Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression of SRY proteins in both normal and sex-reversed XY fetal mouse gonads
Version of Record online: 23 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Limb Development
Volume 233, Issue 2, pages 612–622, June 2005
How to Cite
Taketo, T., Lee, C.-H., Zhang, J., Li, Y., Lee, C.-Y. G. and Lau, Y.-F. C. (2005), Expression of SRY proteins in both normal and sex-reversed XY fetal mouse gonads. Dev. Dyn., 233: 612–622. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20352
- Issue online: 12 MAY 2005
- Version of Record online: 23 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 20 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Received: 6 AUG 2004
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: 1 RO1 HD38117
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Grant Number: MOP-14801
- 2001. Evidence that Sry is expressed in pre-Sertoli cells and Sertoli and granulosa cells have a common precursor. Dev Biol 240: 92–107. , .
- 2003. Sry expression level and protein isoform differences play a role in abnormal testis development in C57BL/6J mice carrying certain Sry alleles. Genetics 164: 277–288. , , , .
- 1998. Live-borns from XX but not XY oocytes in the chimeric mouse ovary composed of B6.YTIR and XX cells. Biol Reprod 58: 574–582. , .
- 2000. Related function of mouse SOX3, SOX9, and SRY HMG domains assayed by male sex determination. Genesis 28: 111–124. , , , .
- 1990. Genetic evidence equating SRY and the testis-determining factor. Nature 348: 448–450. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Assays of testis development in the mouse distinguish three classes of domesticus-type Y chromosome. Genome 30: 870–878. , .
- 2001. Spatially dynamic expression of Sry in mouse genital ridges. Dev Dyn 221: 201–205. , .
- 1993. Circular transcripts of the testis-determining gene Sry in adult mouse testis. Cell 73: 1019–1030. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Absence of correlation between Sry polymorphisms and XY sex reversal caused by the M. m. domesticus Y chromosome. Genomics 33: 32–45. , , , .
- 2004. Functional analysis of Sox8 and Sox9 during sex determination in the mouse. Development 131: 1891–1901. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Polymorphism of a CAG trinucleotide repeat within Sry correlates with B6.YDOM sex reversal. Nat Genet 6: 245–250. , , , , , .
- 1995. Functional comparison of the Mus musculus molessinus and Mus musculus domesticus Sry genes. Mol Endocrinol 9: 1645–1654. , , , .
- 1982. Mus poshiavinus Y chromosome in the C57BL/6J murine genome causes sex reversal. Science 217: 535–537. , , , .
- 1995. Sex reversal in C57BL/6J-YPOS mice corrected by a Sry transgene. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B 350: 263–269. , , .
- 1996. Sex-determining genes on mouse autosomes identified by linkage analysis of C57BL/6J-YPOS sex reversal. Nat Genet 14: 206–209. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. SRY, like HMG1, recognizes sharp angles in DNA. EMBO J 11: 4497–4506. , , , , , .
- 1994. Distinct DNA-binding properties of the high mobility group domain of murine and human SRY sex-determining factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 3368–3372. , , .
- 1990. A gene mapping to the sex-determining region of the mouse Y chromosome is a member of a novel family of embryonically expressed genes. Nature 346: 245–250. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of Sry, the mouse sex determining gene. Development 121: 1603–1614. , , , .
- 1995. Expression of a linear Sry transcript in the mouse genital ridge. Nat Genet 10: 480–482. , , , .
- 1973. Studies on sex differentiation in mammals. Recent Prog Horm Res 29: 1–35. , , , .
- 1991. Male development of chromosomally female mice transgenic for Sry. Nature 351: 117–121. , , , , .
- 1990. Expression of a candidate sex-determining gene during mouse testis differentiation. Nature 348: 450–452. , , , , .
- 1989. Generation of monoclonal antibodies to prostatic acid phosphatase isoenzyme 2 and application in solid-phase enzyme immunoassay. Biotech Applied Biochem 11: 89–95. , , , , .
- 1998. SRY interactive proteins: implication for the mechanisms of sex determination. Cytogenet Cell Genet 80: 128–132. , .
- 1994. Normal onset, but prolonged expression, of Sry gene in the B6.YDOM sex-reversed mouse gonad. Dev Biol 165: 442–452. , .
- 2001. Low levels of Sry transcripts cannot be the sole cause of B6.YTIR sex reversal. Genesis 30: 7–11. , .
- 1991. Centrosome and microtubule dynamics during meiotic progression in the mouse oocyte. J Cell Sci 100: 289–298. , .
- 1996. Sox9 expression during gonadal development implies a conserved role for the gene in testis differentiation in mammals and birds. Nat Genet 14: 62–68. , , , , , .
- 2004. Disturbed expression of Sox9 in pre-Sertoli cells underlies sex-reversal in mice B6.Ytir-1. Biol Reprod 70: 114–122. , , , , .
- 1987. Studies on the genetics of tda-1 XY sex reversal in the mouse. Differentiation 33: 223–231. , , .
- 1999. Sex reversal caused by Mus musculus domesticus y chromosomes linked to variant expression of the testis-determining gene Sry. Dev Biol 216: 182–194. , , , .
- 1991. DNA-binding properties of the product of the testis-determining gene and a related protein. Nature 354: 317–320. , , , , , .
- 2005. SRY associates with the heterochromain protein 1 complex by interacting with a KRAB domain protein. Biol Reprod 72: 407–415. , , .
- 2002. A direct role of SRY and SOX proteins in pre-mRNA splicing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 1146–1151. , , .
- 1991. In situ analysis of fetal, prepubertal and adult XX-XY chimaeric mouse testes: Sertoli cells are predominantly, but not exclusively, XY. Development 112: 265–268. , .
- 1994. Sex-reversing mutations affect the architecture of SRY-DNA complexes. EMBO J 13: 6115–6124. , , , , , .
- 1995. Nuclear localization of the testis determining gene product SRY. J Cell Biol 28: 737–748. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The human testis determining factor SRY binds a nuclear factor containing PDZ protein interaction domains. J Biol Chem 272: 7167–7172. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Direct evidence that the mouse sex-determining gene Sry is expressed in the somatic cells of male fetal gonads and in the germ cell line in the adult testis. Mol Reprod Dev 34: 369–373. , , , , .
- 2001. Expression of the human SRY protein during development in normal male gonadal and sex-reversed tissues. J Exp Zool 290: 607–615. , , , , .
- 2004. SOX9 is up-regulated by the transient expression of SRY specifically in Sertoli cell precursors. Dev Biol 274: 271–279. , , , , .
- 1990. A gene from the human sex-determining region encodes a protein with homology to a conserved DNA-binding motif. Nature 346: 240–244. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Delay of testicular differentiation in the B6.YDOM ovotestis demonstrated by immunocytochemical staining for Müllerian inhibiting substance. Dev Biol 146: 386–395. , , , .
- 2001. SRY and architectural gene regulation: the kinetic stability of a bent protein-DNA complex can regulate its transcriptional potency. Mol Endocrinol 15: 363–377. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Sox9 induces testis development in XX transgenic mice. Nat Genet 28: 216–217. , , , .