Chk2/Cds1 protein kinase blocks apoptosis during early development of Xenopus laevis
Version of Record online: 3 JUN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 233, Issue 4, pages 1359–1365, August 2005
How to Cite
Wroble, B. N. and Sible, J. C. (2005), Chk2/Cds1 protein kinase blocks apoptosis during early development of Xenopus laevis. Dev. Dyn., 233: 1359–1365. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20449
- Issue online: 15 JUL 2005
- Version of Record online: 3 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 9 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 2 DEC 2004
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: R01 GM59688
- 2004. The Chk2 protein kinase. DNA Repair 3: 1039–1047. , , .
- 1997. Ionizing radiation induces apoptosis and elevates cyclin A1-Cdk2 activity prior to but not after the midblastula transition in Xenopus. Mol Biol Cell 8: 1195–1206. , , .
- 2002. Zygotic control of maternal cyclin A1 translation and mRNA stability. Dev Dyn 225: 511–521. , , , , .
- 2001. CHK2 kinase: a busy messenger. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2: 877–886. , , .
- 2003. Chk1 and Chk2 kinases in checkpoint control and cancer. Cancer Cell 3: 421–429. , .
- 2004. Drosophila melanogaster MNK/Chk2 and p53 regulate multiple DNA repair and apoptotic pathways following DNA damage. Mol Cell Biol 24: 1219–1231. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Loss of XChk1 function leads to apoptosis after the midblastula transition in Xenopus laevis embryos. Mech Dev 120: 315–323. , .
- 2004. The cell cycle checkpoint kinase Chk2 is a negative regulator of mitotic catastrophe. Oncogene 23: 4353–4361. , , , , , , .
- 2004. The DNA damage checkpoint in embryonic cell cycles is dependent on the DNA-to-cytoplasmic ratio. Dev Cell 7: 275–281. , , .
- 1991. Cell cycle tyrosine phosphorylation of p34cdc2 and a microtubule-associated protein kinase homolog in Xenopus oocytes and eggs. Mol Cell Biol 11: 1965–1971. , , , .
- 1994. Cell cycle remodeling requires cell-cell interactions in developing Xenopus embryos. J Exp Zool 270: 410–416. , .
- 2001. Inactivation of the checkpoint kinase Cds1 is dependent on cyclin B-Cdc2 kinase activation at the meiotic G2/M-phase transition in Xenopus oocytes. J Cell Sci 114: 3397–3406. , , , , .
- 2000. Response of Xenopus Cds1 in cell-free extracts to DNA templates with double-stranded ends. Mol Biol Cell 11: 1535–1546. , .
- 1996. In vivo regulation of the early embryonic cell cycles in Xenopus. Dev Biol 173: 408–419. , , .
- 1997. A developmental timer that regulates apoptosis at the onset of gastrulation. Mech Dev 69: 183–195. , .
- 2002. Chk2 is a tumor suppressor that regulates apoptosis in both an ataxia telangiectasia mutated (ATM)-dependent and an ATM-independent manner. Mol Cell Biol 22: 6521–6532. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Restoration of an absent G1 arrest and protection from apoptosis in embryonic stem cells after ionizing radiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 14443–14448. , .
- 1995. Identification of a developmental timer regulating the stability of embryonic cyclin A and a new somatic A-type cyclin at gastrulation. Genes Dev 9: 1164–1176. , , , .
- 2002. Chk2 is dispensible for p53-mediated G1 arrest but is required for a latent p53-mediated apoptotic response. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 9825–9829. , , , , , .
- 2004. DNA-dependent protein kinase and checkpoint kinase 2 synergistically activate a latent population of p53 upon DNA damage. J Biol Chem 279: 15269–15273. , , , , .
- 2000. Dissection of the XChk1 signaling pathway in Xenopus laevis embryos. Mol Biol Cell 11: 3101–3108. , , , , .
- 1999. A maternal form of the phosphatase Cdc25A regulates early embryonic cell cycles in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol 212: 381–391. , , .
- 2000. Chk1 is an essential kinase that is regulated by Atr and required for the G2/M DNA damage checkpoint. Genes Dev 14: 1448–1459. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Checking in on Cds1(Chk2): a checkpoint kinase and tumor suppressor. Bioessays 24: 502–511. .
- 2004. Xenopus Cds1 is regulated by DNA-dependent protein kinase and ATR during the cell cycle checkpoint response to double-stranded DNA ends. Mol Cell Biol 24: 9968–9985. , .
- 1999. Involvement of Chk1 kinase in prophase I arrest of Xenopus embryos. Dev Biol 207: 432–444. , , , .
- 1989. On the coupling between DNA replication and mitosis. J Cell Sci Suppl 12: 149–160. , .
- 1982a. A major developmental transition in early Xenopus embryos: I. Characterization and timing of cellular changes at the midblastula stage. Cell 30: 675–686. , .
- 1982b. A major developmental transition in early Xenopus embryos: II. Control of the onset of transcription. Cell 30: 687–696. , .
- NieuwkoopPD, FaberJ, editors. 1975. Normal table of Xenopus laevis. Amsterdam: North Holland Publishing Company.
- 2002. Checkpoints in the cell cycle. In: Encyclopedia of life sciences. London: Nature Publishing Group. http://www.els.net/. , , .
- 2002. Chk2 regulates irradiation-induced, p53-mediated apoptosis in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 11305–11310. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Altered expression of Chk1 disrupts cell cycle remodeling at the midblastula transition in Xenopus laevis embryos. Cell Cycle 3: 212–216. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Apoptosis associated with deregulated E2F activity is dependent on E2F1 and Atm/Nbs1/Chk2. Mol Cell Biol 24: 2968–2977. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Chk1 is activated transiently and targets Cdc25A for degradation at the Xenopus midblastula transition. EMBO J 21: 3694–3703. , , , , , .
- 1997. Zygotic transcription is required to block a maternal program of apoptosis in Xenopus embryos. Dev Biol 189: 335–346. , , , .
- 1997. Developmentally regulated activation of apoptosis early in Xenopus gastrulation results in cyclin A degradation during interphase of the cell cycle. Development 124: 3185–3195. , .
- 2003. Chk2 activates E2F-1 in response to DNA damage. Nat Cell Biol 5: 401–409. , , .
- 1995. Cloning and characterization of the Xenopus cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27XIC1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 10187–10191. , , , .
- 2002. Chk2-deficieint mice exhibit radioresistance and defective p53-mediated transcription. EMBO J 21: 5195–5205. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Aberrent cell cycle checkpoint function and early embryonic death in Chk1 mice. Genes Dev 14: 1439–1447. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. p53 activity is essential for normal development in Xenopus. Curr Biol 7: 747–757. , , , .
- 2003. Autophosphorylation of checkpoint kinase 2 at serine 516 is required for radiation-induced apoptosis. J Biol Chem 278: 36163–36168. , .
- 2002. PML-dependent apoptosis after DNA damage is regulated by the checkpoint kinase hCds1/Chk2. Nat Cell Biol 4: 865–870. , , , .