Special Focus Research Article
Region-specific expression of mario reveals pivotal function of the anterior nondigit region on digit formation in chick wing bud
Version of Record online: 13 APR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Limb Development
Volume 233, Issue 2, pages 326–336, June 2005
How to Cite
Amano, T. and Tamura, K. (2005), Region-specific expression of mario reveals pivotal function of the anterior nondigit region on digit formation in chick wing bud. Dev. Dyn., 233: 326–336. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20390
- Issue online: 12 MAY 2005
- Version of Record online: 13 APR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 18 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 29 OCT 2004
- Ministry of Education, Science, Sports, and Culture, of Japan
- 1988. A gradient of responsiveness to the growth-promoting activity of ZPA (zone of polarizing activity) in the chick limb bud. Dev Biol 128: 136–141. , .
- 2002. Mouse GLI3 regulates Fgf8 expression and apoptosis in the developing neural tube, face and limb bud. Dev Biol 251: 320–332. , , , .
- 2004. Levels of Gli3 repressor correlate with Bmp4 expression and apoptosis during limb development. Dev Dyn 231: 148–160. , , , , , .
- 1989. The fate map of the chick forelimb-bud and its bearing on hypothesized developmental control mechanisms. Anat Embryol (Berl) 179: 269–283. , , , .
- 1994. Products, genetic linkage and limb patterning activity of a murine hedgehog gene. Development 120: 3339–3353. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Talpid2 mutant chick limb has anteroposterior polarity and altered patterns of programmed cell death. Anat Rec 231: 251–260. , .
- 1994. Bone morphogenetic proteins and a signalling pathway that controls patterning in the developing chick limb. Development 120: 209–218. , , , .
- 1995. Expression of genes encoding bone morphogenetic proteins and sonic hedgehog in Talpid (ta3) limb buds: their relationships in the signaling cascade involved in limb patterning. Dev Dyn 203: 187–197. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Role of TGF beta s and BMPs as signals controlling the position of the digits and the areas of interdigital cell death in the developing chick limb autopod. Development 122: 2349–2357. , , , , .
- 2001. The whereabouts of a morphogen: direct evidence for short-and graded long-range activity of hedgehog signaling peptides. Dev Biol 236: 364–386. , , , .
- 2002. In vivo evidence that BMP signalling is necessary for apoptosis in the mouse limb. Dev Biol 249: 108–120. , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2004. Evidence for an expansion-based temporal Shh gradient in specifying vertebrate digit identities. Cell 118: 517–528. , , , , , .
- 1996. BMP signalling during bone pattern determination in the developing limb. Development 122: 3557–3566. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Sonic hedgehog and Fgf-4 act through a signaling cascade and feedback loop to integrate growth and patterning of the developing limb bud. Cell 79: 993–1003. , , , , .
- 1975. Fatemaps and the pattern of cell division. J Embryol Exp Morphol 33: 419–434. .
- 2001. Cholesterol modification of sonic hedgehog is required for long-range signaling activity and effective modulation of signaling by Ptc1. Cell 105: 599–612. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Shh and Gli3 are dispensable for limb skeleton formation but regulate digit number and identity. Nature 418: 979–983. , , , , .
- 1995. Limb-patterning activity and restricted posterior localization of the amino-terminal product of Sonic hedgehog cleavage. Curr Biol 5: 791–796. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Role of BMP-2 and OP-1 (BMP-7) in programmed cell death and skeletogenesis during chick limb development. Development 124: 1109–1117. , , , , , .
- 1998. Morphogenesis of digits in the avian limb is controlled by FGFs, TGFbetas and noggin through BMP signalling. Dev Biol 200: 35–45. , , , , , .
- 2001. Role of FGFs in the control of programmed cell death during limb development. Development 128: 2075–2084. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Analysis of Hox gene expression in the chick limb bud. Development 122: 1449–1466. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. FGF-4 and BMP-2 have opposite effects on limb growth. Nature 361: 68–71. , .
- 1994. A positive feedback loop coordinates growth and patterning in the vertebrate limb. Nature 371: 609–612. , , , .
- 1996. Effects of digit tissue on cell death and ectopic cartilage formation in the interdigital zone in chick leg buds. Dev Growth Differ 38: 419–428. , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75: 1401–1416. , , , .
- 1993. Retroviral expression of FGF-2 (bFGF) affects patterning in chick limb bud. Development 118: 95–104. , , , , .
- 1948. The proximo-distal sequence of origin of the parts of the chick wing and the role of the ectoderm. J Exp Zool 108: 363–403. .
- 1962. Cellular death in morphogenesis of the avian wing. Dev Biol 5: 147–178. , .
- 1968. Ectodermal-mesenchymal interaction in the origin of limb symmetry. In: FleischmajerR, BillinghamRE, editors. Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins. p 78–97. , .
- 1973. A description of chick wing bud development and a model of limb morphogenesis. Dev Biol 33: 138–153. , .
- 1974. A quantitative analysis of the effect of excision of the AER from the chick limb-bud. J Embryol Exp Morphol 32: 651–660. .
- 1976. A descriptive study of the rate of elongation and differentiation of the skeleton of the developing chick wing. J Embryol Exp Morphol 35: 241–260. .
- 1979. The zone of polarizing activity: evidence for a role in normal chick limb morphogenesis. J Embryol Exp Morphol 50: 217–233. .
- 2000. Conditional inactivation of Fgf4 reveals complexity of signalling during limb bud development. Nat Genet 25: 83–86. , , , , , .
- 1990. Synthetic retinoids, retinobenzoic acids, Am80, Am580 and Ch55 regulate morphogenesis in chick limb bud. Cell Differ Dev 32: 17–26. , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of rigf, a member of avian VEGF family, correlates with vascular patterning in the developing chick limb bud. Mech Dev 120: 199–209. , , , , , .
- 2002. Progression of vertebrate limb development through SHH-mediated counteraction of GLI3. Science 298: 827–830. , , , , , , .
- 1981. The number of polarizing region cells required to specify additional digits in the developing chick wing. Nature 289: 295–298. .
- 1975. Positional signaling and specification of digits in chick limb morphogenesis. Nature 254: 199–202. , , .
- 2005. Birds have dinosaur wings: the molecular evidence. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol 304: 86–90. , .
- 1997. Cell fate in the chick limb bud and relationship to gene expression. Development 124: 1909–1918. , , , , , .
- 2001. Characterisation of Hoxa gene expression in the chick limb bud in response to FGF. Dev Dyn 220: 87–90. , , , , .
- 2001. Differential response of Shh expression between chick forelimb and hindlimb buds by FGF-4. Dev Dyn 221: 402–411. , .
- 1999. 1,2,3 = 2,3,4: a solution to the problem of the homology of the digits in the avian hand. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 5111–5116. , .
- 1987. The effect of the zone of polarizing activity (ZPA) on the anterior half of the chick wing bud. Development 99: 99–108. , .
- 1969. Positional information and the spatial pattern of cellular differentiation. J Theor Biol 25: 1–47. .
- 1997. Relationship between dose, distance and time in Sonic Hedgehog-mediated regulation of anteroposterior polarity in the chick limb. Development 124: 4393–4404. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Homeobox gene expression correlated with the bifurcation process of limb cartilage development. Nature 353: 443–445. , , .
- 1996. BMP-2/-4 mediate programmed cell death in chicken limb buds. Development 122: 3725–3734. , , , , , , .
- 2001. A freely diffusible form of Sonic hedgehog mediates long-range signaling. Nature 411: 716–720. , , , , , .
- 1996. Requirement for BMP signalling in interdigital apoptosis and scale formation. Science 272: 738–741. , .