Patterns & Phenotypes
RBMX gene is essential for brain development in zebrafish
Article first published online: 13 MAY 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Developmental Neurobiology Special Issue
Volume 234, Issue 3, pages 682–688, November 2005
How to Cite
Tsend-Ayush, E., O'Sullivan, L. A., Grützner, F. S., Onnebo, S. M.N., Lewis, R. S., Delbridge, M. L., Marshall Graves, J. A. and Ward, A. C. (2005), RBMX gene is essential for brain development in zebrafish. Dev. Dyn., 234: 682–688. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20432
- Issue published online: 18 OCT 2005
- Article first published online: 13 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 28 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Received: 27 JAN 2005
- NHMRC. Grant Number: 209134
- 2002. Treatment with Myf5-morpholino results in somite patterning and brain formation defects in zebrafish. Differentiation 70: 447–456. , .
- 2001. Unusual brain growth patterns in early life in patients with autistic disorder: an MRI study. Neurology 57: 245–254. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. A human candidate spermatogenesis gene, RBMY, is conserved and amplified on the marsupial Y chromosome. Nat Genet 15: 131–136. , , , , , , .
- 1999. The candidate spermatogenesis gene RBMY has a homologue on the human X chromosome. Nat Genet 22: 223–224. , , , .
- 1997. Expression of RBM in the nuclei of human germ cells is dependent on a critical region of the Y chromosome long arm. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 3848–3853. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. An evolutionarily conserved germ cell-specific hnRNP is encoded by a retrotransposed gene. Hum Mol Genet 9: 2117–2124. , , , , , , .
- 1989. PHYLIP: phylogeny inference package, version 3.2. Cladistics 5: 164–166. .
- 2002. Evolution of the human X—a smart and sexy chromosome that controls speciation and development. Cytogenet Genome Res 99: 141–145. , , .
- 2001. Brain volume in autism. J Child Neurol 16: 421–424. , , , .
- 1988. CLUSTAL: a package for performing multiple sequence alignment on a microcomputer. Gene 15: 237–244. , .
- 2002. hnRNP-G promotes exon 7 inclusion of survival motor neuron (SMN) via direct interaction with Htra2-beta1. Hum Mol Genet 11: 2037–2049. , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 1997. Cis-acting elements conserved between mouse and pufferfish Otx2 genes govern the expression in mesencephalic neural crest cells. Development. 124: 3929–3941. , , , , , .
- 1991. Expression of the zebrafish paired box gene pax[zf-b] during early neurogenesis. Development 113: 1193–1206. , , , .
- 1994. Expression of two zebrafish orthodenticle-related genes in the embryonic brain. Mech Dev 48: 229–244. , , , .
- 2001. Expression and conservation of processed copies of the RBMX gene. Mamm Genome 12: 538–545. , , , , , , .
- 1993. A Y chromosome gene family with RNA-binding protein homology: candidates for the azoospermia factor AZF controlling human spermatogenesis. Cell 75: 1287–1295. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. RBMY evolved on the Y chromosome from a ubiquitously transcribed X-Y identical gene. Nat Genet 22: 224–226. , , , .
- 2003. HnRNP G and Tra2beta: opposite effects on splicing matched by antagonism in RNA binding. Hum Mol Genet 12: 1337–1348. , , , , .
- 1993. Cloning of the zebrafish krox-20 gene (krx-20) and its expression during hindbrain development. Nucleic Acids Res 21: 1087–1095. , .
- 2002. Zebrafish mutants identify an essential role for laminins in notochord formation. Development 129: 3137–3146. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The art and design of genetic screens: zebrafish. Nat Rev Genet 2: 956–966. , .
- 1987. The neighbour-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol Biol Evol 4: 406–425. , .
- 1993. hnRNG: sequence and characterization of a glycosylated RNA-binding protein. Nucleic Acids Res 21: 4210–4217. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Autoimmune antibodies to hnRNPG protein in dogs with systemic lupus erythematosus: epitope mapping of the antigen. J Autoimmun 18: 221–229. , , .
- 2003. Can zebrafish be used as a model to study the neurodevelopmental causes of autism? Genes Brain Behav 2: 268–281. , .
- 1999. T-STAR/ETOILE: a novel relative of SAM68 that interacts with an RNA-binding protein implicated in spermatogenesis. Hum Mol Genet 8: 959–969. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. RBMY, a probable human spermatogenesis factor, and other hnRNP G proteins interact with Tra2beta and affect splicing. Hum Mol Genet 9: 685–694. , , , , , .
- 2004. Tau exon 10, whose missplicing causes frontotemporal dementia, is regulated by an intricate interplay of cis elements and trans factors. J Neurochem 88: 1078–1090. , , , , , .
- 1996. The roles of heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoproteins (hnRNP) in RNA metabolism. Bioessays 18: 747–756. , , .
- 1995. The zebrafish book. Guide for the laboratory use of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Eugene, OR: University of Oregon Press. .
- 2000. A comparative map of the zebrafish genome. Genome Res 10: 1903–1914. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Molecular cloning and expression of a smooth muscle-specific gene SM22alpha in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 312: 741–746. , , , , , .
- 1999. Transcription map of Xq27: candidates for several X-linked diseases. Genomics 57: 209–218. , , , , , , , , , , .