Sox10 overexpression induces neural crest-like cells from all dorsoventral levels of the neural tube but inhibits differentiation
Article first published online: 14 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Limb Development
Volume 233, Issue 2, pages 430–444, June 2005
How to Cite
McKeown, S. J., Lee, V. M., Bronner-Fraser, M., Newgreen, D. F. and Farlie, P. G. (2005), Sox10 overexpression induces neural crest-like cells from all dorsoventral levels of the neural tube but inhibits differentiation. Dev. Dyn., 233: 430–444. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20341
- Issue published online: 12 MAY 2005
- Article first published online: 14 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 17 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2004
- NHMRC. Grant Number: 284522
- NIH. Grant Number: NS42287
- 1992. Expression of cell adhesion molecules during initiation and cessation of neural crest cell migration. Dev Dyn 194: 12–20. , .
- 2002. The transcription factor Sox9 has essential roles in successive steps of the chondrocyte differentiation pathway and is required for expression of Sox5 and Sox6. Genes Dev 16: 2813–2828. , , , , .
- 2003. Sox10 regulates the development of neural crest-derived melanocytes in Xenopus. Dev Biol 259: 19–33. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Notochord grafts do not suppress formation of neural crest cells or commissural neurons. Development 116: 877–886. , .
- 2002. Early induction of neural crest cells: lessons learned from frog, fish and chick. Curr Opin Genet Dev 12: 452–458. , .
- 2002. Extracellular signals, cell interactions and transcription factors involved in the induction of the neural crest cells. Biol Res 35: 267–275. , , .
- 1997. SOX9 directly regulates the type-II collagen gene. Nat Genet 16: 174–178. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. SOX8 expression during chick embryogenesis. Mech Dev 94: 257–260. , , .
- 2003. Dimerization of SOX9 is required for chondrogenesis, but not for sex determination. Hum Mol Genet 12: 1755–1765. , , , , , .
- 2001. Haploinsufficiency of Sox9 results in defective cartilage primordia and premature skeletal mineralization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 6698–6703. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression of the SOX10 gene during human development. FEBS Lett 432: 168–172. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Interaction among SOX10, PAX3 and MITF, three genes altered in Waardenburg syndrome. Hum Mol Genet 9: 1907–1917. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Human Connexin 32, a gap junction protein altered in the X-linked form of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, is directly regulated by the transcription factor SOX10. Hum Mol Genet 10: 2783–2795. , , , , , .
- 2000. Phylogeny of the SOX family of developmental transcription factors based on sequence and structural indicators. Dev Biol 227: 239–255. , , .
- 2001. The transcription factor Sox10 is a key regulator of peripheral glial development. Genes Dev 15: 66–78. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Analysis of the early stages of trunk neural crest migration in avian embryos using monoclonal antibody HNK-1. Dev Biol 115: 44–55. .
- 2000. Chick sox10, a transcription factor expressed in both early neural crest cells and central nervous system. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 121: 233–241. , , , , .
- 2001. Sox8 gene expression identifies immature glial cells in developing cerebellum and cerebellar tumours. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 92: 193–200. , , , , .
- 2003. Neural crest development is regulated by the transcription factor Sox9. Development 130: 5681–5693. , .
- 2000. Molecular control of neural crest formation, migration and differentiation. Curr Opin Cell Biol 12: 719–724. , , .
- 2002. Overexpression of snail family members highlights their ability to promote chick neural crest formation. Development 129: 1583–1593. , .
- 1995. Dorsalization of the neural tube by the non-neural ectoderm. Development 121: 2099–2106. , , , .
- 2001. The winged-helix transcription factor Foxd3 suppresses interneuron differentiation and promotes neural crest cell fate. Development 128: 4127–4138. , , , .
- 2001. Zebrafish colourless encodes sox10 and specifies non-ectomesenchymal neural crest fates. Development 128: 4113–4125. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Bimodal functions of Notch-mediated signaling are involved in neural crest formation during avian ectoderm development. Development 129: 863–873. , , .
- 1994. Campomelic dysplasia and autosomal sex reversal caused by mutations in an SRY-related gene. Nature 372: 525–530. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Genomic analysis of neural crest induction. Development 129: 5731–5741. , .
- 2002. Ectodermal Wnt function as a neural crest inducer. Science 297: 848–851. , , .
- 1988. The neural crest. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1999. Regulation and role of Sox9 in cartilage formation. Dev Dyn 215: 69–78. , , .
- 2003. Sox10 is required for the early development of the prospective neural crest in Xenopus embryos. Dev Biol 260: 79–96. , , .
- 2000. Pairing SOX off: with partners in the regulation of embryonic development. Trends Genet 16: 182–187. , , .
- 1999. Early death of neural crest cells is responsible for total enteric aganglionosis in Sox10(Dom)/Sox10(Dom) mouse embryos. Pediatr Dev Pathol 2: 559–569. .
- 2003. SOX10 maintains multipotency and inhibits neuronal differentiation of neural crest stem cells. Neuron 38: 17–31. , , , .
- 1992. Avian neural crest cells express a melanogenic trait during early migration from the neural tube: observations with the new monoclonal antibody, ‘MEBL-1’. Development 114: 367–378. , , , , .
- 2001. The winged-helix transcription factor FoxD3 is important for establishing the neural crest lineage and repressing melanogenesis in avian embryos. Development 128: 1467–1479. , , , .
- 1998. Sox10, a novel transcriptional modulator in glial cells. J Neurosci 18: 237–250. , , , , .
- 1998. Neural crest induction in Xenopus: evidence for a two-signal model. Development 125: 2403–2414. , .
- 2000. Snail-related transcriptional repressors are required in Xenopus for both the induction of the neural crest and its subsequent migration. Dev Biol 221: 195–205. , .
- 2000. Pax3 is required for enteric ganglia formation and functions with Sox10 to modulate expression of c-ret. J Clin Invest 106: 963–971. , , , , , .
- 1982. The neural crest. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2002. Zebrafish sox9b is an early neural crest marker. Dev Genes Evol 212: 203–206. , , , , .
- 1995. Dorsal differentiation of neural plate cells induced by BMP-mediated signals from epidermal ectoderm. Cell 82: 969–979. , , , .
- 1998. A role for rhoB in the delamination of neural crest cells from the dorsal neural tube. Development 125: 5055–5067. , .
- 1987. Neural crest cell migratory pathways in the trunk of the chick embryo. Dev Biol 121: 220–236. , .
- 1987. The neural tube origin of ventral root sheath cells in the chick embryo. Development 101: 247–254. , , , .
- 2003. The importance of having your SOX on: role of SOX10 in the development of neural crest-derived melanocytes and glia. Oncogene 22: 3024–3034. , .
- 1995. Control of N-cadherin-mediated intercellular adhesion in migrating neural crest cells in vitro. J Cell Sci 108(Pt 12): 3839–3853. , .
- 2003. Sox9 is required for determination of the chondrogenic cell lineage in the cranial neural crest. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 9360–9365. , , , .
- 1996. A chick homologue of Serrate and its relationship with Notch and Delta homologues during central neurogenesis. Dev Biol 174: 233–247. , , , .
- 1995. Neural crest cell–cell adhesion controlled by sequential and subpopulation-specific expression of novel cadherins. Development 121: 1321–1332. , .
- 1998. Neural crest emigration from the neural tube depends on regulated cadherin expression. Development 125: 2963–2971. , .
- 1986. Morphogenesis of sclerotome and neural crest in avian embryos. In vivo and in vitro studies on the role of notochordal extracellular material. Cell Tissue Res 244: 299–313. , , .
- 1994. Control of cell behavior during vertebrate development by Slug, a zinc finger gene. Science 264: 835–839. , , , .
- 2001. Survival and glial fate acquisition of neural crest cells are regulated by an interplay between the transcription factor Sox10 and extrinsic combinatorial signaling. Development 128: 3949–3961. , , , , .
- 2000. The role of Sonic hedgehog in neural tube patterning. Cell Mol Life Sci 57: 1695–1708. , .
- 2000. The glial transcription factor Sox10 binds to DNA both as monomer and dimer with different functional consequences. Nucleic Acids Res 28: 3047–3055. , .
- 2000. Protein zero gene expression is regulated by the glial transcription factor Sox10. Mol Cell Biol 20: 3198–3209. , , , .
- 1998. SOX10 mutations in patients with Waardenburg-Hirschsprung disease. Nat Genet 18: 171–173. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Transcription factor hierarchy in Waardenburg syndrome: regulation of MITF expression by SOX10 and PAX3. Hum Genet 107: 1–6. , , , , .
- 1998. The SOX10/Sox10 gene from human and mouse: sequence, expression, and transactivation by the encoded HMG domain transcription factor. Hum Genet 103: 115–123. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. The migration of neural crest cells and the growth of motor axons through the rostral half of the chick somite. J Embryol Exp Morphol 90: 437–455. , , .
- 2000. Cloning and characterisation of the Sry-related transcription factor gene Sox8. Nucleic Acids Res 28: 1473–1480. , , , .
- 2002. Cooperative binding of Sox10 to DNA: requirements and consequences. Nucleic Acids Res 30: 5509–5516. , , , .
- 1999. Regulation of the onset of neural crest migration by coordinated activity of BMP4 and Noggin in the dorsal neural tube. Development 126: 4749–4762. , .
- 1995. Origins of the avian neural crest: the role of neural plate-epidermal interactions. Development 121: 525–538. , .
- 1998. Effects of Shh and Noggin on neural crest formation demonstrate that BMP is required in the neural tube but not ectoderm. Development 125: 4919–4930. , , , .
- 2001. Development and degeneration of dorsal root ganglia in the absence of the HMG-domain transcription factor Sox10. Mech Dev 109: 253–265. , , , , , .
- 1998. Sox10 mutation disrupts neural crest development in Dom Hirschsprung mouse model. Nat Genet 18: 60–64. , , .
- 2002. The transcription factor Sox9 is required for cranial neural crest development in Xenopus. Development 129: 421–432. , , , , .
- 1997. Neural tube-ectoderm interactions are required for trigeminal placode formation. Development 124: 4287–4295. , , , .
- 1994. A simple and efficient procedure for non-isotopic in situ hybridization to sectioned material. Trends Genet 10: 75–76. , , , .
- 2001. EphA4/ephrin-A5 interactions in muscle precursor cell migration in the avian forelimb. Development 128: 4669–4680. , , , .
- 2001. Sonic hedgehog restricts adhesion and migration of neural crest cells independently of the Patched- Smoothened-Gli signaling pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 12521–12526. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Identical reactivity of monoclonal antibodies HNK-1 and NC-1: conservation in vertebrates on cells derived from the neural primordium and on some leukocytes. Cell Differ 14: 223–230. , , , , .
- 2002. Posteriorization by FGF, Wnt, and retinoic acid is required for neural crest induction. Dev Biol 241: 289–301. , , , .
- 1983. A cell surface determinant expressed early on migrating avian neural crest cells. Brain Res 285: 235–238. , , .
- 1994. Autosomal sex reversal and campomelic dysplasia are caused by mutations in and around the SRY-related gene SOX9. Cell 79: 1111–1120. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Avian neural crest-derived neurogenic precursors undergo apoptosis on the lateral migration pathway. Development 125: 4205–4213. , , , .
- 1963. A radioautographic analysis of the migration and localization of trunk neural crest cells in the chick. Dev Biol 6: 279–310. .
- 2002. Matching SOX: partner proteins and co-factors of the SOX family of transcriptional regulators. Curr Opin Genet Dev 12: 441–446. , .
- 1995. The Sry-related gene Sox9 is expressed during chondrogenesis in mouse embryos. Nat Genet 9: 15–20. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Wnt-frizzled signaling in neural crest formation. Trends Neurosci 26: 40–45. , , .
- 2001. GDNF is a chemoattractant for enteric neural cells. Dev Biol 229: 503–516. , , , , , .
- 2003. Acquisition of neuronal and glial markers by neural crest-derived cells in the mouse intestine. J Comp Neurol 456: 1–11. , , .