during eye development. Development 121: 4045–4055. , , , , , .
- 1998. The Homothorax homeoprotein activates the nuclear localization of another homeoprotein, extradenticle, and suppresses eye development in Drosophila. Genes Dev 12: 435–446. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Targeted expression of teashirt induces ectopic eyes in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 15508–15512. , .
- 1998. Dorsal-ventral signaling in the Drosophila eye. Science 281: 2031–2034. , , , , .
- 2003. Mechanism of hedgehog signaling during Drosophila eye development. Development 130: 3053–3062. , , , , , .
- 2004. Invasive cell behavior during Drosophila imaginal disc eversion is mediated by the JNK signaling cascade. Dev Cell 7: 387–399. , , , .
- 2000. homothorax and iroquois-C genes are required for the establishment of territories within the developing eye disc. Mech Dev 96: 15–25. , .
- 2001. Reinventing a common strategy for patterning the eye. Cell 105: 9–12. , , .
- 1997. The eye-specification proteins So and Eya form a complex and regulate multiple steps in Drosophila eye development. Cell 91: 881–891. , , , , , .
- 2002. The genetic network of prototypic planarian eye regeneration is Pax6 independent. Development 129: 1423–1434. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Specific Pax-6/microphthalmia transcription factor interactions involve their DNA-binding domains and inhibit transcriptional properties of both proteins. J Biol Chem 276: 29330–29337. , , , , .
- 2002. Differential interactions of eyeless and twin of eyeless with the sine oculis enhancer. Development 129: 625–634. , , , , .
- 2004. Functional divergence between eyeless and twin of eyeless in Drosophila melanogaster. Development 131: 3943–3953. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Homology of the eyeless gene of Drosophila to the Small eye gene in mice and Aniridia in humans. Science 265: 785–789. , , , .
- 2003. Eyes absent represents a class of protein tyrosine phosphatases. Nature 426: 295–298. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Nuclear translocation of extradenticle requires homothorax, which encodes an extradenticle-related homeodomain protein. Cell 91: 171–183. , , , , .
- 2004. Growth and specification: fly Pax6 homologs eyegone and eyeless have distinct functions. Bioessays 26: 600–603. , .
- 1996. hedgehog, wingless and orthodenticle specify adult head development in Drosophila. Development 122: 1849–1858. , .
- 2000. The Drosophila homeobox gene optix is capable of inducing ectopic eyes by an eyeless-independent mechanism. Development 127: 1879–1886. , .
- 1994. sine oculis is a homeobox gene required for Drosophila visual system development. Genetics 138: 1137–1150. , .
- 1997. Direct regulation of rhodopsin 1 by Pax-6/eyeless in Drosophila: evidence for a conserved function in photoreceptors. Genes Dev 11: 1122–1131. , , , , .
- 2003. Initial state of the Drosophila eye before dorsoventral specification is equivalent to ventral. Development 130: 6351–6360. , .
- 2002. Eye suppression, a novel function of teashirt, requires Wingless signaling. Development 129: 4271–4280. , , .
- 2004. Dorso-ventral asymmetric functions of teashirt in Drosophila eye development depend on spatial cues provided by early DV patterning genes. Mech Dev 121: 365–370. , , , .
- 1999. The developmental basis for allometry in insects. Development 126: 1091–1101. , .
- 1996. Developmental territories created by mutual antagonism between Wingless and Decapentaplegic. Development 122: 3939–3948. , , , .
- 2003. Patterning the peripheral retina of the fly: decoding a gradient. Dev Cell 5: 799–809. .
- 2003. The transcription factor Eyes absent is a protein tyrosine phosphatase. Nature 426: 299–302. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Eye development in Drosophila: formation of the eye field and control of differentiation. Curr Top Dev Biol 39: 119–158. , .
- 1995. wingless inhibits morphogenetic furrow movement in the Drosophila eye disc. Development 121: 3519–3527. , .
- 2004. Long-range effect of upd, a ligand for Jak/STAT pathway, on cell cycle in Drosophila eye development. Genesis 39: 141–153. , .
- 2004. Signal integration during development: insights from the Drosophila eye. Dev Dyn 229: 162–175. , .
- 2003. Homothorax switches function of Drosophila photoreceptors from color to polarized light sensors. Cell 115: 267–279. , , , , , .
- 1996. Mad acts downstream of Dpp receptors, revealing a differential requirement for dpp signaling in initiation and propagation of morphogenesis in the Drosophila eye. Development 122: 2153–2162. , , , .
- 2004. Early steps in the development of the forebrain. Dev Cell 6: 167–181. , .
- 1993. Patttern formation in the Drosophila retina. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. p 1277–1325. , .
- 1999. Fringe: defining borders by regulating the notch pathway. Curr Opin Neurobiol 9: 537–543. , .
- 1999. mirror controls planar polarity and equator formation through repression of fringe expression and through control of cell affinities. Development 126: 5857–5866. , , .
- 2001. Role of the EGFR/Ras/Raf pathway in specification of photoreceptor cells in the Drosophila retina. Development 128: 1183–1191. , .
- 2003. Cell cycle withdrawal, progression, and cell survival regulation by EGFR and its effectors in the differentiating Drosophila eye. Dev Cell 4: 359–369. , .
- 2002. Meis homeoproteins directly regulate Pax6 during vertebrate lens morphogenesis. Genes Dev 16: 2097–2107. , , , , .
- 1999. Giant eyes in Xenopus laevis by overexpression of XOptx2. Cell 98: 341–352. , , , , .