What's Cool in Dev Bio
Planar cell polarity: Heading in the right direction
Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Limb Development
Volume 233, Issue 2, pages 695–700, June 2005
How to Cite
Kiefer, J. C. (2005), Planar cell polarity: Heading in the right direction. Dev. Dyn., 233: 695–700. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20359
- Issue online: 12 MAY 2005
- Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 12 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JAN 2005
- 1997. Tissue polarity points from cells that have higher Frizzled levels towards cells that have lower Frizzled levels. Curr Biol 7: 940–949. , , .
- 1998. Mutations in the cadherin superfamily member gene dachsous cause a tissue polarity phenotype by altering frizzled signaling. Development 125: 959–968. , , .
- 2000. The domineering non-autonomy of frizzled and van Gogh clones in the Drosophila wing is a consequence of a disruption in local signaling. Mech Dev 96: 197–207. , , .
- 1999. Fjx1, the murine homologue of the Drosophila four-jointed gene, codes for a putative secreted protein expressed in restricted domains of the developing and adult brain. Mech Dev 80: 213–217. , , , , .
- 2001. Unipolar membrane association of Dishevelled mediates Frizzled planar cell polarity signaling. Genes Dev 15: 1182–1187. .
- 2003. Strabismus is asymmetrically localised and binds to Prickle and Dishevelled during Drosophila planar polarity patterning. Development 130: 3007–3014. , , .
- 2004. Myosin-dependent junction remodelling controls planar cell intercalation and axis elongation. Nature 429: 667–671. , , .
- 2003. Prickle 1 regulates cell movements during gastrulation and neuronal migration in zebrafish. Development 130: 4037–4046. , , , , , .
- 1999. The Drosophila tissue polarity gene starry night encodes a member of the protocadherin family. Development 126: 5421–5429. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Rotation of photoreceptor clusters in the developing Drosophila eye requires the nemo gene. Cell 78: 125–136. , .
- 1999. Frizzled regulation of Notch signalling polarizes cell fate in the Drosophila eye. Nature 397: 526–530. , .
- 2003. Mutation of Celsr1 disrupts planar polarity of inner ear hair cells and causes severe neural tube defects in the mouse. Curr Biol 13: 1129–1133. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Wnt signaling mediates reorientation of outer hair cell stereociliary bundles in the mammalian cochlea. Development 130: 2375–2384. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Molecular cloning and tissue expression of FAT, the human homologue of the Drosophila fat gene that is located on chromosome 4q34-q35 and encodes a putative adhesion molecule. Genomics 30: 207–223. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Asymmetric Notch activation specifies photoreceptors R3 and R4 and planar polarity in the Drosophila eye. Nature 397: 523–526. , .
- 2000. Nuclear signaling by Rac and Rho GTPases is required in the establishment of epithelial planar polarity in the Drosophila eye. Curr Biol 10: 979–988. , , , .
- 2003. The tumor-suppressor and cell adhesion molecule Fat controls planar polarity via physical interactions with Atrophin, a transcriptional co-repressor. Development 130: 763–774. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The ankyrin repeat protein Diego mediates Frizzled-dependent planar polarization. Dev Cell 1: 93–101. , , , .
- 2003. Egfr signaling regulates ommatidial rotation and cell motility in the Drosophila eye via MAPK/Pnt signaling and the Ras effector Canoe/AF6. Development 130: 5413–5423. , .
- 1998. Frizzled signalling controls orientation of asymmetric sense organ precursor cell divisions in Drosophila. Nature 393: 178–181. , .
- 2004. Planar cell polarity signalling controls cell division orientation during zebrafish gastrulation. Nature 430: 689–693. , , .
- 1982. A genetic analysis of the determination of cuticular polarity during development in Drosophila melanogaster. J Embryol Exp Morphol 68: 37–57. , .
- 1999. The balance between isoforms of the prickle LIM domain protein is critical for planar polarity in Drosophila imaginal discs. Genes Dev 13: 2315–2327. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Wnt/Frizzled activation of Rho regulates vertebrate gastrulation and requires a novel Formin homology protein Daam1. Cell 107: 843–854. , , .
- 2003. Coactivation of Rac and Rho by Wnt/Frizzled signaling is required for vertebrate gastrulation. Genes Dev 17: 295–309. , , .
- 2000. Silberblick/Wnt11 mediates convergent extension movements during zebrafish gastrulation. Nature 405: 76–81. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Planar polarity and actin dynamics in the epidermis of Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol 4: 937–944. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Towards a model of the organisation of planar polarity and pattern in the Drosophila abdomen. Development 129: 2749–2760. , , .
- 2004. Cell interactions and planar polarity in the abdominal epidermis of Drosophila. Development 131: 4651–4664. , , .
- 2002. slam encodes a developmental regulator of polarized membrane growth during cleavage of the Drosophila embryo. Dev Cell 2: 425–436. , , .
- 2003. Fidelity in planar cell polarity signalling. Nature 421: 543–547. , , , , .
- 2002. Zebrafish Rho kinase 2 acts downstream of Wnt11 to mediate cell polarity and effective convergence and extension movements. Curr Biol 12: 876–884. , , , .
- 2004. Interactions between Fat and Dachsous and the regulation of planar cell polarity in the Drosophila wing. Development 131: 3785–3794. , .
- 2005. Noncanonical Wnt signaling regulates midline convergence of organ primordia during zebrafish development. Genes Dev 19: 164–175. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Multiple cadherins are expressed in human fibroblasts. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 235: 355–358. , .
- 1993. Xwnt-5A: a maternal Wnt that affects morphogenetic movements after overexpression in embryos of Xenopus laevis. Development 119: 97–111. , , , , , .
- 2002. The planar cell-polarity gene stbm regulates cell behaviour and cell fate in vertebrate embryos. Nat Cell Biol 4: 20–25. , .
- 1994. The frizzled gene of Drosophila encodes a membrane protein with an odd number of transmembrane domains. Mech Dev 45: 127–137. , , .
- 2002. The cadherins fat and dachsous regulate dorsal/ventral signaling in the Drosophila eye. Curr Biol 12: 1021–1026. , , .
- 2001. Asymmetric colocalization of Flamingo, a seven-pass transmembrane cadherin, and Dishevelled in planar cell polarization. Curr Biol 11: 859–863. , , , , .
- 2004. Planar cell polarity in the Drosophila eye is directed by graded Four-jointed and Dachsous expression. Development 131: 6175–6184. .
- 2000. Wingless gradient formation in the Drosophila wing. Curr Biol 10: 293–300. , .
- 2001. Asymmetric localization of frizzled and the establishment of cell polarity in the Drosophila wing. Mol Cell 7: 367–375. .
- 2002. Nonautonomous planar polarity patterning in Drosophila: dishevelled-independent functions of frizzled. Dev Cell 3: 851–863. , .
- 1997. The role of RhoA in tissue polarity and Frizzled signalling. Nature 387: 292–295. , , .
- 2002. Asymmetric localization of frizzled and the determination of notch-dependent cell fate in the Drosophila eye. Curr Biol 12: 813–824. , , , .
- 2004. Cleavage and secretion is not required for Four-jointed function in Drosophila patterning. Development 131: 881–890. , , , .
- 2000. The putative wnt receptor Xenopus frizzled-7 functions upstream of beta-catenin in vertebrate dorsoventral mesoderm patterning. Development 127: 1981–1990. , , , .
- 2000. Xwnt11 is a target of Xenopus Brachyury: regulation of gastrulation movements via Dishevelled, but not through the canonical Wnt pathway. Development 127: 2227–2238. , .
- 2003. Distinct functions of Rho and Rac are required for convergent extension during Xenopus gastrulation. Dev Biol 259: 318–335. , .
- 2003. The prickle-related gene in vertebrates is essential for gastrulation cell movements. Curr Biol 13: 674–679. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Van Gogh: a new Drosophila tissue polarity gene. Genetics 150: 199–210. , , , .
- 1999. Decoding vectorial information from a gradient: sequential roles of the receptors Frizzled and Notch in establishing planar polarity in the Drosophila eye. Development 126: 5725–5738. , .
- 2002a. A three-tiered mechanism for regulation of planar cell polarity. Semin Cell Dev Biol 13: 217–224. , , .
- 2002b. Prickle mediates feedback amplification to generate asymmetric planar cell polarity signaling. Cell 109: 371–381. , , , , , .
- 1999. Flamingo, a seven-pass transmembrane cadherin, regulates planar cell polarity under the control of Frizzled. Cell 98: 585–595. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Zebrafish prickle, a modulator of noncanonical Wnt/Fz signaling, regulates gastrulation movements. Curr Biol 13: 680–685. , , , , .
- 1989. A Drosophila tissue polarity locus encodes a protein containing seven potential transmembrane domains. Nature 338: 263–264. , , .
- 2002. Neural tube closure requires Dishevelled-dependent convergent extension of the midline. Development 129: 5815–5825. , .
- 2000. Dishevelled controls cell polarity during Xenopus gastrulation. Nature 405: 81–85. , , , , , .
- 2001. Drosophila Rho-associated kinase (Drok) links Frizzled-mediated planar cell polarity signaling to the actin cytoskeleton. Cell 105: 81–91. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Strabismus, a novel gene that regulates tissue polarity and cell fate decisions in Drosophila. Development 125: 1149–1159. , .
- 1993. Tissue polarity genes of Drosophila regulate the subcellular location for prehair initiation in pupal wing cells. J Cell Biol 123: 209–221. , .
- 2004. Subcellular localization of frizzled receptors, mediated by their cytoplasmic tails, regulates signaling pathway specificity. PLoS Biol 2: E158. , , .
- 2002. Regulation of Frizzled by fat-like cadherins during planar polarity signaling in the Drosophila compound eye. Cell 108: 675–688. , , .
- 1999a. The four-jointed gene is required in the Drosophila eye for ommatidial polarity specification. Curr Biol 9: 1363–1372. , , .
- 1999b. Polarity determination in the Drosophila eye: a novel role for unpaired and JAK/STAT signaling. Genes Dev 13: 1342–1353. , , .
- 2000. Multiple roles for four-jointed in planar polarity and limb patterning. Dev Biol 228: 181–196. , , .