Drs. Chan and Chen contributed equally to this work.
Hoxb3 vagal neural crest-specific enhancer element for controlling enteric nervous system development
Article first published online: 14 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Limb Development
Volume 233, Issue 2, pages 473–483, June 2005
How to Cite
Chan, K. K., Chen, Y. S., Yau, T. O., Fu, M., Lui, V. C. H., Tam, P. K. H. and Sham, M. H. (2005), Hoxb3 vagal neural crest-specific enhancer element for controlling enteric nervous system development. Dev. Dyn., 233: 473–483. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20347
- Issue published online: 12 MAY 2005
- Article first published online: 14 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 13 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Received: 15 JUL 2004
- Research Grants Council of Hong Kong SAR, China. Grant Number: HKU 7184/99M
- 2001. Hirschsprung disease, associated syndromes, and genetics: a review. J Med Genet 38: 729–739. , .
- 1999. Loss of Hoxa5 gene function in mice perturbs intestinal maturation. Am J Physiol 277: C965–C973. , , , .
- 2002. Homeobox genes in gut development. Gut 51: 450–454. .
- 1998. The sacral neural crest contributes neurons and glia to the post-umbilical gut: spatiotemporal analysis of the development of the enteric nervous system. Development 125: 4335–4347. , .
- 2001. Enteric nervous system development: analysis of the selective developmental potentialities of vagal and sacral neural crest cells using quail-chick chimeras. Anat Rec 262: 16–28. , .
- 2000. Sacral neural crest cells colonise aganglionic hindgut in vivo but fail to compensate for lack of enteric ganglia. Dev Biol 219: 30–43. , , .
- 1994. Fetal endoderm primarily holds the temporal and positional information required for mammalian intestinal development. J Cell Biol 126: 211–221. , , , .
- 1997. Changing intestinal connective tissue interactions alters homeobox gene expression in epithelial cells. J Cell Sci 110(Pt 11): 1317–1324. , , , , , .
- 1996. Common origin and developmental dependence on c-ret of subsets of enteric and sympathetic neuroblasts. Development 122: 349–358. , , , , .
- 1994. Cis-acting regulatory sequences governing Wnt-1 expression in the developing mouse CNS. Development 120: 2213–2224. , , .
- 2000. Sacral neural crest cell migration to the gut is dependent upon the migratory environment and not cell-autonomous migratory properties. Dev Biol 219: 79–97. , .
- 2003. HOXB5 expression is spatially and temporarily regulated in human embryonic gut during neural crest cell colonization and differentiation of enteric neuroblasts. Dev Dyn 228: 1–10. , , , , .
- 2001. Intestinal motility disorders and development of the enteric nervous system. Pediatr Res 49: 605–613. .
- 1997. Genes and lineages in the formation of the enteric nervous system. Curr Opin Neurobiol 7: 101–109. .
- 1993. From neural crest to bowel: development of the enteric nervous system. J Neurobiol 24: 199–214. , , .
- 2000. Endoderm development: from patterning to organogenesis. Trends Genet 16: 124–130. , .
- 2000. Lumbo-sacral neural crest contributes to the avian enteric nervous system independently of vagal neural crest. Dev Dyn 218: 525–530. , .
- 1998. Mutation of the Sry-related Sox10 gene in Dominant megacolon, a mouse model for human Hirschsprung disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 5161–5165. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A conserved retinoic acid responsive element in the murine Hoxb-1 gene is required for expression in the developing gut. Development 125: 3235–3246. , , , .
- 2003. Hirschsprung disease is linked to defects in neural crest stem cell function. Science 301: 972–976. , , , , .
- 1999. Early death of neural crest cells is responsible for total enteric aganglionosis in Sox10(Dom)/Sox10(Dom) mouse embryos. Pediatr Dev Pathol 2: 559–569. .
- 2000. Colonization of the murine hindgut by sacral crest-derived neural precursors: experimental support for an evolutionarily conserved model. Dev Biol 227: 146–155. .
- 1992. A transgenic model for studying development of the enteric nervous system in normal and aganglionic mice. Development 116: 167–175. , , .
- 2004. The influence of Hox genes and three intercellular signalling pathways on enteric neuromuscular development. Neurogastroenterol Motil 16(Suppl 1): 8–13. , , , .
- 1996. Abnormal microenvironmental signals underlie intestinal aganglionosis in Dominant megacolon mutant mice. Dev Biol 174: 360–369. , , , , , .
- 2001. Regulatory analysis of the mouse Hoxb3 gene: multiple elements work in concert to direct temporal and spatial patterns of expression. Dev Biol 232: 176–190. , , , .
- 1984. Association of megacolon with a new dominant spotting gene (Dom) in the mouse. J Hered 75: 435–439. , .
- 2003. 3′ Splicing variants of ret receptor tyrosine kinase are differentially expressed in mouse embryos and in adult mice. Biochim Biophys Acta 1627: 26–38. , , , , .
- 2001. CDX-1 and CDX-2 are expressed in human colonic mucosa and are down-regulated in patients with Hirschsprung's disease associated enterocolitis. Biochim Biophys Acta 1537: 89–100. , , , .
- 2001. Development of the submucous plexus in the large intestine of the mouse. Cell Tissue Res 303: 301–305. , , .
- 2002. Requirement of signalling by receptor tyrosine kinase RET for the directed migration of enteric nervous system progenitor cells during mammalian embryogenesis. Development 129: 5151–5160. , , , .
- 2002. Enteric nervous system: development and developmental disturbances—part 1. Pediatr Dev Pathol 5: 224–247. , .
- 2000. Z/EG, a double reporter mouse line that expresses enhanced green fluorescent protein upon Cre-mediated excision. Genesis 28: 147–155. , , , , .
- 2002. Dissecting Hirschsprung disease. Nat Genet 31: 11–12. .
- 1984. Neurofilament expression in vagal neural crest-derived precursors of enteric neurons. Dev Biol 105: 273–287. , , .
- 1999. Coordinated expression of 3′ hox genes during murine embryonal gut development: an enteric Hox code. Gastroenterology 117: 1339–1351. , , , .
- 1995. Sonic hedgehog is an endodermal signal inducing Bmp-4 and Hox genes during induction and regionalization of the chick hindgut. Development 121: 3163–3174. , , , , , .
- 1998. Epithelial-mesenchymal signaling during the regionalization of the chick gut. Development 125: 2791–2801. , , , .
- 1998. Region-specific expression of murine Hox genes implies the Hox code-mediated patterning of the digestive tract. Genes Cells 3: 51–64. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Analysis of the murine Hox-2.7 gene: conserved alternative transcripts with differential distributions in the nervous system and the potential for shared regulatory regions. EMBO J 11: 1825–1836. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Assessment of protein gene product 9.5 as a marker of neural crest-derived precursor cells in the developing enteric nervous system. Pediatr Surg Int 17: 304–307. , , , , , .
- 1999. Generalized lacZ expression with the ROSA26 Cre reporter strain. Nat Genet 21: 70–71. .
- 1998. Sox10 mutation disrupts neural crest development in Dom Hirschsprung mouse model. Nat Genet 18: 60–64. , , .
- 1999. The Sox10(Dom) mouse: modeling the genetic variation of Waardenburg- Shah (WS4) syndrome. Genome Res 9: 215–225. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Structural abnormalities associated with congenital megacolon in transgenic mice that overexpress the Hoxa-4 gene. Dev Dyn 198: 28–53. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Fetal development of the enteric nervous system of transgenic mice that overexpress the Hoxa-4 gene. Dev Dyn 211: 269–291. , , , , .
- 1997. Gene dosage-dependent effects of the Hoxa-13 and Hoxd-13 mutations on morphogenesis of the terminal parts of the digestive and urogenital tracts. Development 124: 4781–4791. , , , , .
- 1992. Whole mount in situ hybridisation of vertebrate embryos. In: WilkinsonDG, editors. In situ hybridisation: a practical approach. Oxford, UK: Oxford IRL Press. p 75–83. .
- 1989. Transgenic mice overexpressing the mouse homeobox-containing gene Hox-1.4 exhibit abnormal gut development. Nature 337: 464–467. , , , , .
- 2002. Auto/cross-regulation of Hoxb3 expression in posterior hindbrain and spinal cord. Dev Biol 252: 287–300. , , , , , .
- 1995. Coordinated expression of Abd-B subfamily genes of the HoxA cluster in the developing digestive tract of chick embryo. Dev Biol 169: 76–89. , , .
- 2001. Enteric neural crest-derived cells: origin, identification, migration, and differentiation. Anat Rec 262: 1–15. , .
- 1998. A single rostrocaudal colonization of the rodent intestine by enteric neuron precursors is revealed by the expression of Phox2b, Ret, and p75 and by explants grown under the kidney capsule or in organ culture. Dev Biol 202: 67–84. , , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of Ret-, p75(NTR)-, Phox2a-, Phox2b-, and tyrosine hydroxylase-immunoreactivity by undifferentiated neural crest-derived cells and different classes of enteric neurons in the embryonic mouse gut. Dev Dyn 216: 137–152. , , , .
- 2000. Embryology and development of the enteric nervous system. Gut 47(Suppl 4): iv12–iv14. , , .
- 2003. Acquisition of neuronal and glial markers by neural crest-derived cells in the mouse intestine. J Comp Neurol 456: 1–11. , , .
- 2004. Dynamics of neural crest-derived cell migration in the embryonic mouse gut. Dev Biol 270: 455–473. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Hox genes and the making of sphincters. Nature 401: 761–762. , .
- 2004. Spatiotemporal regulation of endothelin receptor-B by SOX10 in neural crest-derived enteric neuron precursors. Nat Genet 36: 732–737. , , , , , .