Inhibitors of ubiquitin-dependent proteolysis can delay programmed cell death of adult intersegmental muscles in the moth Manduca sexta
Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Limb Development
Volume 233, Issue 2, pages 445–455, June 2005
How to Cite
Bayline, R. J., Dean, D. M. and Booker, R. (2005), Inhibitors of ubiquitin-dependent proteolysis can delay programmed cell death of adult intersegmental muscles in the moth Manduca sexta. Dev. Dyn., 233: 445–455. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20351
- Issue online: 12 MAY 2005
- Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 3 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Received: 4 AUG 2004
- NIH. Grant Number: 5T3GM07469
- 2002. The DIAP1 RING finger mediates ubiquitination of Dronc and is indispensable for regulating apoptosis. Nat Cell Biol 4: 445–450. , , .
- 1998. Innervation regulates the metamorphic fates of larval abdominal muscles in the moth, Manduca sexta. Dev Genes Evol 208: 369–381. , , .
- 1976. Techniques for rearing laboratory colonies of tobacco hornworms and pink bollworms. Ann Ent Soc Am 69: 365–373. , .
- 1993. Motor neuron disease/amyotrophic lateral sclerosis—lessons from ubiquitin. Pathol Res Pract 189: 902–912. .
- 1994. The ubiquitin-proteasome proteolytic pathway. Cell 79: 13–21. .
- 2000. Ubiquitin mediated proteolysis: biological regulation via destruction. Bioessays 22: 442–451. , , .
- 2000. Proteasome activation as a critical event of thymocyte apoptosis. Cell Death Differ 7: 368–373. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Ubiquitin pathway involvement in human lymphocyte gamma-irradiation apoptosis. Mol Cell Biol 13: 4875–4883. , , .
- 1936. A technique of transplantation for Drosophila. Am Nat 70: 218–225. , .
- 1994. Localization of immunoreactive ubiquitin in the nervous system of the Manduca sexta moth. J Comp Neurol 343: 464–482. , .
- 1956. Normal and induced degeneration of abdominal muscles during metamorphosis in the lepidoptera. Q J Microscop Sci 97: 215–234. .
- 1985. The immunocytochemical detection and quantitation of intracellular ubiquitin-protein conjugates. J Biol Chem 260: 12464–12473. , .
- 1981. Hemin inhibits ATP-dependent ubiquitin-dependent proteolysis: role of hemin in regulating ubiquitin conjugate degradation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 78: 6845–6848. , .
- 1995. Coordinated induction of the ubiquitin conjugation pathway accompanies the developmentally programmed death of insect skeletal muscle. J Biol Chem 270: 9407–9412. , , , .
- 1998. Proteasome activation occurs at an early, premitochondrial step of thymocyte apoptosis. J Immunol 161: 35–40. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Changes in the structure and function of the multicatalytic proteinase (proteasome) during programmed cell death in the intersegmental muscles of the hawkmoth, Manduca sexta. Dev Biol 169: 436–447. , , , , .
- 1971. Programmed cell death: nature of the nervous signal controlling breakdown of intersegmental muscles. J Insect Physiol 17: 149–158. .
- 1965a. Programmed cell death. I. Cytology of degeneration in the intersegmental muscles of the pernyi silkmoth. J Insect Physiol 11: 123–133. , .
- 1965b. Programmed cell death. III. Neural control of the breakdown of the intersegmental muscles of silkmoths. J Insect Physiol 11: 601–610. , .
- 1965c. Programmed cell death. IV. The influence of drugs on the breakdown of the intersegmental muscles of silkmoths. J Insect Physiol 11: 803–809. , .
- 1991. Ubiquitin deposits are present in spinal motor neurons in all stages of the disease in the motor neuron degeneration (Mnd) mutant of the mouse. Neurosci Lett 128: 182–186. .
- 1987. Ubiquitin is a component of the paired helical filaments in Alzheimer's disease. Science 235: 1641–1644. , , .
- 1995. Ubiquitin in homeostasis, development and disease. Bioessays 17: 677–684. . .
- 2002. The role and function of the 26S proteasome in proliferation and apoptosis. Lab Invest 82: 965–980. , .
- 1988. Quantitation and immunocytochemical localization of ubiquitin conjugates within rat red and white skeletal muscles. J Histochem Cytochem 36: 621–632. , , , .
- 1994. Inhibitors of the proteasome block the degradation of most cell proteins and the generation of peptides presented on MHC class I molecules. Cell 78: 761–771. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor, New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , , .
- 1992. Insect muscle as a model for programmed cell death. J Neurobiol 23: 1312–1326. .
- 2002. Changes in contractile properties of skeletal muscle during developmentally programmed atrophy and death. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 282: C1270–C1277. , .
- 1983. Hormonal control of rates of metamorphic development in the tobacco hornworm Manduca sexta. Dev Biol 99: 103–114. , .
- 1990. Activation of polyubiquitin gene expression during developmentally programmed cell death. Neuron 5: 411–419. , , , , .
- 1993. Selective repression of actin and myosin heavy chain expression during the programmed death of insect skeletal muscle. Dev Biol 158: 448–455. , , , .
- 1998. Inhibition of etoposide-induced apoptosis with peptide aldehyde inhibitors of proteasome. Biochem J 332: 661–665. , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Programmed cell death in the nervous system of an adult insect. J Comp Neurol 216: 445–452. .
- 1988. Hemin inhibits ubiquitin-dependent proteolysis in both a higher plant and yeast. Biochemistry 27: 3290–3295. , .
- 2002. Drosophila morgue is an Fbox/ubiquitin conjugase domain protein important for grim-reaper mediated apoptosis. Nat Cell Biol 4: 451–456. , , , , , , , , , .