Patterns & Phenotypes
Cloning and developmental expression of Xenopus Enabled (Xena)
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Limb Development
Volume 233, Issue 2, pages 631–637, June 2005
How to Cite
Xanthos, J. B., Wanner, S. J. and Miller, J. R. (2005), Cloning and developmental expression of Xenopus Enabled (Xena). Dev. Dyn., 233: 631–637. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20358
- Issue published online: 12 MAY 2005
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 16 DEC 2004
- March of Dimes. Grant Number: 6-FY04-66
- 1998. Mutations in Drosophila enabled and rescue by human vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein (VASP) indicate important functional roles for Ena/VASP homology domain 1 (EVH1) and EVH2 domains. Mol Biol Cell 9: 2157–2171. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein (VASP) is involved in cGMP- and cAMP-mediated inhibition of agonist-induced platelet aggregation, but is dispensable for smooth muscle function. EMBO J 18: 37–48. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The EVH2 domain of the vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein mediates tetramerization, F-actin binding, and actin bundle formation. J Biol Chem 274: 23549–23557. , , , .
- 2000. Dual epitope recognition by the VASP EVH1 domain modulates polyproline ligand specificity and binding affinity. EMBO J 19: 4903–4914. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Spatial control of the actin cytoskeleton in Drosophila epithelial cells. Nat Cell Biol 3: 883–890. , .
- 2000. Negative regulation of fibroblast motility by Ena/VASP proteins. Cell 101: 717–728. , , , , , .
- 2002. Antagonism between Ena/VASP proteins and actin filament capping regulates fibroblast motility. Cell 109: 509–521. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Aromatic and basic residues within the EVH1 domain of VASP specify its interaction with proline-rich ligands. Curr Biol 9: 715–718. , , , , , .
- 1995. A focal adhesion factor directly linking intracellularly motile Listeria monocytogenes and Listeria ivanovii to the actin-based cytoskeleton of mammalian cells. EMBO J 14: 1314–1321. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. The WW domain of neural protein FE65 interacts with proline-rich motifs in Mena, the mammalian homolog of Drosophila enabled. J Biol Chem 272: 32869–32877. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Structure of EVH1, a novel proline-rich ligand-binding module involved in cytoskeletal dynamics and neural function. Nat Struct Biol 6: 661–665. , , , .
- 2002. Contribution of Ena/VASP proteins to intracellular motility of listeria requires phosphorylation and proline-rich core but not F-actin binding or multimerization. Mol Biol Cell 13: 2383–2396. , , , , , .
- 1995. enabled, a dosage-sensitive suppressor of mutations in the Drosophila Abl tyrosine kinase, encodes an Abl substrate with SH3 domain-binding properties. Genes Dev 9: 521–533. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Mena, a relative of VASP and Drosophila Enabled, is implicated in the control of microfilament dynamics. Cell 87: 227–239. , , , , .
- 2001. Abelson kinase regulates epithelial morphogenesis in Drosophila. J Cell Biol 155: 1185–1198. , , , .
- 2000. Phosphorylation of the vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein regulates its interaction with actin. J Biol Chem 275: 30817–30825. , , , , .
- 1991. In situ hybridization: an improved method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol 36: 685–695. .
- 1999. Megakaryocyte hyperplasia and enhanced agonist-induced platelet activation in vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein knockout mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 8120–8125. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein phosphorylation and interaction with Abl by protein kinase A and cell adhesion. J Biol Chem 277: 38121–38126. , , .
- 2003. Ena/VASP proteins: regulators of the actin cytoskeleton and cell migration. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 19: 541–564. , , , , .
- 2004. Lamellipodin, an Ena/VASP ligand, is implicated in the regulation of lamellipodial dynamics. Dev Cell 7: 571–583. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The VASP tetramerization domain is a right-handed coiled coil based on a 15-residue repeat. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 17027–17032. , , , , , , .
- 2004. RIAM, an Ena/VASP and profilin ligand, interacts with Rap1-GTP and mediates Rap1-induced adhesion. Dev Cell 7: 585–595. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. cAMP-dependent protein kinase phosphorylation of EVL, a Mena/VASP relative, regulates its interaction with actin and SH3 domains. J Biol Chem 275: 36143–36151. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Mena is required for neurulation and commissure formation. Neuron 22: 313–325. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Role of proteins of the Ena/VASP family in actin-based motility of Listeria monocytogenes. J Cell Biol 144: 1245–1258. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Critical role of Ena/VASP proteins for filopodia formation in neurons and in function downstream of netrin-1. Neuron 42: 37–49. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A predominant role for cAMP-dependent protein kinase in the cGMP-induced phosphorylation of vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein and platelet inhibition in humans. Blood 101: 4423–4429. , , , .
- 2002. Critical roles of phosphorylation and actin binding motifs, but not the central proline-rich region, for Ena/vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein (VASP) function during cell migration. Mol Biol Cell 13: 2533–2546. , , , , , .
- 2004. Mena and vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein are required for multiple actin-dependent processes that shape the vertebrate nervous system. J Neurosci 24: 8029–8038. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. A novel proline-rich motif present in ActA of Listeria monocytogenes and cytoskeletal proteins is the ligand for the EVH1 domain, a protein module present in the Ena/VASP family. EMBO J 16: 5433–5444. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Structure of the enabled/VASP homology 1 domain-peptide complex: a key component in the spatial control of actin assembly. Cell 97: 471–480. , , .
- 1992. The 46/50 kDa phosphoprotein VASP purified from human platelets is a novel protein associated with actin filaments and focal contacts. EMBO J 11: 2063–2070. , , , , , .
- 1995a. The proline-rich focal adhesion and microfilament protein VASP is a ligand for profilins. EMBO J 14: 1583–1589. , , , , , , , .
- 1995b. Identification, purification, and characterization of a zyxin-related protein that binds the focal adhesion and microfilament protein VASP (vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 7956–7960. , , , .
- 1996. VASP interaction with vinculin: a recurring theme of interactions with proline-rich motifs. FEBS Lett 399: 103–107. , , , .
- 2003. Abl interactor 1 promotes tyrosine 296 phosphorylation of mammalian enabled (Mena) by c-Abl kinase. J Biol Chem 278: 21685–21692. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Directed actin polymerization is the driving force for epithelial cell-cell adhesion. Cell 100: 209–219. , , , .
- 2002. The vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein promotes actin polymerisation through direct binding to monomeric actin. FEBS Lett 529: 275–280. , , , , .
- 2003. Changes of vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein (VASP) and its phosphorylation in endothelial cells exposed to laminar flow. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 28: 113–120. , , , , .
- 2002. Relaxation, equilibrium oligomerization, and molecular symmetry of the VASP (336-380) EVH2 tetramer. Biochemistry 41: 11143–11151. , , , , , .