Special Focus Research Article
Splanchnic (visceral) mesoderm has limb-forming ability according to the position along the rostrocaudal axis in chick embryos
Article first published online: 20 APR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Limb Development
Volume 233, Issue 2, pages 256–265, June 2005
How to Cite
Yonei-Tamura, S., Ide, H. and Tamura, K. (2005), Splanchnic (visceral) mesoderm has limb-forming ability according to the position along the rostrocaudal axis in chick embryos. Dev. Dyn., 233: 256–265. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20391
- Issue published online: 12 MAY 2005
- Article first published online: 20 APR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 27 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 6 DEC 2004
- Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture of Japan. Grant Numbers: 15687008, 14034204, 15039202
- Nakajima Foundation
- Takeda Science Foundation
- 2003. Tbx5 is essential for forelimb bud initiation following patterning of the limb field in the mouse embryo. Development 130: 623–633. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. T-box gene tbx5 is essential for formation of the pectoral limb bud. Nature 417: 754–758. , , , , .
- 1995. Hox genes and the evolution of vertebrate axial morphology. Development 121: 333–346. , , , .
- 1996. Expression of the T-box family genes, Tbx1-Tbx5, during early mouse development. Dev Dyn 206: 379–390. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Ectopic expression of Hoxb-8 causes duplication of the ZPA in the forelimb and homeotic transformation of axial structures. Cell 78: 589–601. , , , .
- 2000. The bHLH transcription factor dHAND controls Sonic hedgehog expression and establishment of the zone of polarizing activity during limb development. Development 127: 2461–2470. , , .
- 1995. Fibroblast growth factors induce additional limb development from the flank of chick embryos. Cell 80: 739–746. , , , , .
- 1997. Hox9 genes and vertebrate limb specification. Nature 387: 97–101. , , , , , .
- 1996. Roles for FGF8 in the induction, initiation, and maintenance of chick limb development. Cell 84: 127–136. , , , .
- 2000. Role of dHAND in the anterior-posterior polarization of the limb bud: implications for the Sonic hedgehog pathway. Development 127: 2133–2142. , , , , , .
- 1999. Coelom formation: binary decision of the lateral plate mesoderm is controlled by the ectoderm. Development 126: 4129–4138. , , , , .
- 1999. Evidence that Hoxa expression domains are evolutionarily transposed in spinal ganglia, and are established by forward spreading in paraxial mesoderm. Mech Dev 82: 109–118. , , , .
- 1996. Evidence of a role for T-box genes in the evolution of limb morphogenesis and the specification of forelimb/hindlimb identity. Mech Dev 56: 93–101. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Involvement of T-box genes Tbx2-Tbx5 in vertebrate limb specification and development. Development 125: 2499–2509. , , , , .
- 1938. Morphogenetic and axial self-differentiation of transplanted limb primordia of 2-day chick embryos. J Exp Zool 77: 379–400. .
- 1951. A series of normal stage in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1991. The spatial and temporal distribution of polarizing activity in the flank of the pre-limb-bud stages in the chick embryo. Development 111: 725–731. , .
- 1994. Sorting out of cells from different parts and stages of the chick limb bud. Dev Biol 162: 71–76. , , .
- 1998. Tbx genes and limb identity in chick embryo development. Development 125: 1867–1875. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. FGF and genes encoding transcription factors in early limb specification. Mech Dev 93: 41–48. , , , , , , .
- 2001. WNT signals control FGF-dependent limb initiation and AER induction in the chick embryo. Cell 104: 891–900. , , , , , .
- 1998. Differential regulation of T-box and homeobox transcription factors suggests roles in controlling chick limb-type identity. Development 125: 2825–2835. , , .
- 1996. Analysis of Hox gene expression in the chick limb bud. Development 122: 1449–1466. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The limb identity gene Tbx5 promotes limb initiation by interacting with Wnt2b and Fgf10. Development 129: 5161–5170. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The mesenchymal factor, FGF10, initiates and maintains the outgrowth of the chick limb bud through interaction with FGF8, an apical ectodermal factor. Development 124: 2235–2244. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Correlation of wing-leg identity in ectopic FGF-induced chimeric limbs with the differential expression of chick Tbx5 and Tbx4. Development 125: 51–60. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Genetic interaction between hoxb-5 and hoxb-6 is revealed by nonallelic noncomplementation. Genes Dev 9: 108–122. , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75: 1401–1416. , , , .
- 2000. Molecular mechanisms of development of the gastrointestinal tract. Dev Dyn 219: 109–120. .
- 1999. The T-box genes Tbx4 and Tbx5 regulate limb outgrowth and identity. Nature 398: 814–818. , , , , , .
- 2002. Specification and determination of limb identity: evidence for inhibitory regulation of Tbx gene expression. Development 129: 211–220. , , , , .
- 1997. A novel family of T-box genes in urodele amphibian limb development and regeneration: candidate genes involved in vertebrate forelimb/hindlimb patterning. Development 124: 1355–1366. , , , , , .
- 2000. Conserved and divergent expression of T-box genes Tbx2-Tbx5 in Xenopus. Mech Dev 91: 433–437. , , .
- 1998. The role of Alx-4 in the establishment of anteroposterior polarity during vertebrate limb development. Development 125: 4417–4425. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Tbx5 and Tbx4 genes determine the wing/leg identity of limb buds. Nature 398: 810–814. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Tbx5 and Tbx4 trigger limb initiation through activation of the Wnt/Fgf signaling cascade. Development 130: 2729–2739. , , , , , .
- 1995. MRC-5 cells induce the AER prior to the duplicated pattern formation in chick limb bud. Dev Biol 170: 542–552. , , , .
- 2004. A dual role for Hox genes in limb anterior-posterior asummetry. Science 204: 1669–1672. , , .