M.I. Galindo and S.A. Bishop contributed equally to this work
Patterns & Phenotypes
Dynamic EGFR-Ras signalling in Drosophila leg development †
Article first published online: 17 JUN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 233, Issue 4, pages 1496–1508, August 2005
How to Cite
Galindo, M.I., Bishop, S.A. and Couso, J.P. (2005), Dynamic EGFR-Ras signalling in Drosophila leg development . Dev. Dyn., 233: 1496–1508. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20452
This article was accepted for inclusion in Developmental Dynamics 233#2, June 2005 – Special Focus on Limb Development
- Issue published online: 15 JUL 2005
- Article first published online: 17 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 16 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 3 NOV 2004
- The Wellcome Trust. Grant Numbers: 057730, 066189
- 1991. The embryonic origin of imaginal discs in Drosophila. Development 112: 755–761. , .
- 1991. Cells with persistent twist expression are the embryonic precursors of adult muscles in Drosophila. Development 113: 79–89. , , .
- 1999. Composite signalling from Serrate and Delta establishes leg segments in Drosophila through Notchr Development 126: 2993–3003. , , , .
- 1994. The ETS domain protein pointed-P2 is a target of MAP kinase in the sevenless signal transduction pathway. Nature 370: 386–389. , , , , , .
- 2002. Expression pattern of Gal4 enhancer trap insertions into the bric a brac locus generated by P element replacement. Genesis 34: 62–65 , , , , .
- 2002. Distalization of the Drosophila leg by graded EGF-receptor activity. Nature 418: 781–785. .
- 1998. The roles of the homeobox genes aristaless and Distal-less in patterning the legs and wings of Drosophila. Development 125: 4483–4493 , .
- 1991. Early development of leg and wing primordia in the Drosophila embryo. Mech Dev 33: 229–240. , , .
- 1998. Proximo-distal development in the legs of Drosophila. International Journal of Developmental Biology 42: 345–352. , .
- 1993. A wingless-dependent polar coordinate system in Drosophila imaginal discs. Science 259: 484–489. , , .
- 1997. Notch signalling regulates veinlet expression and establishes boundaries between veins and interveins in the Drosophila wing. Development 124: 1919–1928. , , .
- 1998. Notch signalling mediates segmentation of the Drosophila leg. Development 125: 4617–4626. , , , .
- 2002. Spitz/EGFr signalling via the Ras/MAPK pathway mediates the induction of bract cells in Drosophila legs. Development 129: 1975–1982. , , .
- 1990. Behaviour of cells mutant for an EGF receptor homologue of Drosophila in genetic mosaics. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 242: 36–44. , .
- 1994. The sevenless signalling cassette mediates Drosophila EGF receptor function during epidermal development. Development 120: 569–578. , .
- 1994. Cell interaction between compartments establishes the proximal-distal axis of Drosophila legs. Nature 372: 175–179. , , .
- 1996. Reiterative use of the EGF receptor triggers differentiation of all cell types in the Drosophila eye. Cell 87: 651–660. .
- 1998. Complexity of EGF receptor signalling revealed in Drosophila. Curr Opin Genet Dev 8: 407–411. .
- 2000. Feedback control of intercellular signalling in development. Nature 408: 313–319. .
- 1993. The metamorphic development of the adult epidermis. In: BateM, Martinez AriasA, editors. The development of Drosophila melanogaster. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. p 843–897. , .
- 2000. Intercalation of cell fates during tarsal development in Drosophila. BioEssays 22: 777–780. , .
- 2002. Leg patterning driven by proximal-distal interactions and EGFR signaling. Science 297: 256–259. , , , .
- 1996a. The Drosophila embryonic midline is the site of Spitz processing, and induces activation of the EGF receptor in the ventral ectoderm. Development 122: 3363–3370 , , .
- 1996b. argos transcription is induced by the Drosophila EGF receptor pathway to form an inhibitory feedback loop. Development 122: 223–230. , , , .
- 1998. Cis-interactions between Delta and Notch modulate neurogenic signalling in Drosophila. Development 125: 4531–4540. , , , .
- 1998. Ectopic expression of activated Ras1 induces hyperplastic growth and increased cell death in Drosophila imaginal tissues. Development 125: 1–9. , .
- 2001. The AP-2 transcription factor is required for joint formation and cell survival in Drosophila development. Development 128: 1231–1238. , , , , .
- 1998. Interactions among Delta, Serrate and fringe modulate notch activity during Drosophila wing development. Development 125: 2951–2962. , .
- 2004. The mechanism of Drosophila leg development along the proximodistal axis. Dev Growth Differ 46: 115–129. .
- 2000. Formation and specification of distal leg segments in Drosophila by dual Bar homeobox genes, BarH1 and BarH2. Development 127: 769–778. , , .
- 1997. Proximal-distal axis formation in the Drosophila leg. Nature 388: 139–145. , .
- 1977. Histological analysis of the dynamics of growth of imaginal discs and histoblast nests during the larval development of Drosophila melanogaster. Roux Arch Dev Biol 183: 269–305. , .
- 1990. Pattern-specific expression of the Drosophila decapentaplegic gene in imaginal disks is regulated by 3′ cis-regulatory elements. Genes Dev 4: 2011–2023. , , .
- 1997. The function and regulation of cut expression on the wing margin of Drosophila: Notch, Wingless and a dominant negative role for Delta and Serrate. Development 124: 1485–1495. , , .
- 2002. Joint development in the Drosophila leg: cell movements and cell populations. Dev Biol 246: 391–406. , .
- 1994. Delta-notch signaling and Drosophila cell fate choice. Dev Biol 166: 415–430. .
- 2004. Chip-mediated partnerships of the homeodomain proteins Bar and Aristaless with the LIM-HOM proteins Apterous and Lim1 regulate distal leg development. Development 131: 3107–3120. , .
- 2000. Proximal-distal leg development in Drosophila requires the apterous gene and the Lim1 homologue dlim1. Development 127: 5391–5402. , , , .
- 2001. The establishment of segmentation in the Drosophila leg. Development 128: 4511–4521 .
- 1999. Notch-mediated segmentation and growth control of the Drosophila leg. Dev Biol 210: 339–350. , .
- 1996. Vein is a novel component in the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor pathway with similarity to the neuregulins. Genes Dev 10: 2302–2313. , , , .
- 1998. EGF domain swap converts a drosophila EGF receptor activator into an inhibitor. Genes Dev 12: 908–913. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Wnt signalling: a theme with nuclear variations. BioEssays 23: 311–318. , , .
- 2000. Receptor tyrosine kinases: specific outcomes from general signals. Cell 103: 13–15. .
- 1999. Signaling specificity: the RTK/RAS/MAP kinase pathway in metazoans. Trends Genet 15: 145–149. , .
- 2000. Requirements of Lim1, a Drosophila LIM-homeobox gene, for normal leg and antennal development. Development 127: 4315–4323. , , , , , .
- 2001. Drosophila rhomboid-1 defines a family of putative intramembrane serine proteases. Cell 107: 173–182. , , .
- 1999. Antagonism of EGFR and Notch signalling in the reiterative recruitment of Drosophila adult chordotonal sense organ precursors. Development 126: 3149–3157. , .