Patterns & Phenotypes
Runx3 is involved in hair shape determination
Article first published online: 3 JUN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 233, Issue 4, pages 1478–1487, August 2005
How to Cite
Raveh, E., Cohen, S., Levanon, D., Groner, Y. and Gat, U. (2005), Runx3 is involved in hair shape determination. Dev. Dyn., 233: 1478–1487. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20453
- Issue published online: 15 JUL 2005
- Article first published online: 3 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 28 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Received: 14 NOV 2004
- Israel Science Foundation. Grant Number: 470-01
- 2004. Epithelial Bmpr1a regulates differentiation and proliferation in postnatal hair follicles and is essential for tooth development. Development 131: 2257–2268. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. WNT signals are required for the initiation of hair follicle development. Dev Cell 2: 643–653. , , , .
- 2004. SOX9 is an intestine crypt transcription factor, is regulated by the Wnt pathway, and represses the CDX2 and MUC2 genes. J Cell Biol 166: 37–47. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Transgenic mice as a model to study the role of TGF-beta-related molecules in hair follicles. Genes Dev 7: 204–215. , , , , .
- 2003. Bone morphogenetic proteins and their antagonists in skin and hair follicle biology. J Invest Dermatol 120: 36–47. .
- 1999. Noggin is a mesenchymally derived stimulator of hair-follicle induction. Nat Cell Biol 1: 158–164. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Modulation of BMP signaling by noggin is required for induction of the secondary (nontylotrich) hair follicles. J Invest Dermatol 118: 3–10. , , , , , .
- 2004. BMP signaling in the control of skin development and hair follicle growth. Differentiation 72: 512–526. , .
- 2003. Covering the limb—formation of the integument. J Anat 202: 113–123. , , .
- 1954. Ragged: a semidominant coat texture mutant in the house mouse. J Hered 45: 151–154. , .
- 1998. Morphogenesis of epithelial appendages. In: ChuongC-M, editor. Molecular basis of epithelial appendage morphogenesis. Austin Tex: RG Landes and Company. p 3–10. .
- 2000. Evo-devo of feathers and scales: building complex epithelial appendages. Curr Opin Genet Dev 10: 449–456. , , , .
- 1990. Label-retaining cells reside in the bulge area of pilosebaceous unit: implications for follicular stem cells, hair cycle, and skin carcinogenesis. Cell 61: 1329–1337. , , .
- 1999. Multiple roles for activated LEF/TCF transcription complexes during hair follicle development and differentiation. Development 126: 4557–4568. , .
- 1926. The coat of the mouse (Mus musculus). J Genet 16: 287–340. .
- 1995. Association of versican with dermal matrices and its potential role in hair follicle development and cycling. J Invest Dermatol 105: 426–431. , , .
- 1997. Osf2/Cbfa1: a transcriptional activator of osteoblast differentiation. Cell 89: 747–754. , , , , .
- 1987. The biology of hair. Dermatol Clin 5: 467–481. .
- 2004. Runx3 regulates mouse TGF-beta-mediated dendritic cell function and its absence results in airway inflammation. EMBO J 23: 969–979. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. At the roots of a never-ending cycle. Dev Cell 1: 13–25. , , , .
- 1998. De Novo hair follicle morphogenesis and hair tumors in mice expressing a truncated beta-catenin in skin. Cell 95: 605–614. , , , .
- 1999. Interaction and functional cooperation of PEBP2/CBF with Smads. Synergistic induction of the immunoglobulin germline Calpha promoter. J Biol Chem 274: 31577–31582. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Alkaline phosphatase activity and localization during the murine hair cycle. Br J Dermatol 131: 303–310. , , , , .
- 1992. The secret life of the hair follicle. Trends Genet 8: 55–61. .
- 2001. New aspects of Wnt signaling pathways in higher vertebrates. Curr Opin Genet Dev 11: 547–553. , .
- 2002. Runx3 controls the axonal projection of proprioceptive dorsal root ganglion neurons. Nat Neurosci 5: 946–954. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Lymphoid enhancer factor-1 and beta-catenin inhibit Runx2dependent transcriptional activation of the osteocalcin promoter. J Biol Chem 278: 11937–11944. , .
- 2000. Wnt signaling maintains the hair-inducing activity of the dermal papilla. Genes Dev 14: 1181–1185. , , .
- 1999. Selective activation of the versican promoter by epithelial-mesenchymal interactions during hair follicle development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 7336–7341. , , , , , .
- 2003. Defining BMP functions in the hair follicle by conditional ablation of BMP receptor IA. J Cell Biol 163: 609–623. , , , , .
- 2000. Inhibition of Bmp signaling affects growth and differentiation in the anagen hair follicle. EMBO J 19: 6664–6674. , , .
- 2002. Regulation of hair follicle development by the TNF signal ectodysplasin and its receptor Edar. Development 129: 2541–2553. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Regulation of AML2/CBFA3 in hematopoietic cells through the retinoic acid receptor alpha-dependent signaling pathway. J Biol Chem 274: 21651–21658. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The Runx3 transcription factor regulates development and survival of TrkC dorsal root ganglia neurons. EMBO J 21: 3454–3463. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Spatial and temporal expression pattern of Runx3 (Aml2) and Runx1 (Aml1) indicates non-redundant functions during mouse embryogenesis. Mech Dev 109: 413–417. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Structure and regulated expression of mammalian RUNX genes. Oncogene 23: 4211–4219. , .
- 1994. AML1, AML2, and AML3, the human members of the runt domain gene-family: cDNA structure, expression, and chromosomal localization. Genomics 23: 425–432. , , , , , .
- 1998. Transcriptional repression by AML1 and LEF-1 is mediated by the TLE/Groucho corepressors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 11590–11595. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The wnt signaling pathway in development and disease. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 20: 781–810 , .
- 1995. Structural basis for DNA bending by the architectural transcription factor LEF-1. Nature 376: 791–795. , , , , , .
- 2003. ‘Cyclic alopecia’ in Msx2 mutants: defects in hair cycling and hair shaft differentiation. Development 130: 379–389. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1962. Prenatal formation of hair follicle types. Anat Rec 144: 135–141. .
- 2004. Coordinate regulation of cell growth and differentiation by TGF-beta superfamily and Runx proteins. Oncogene 23: 4232–4237. , , .
- 2001. A comprehensive guide for the accurate classification of murine hair follicles in distinct hair cycle stages. J Invest Dermatol 117: 3–15. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Mutant laboratory mice with abnormalities in hair follicle morphogenesis, cycling, and/or structure: annotated tables. Exp Dermatol 10: 369–390. , , .
- 1994. Characterization of the complete genomic structure of the human versican gene and functional analysis of its promoter. J Biol Chem 269: 32999–33008. , , .
- 1995. AML1 and the 8;21 and 3;21 translocations in acute and chronic myeloid leukemia. Blood 86: 1–14. , .
- 1997. Cbfa1, a candidate gene for cleidocranial dysplasia syndrome, is essential for osteoblast differentiation and bone development. Cell 89: 765–771. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Generation and cyclic remodeling of the hair follicle immune system in mice. J Invest Dermatol 111: 7–18. , , , , , , .
- 2000a. Mice null for sox18 are viable and display a mild coat defect. Mol Cell Biol 20: 9331–9336. , , , , .
- 2000b. Mutations in Sox18 underlie cardiovascular and hair follicle defects in ragged mice. Nat Genet 24: 434–437. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. In: Bereiter-HahnJ, MatoltsyA, RichardsK, editors. Biology of the integument, vertebrates. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. p 374–408. .
- 2004. Sox17 and beta-catenin cooperate to regulate the transcription of endodermal genes. Development 131: 3069–3080. , , , .
- 1957. The morphology and development of “Ragged” - a mutant affecting the skin and hair of the house mouse. J Genet 55: 570–584. .
- 1995. A new transcription factor family associated with human leukemias. Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr 5: 337–364. , .
- 2001. Controls of hair follicle cycling. Physiol Rev 81: 449–494. , .
- 1994. Handbook of mouse mutations with skin and hair abnormalities: animal models and biomedical tools. Boca Raton, Fla: CRC Press. .
- 2000. MITF: a stream flowing for pigment cells. Pigment Cell Res 13: 230–240. .
- 2002. Differential requirements for Runx proteins in CD4 repression and epigenetic silencing during T lymphocyte development. Cell 111: 621–633. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Involvement of follicular stem cells in forming not only the follicle but also the epidermis. Cell 102: 451–461. , , , , .
- 1995. Regulation of organogenesis. Common molecular mechanisms regulating the development of teeth and other organs. Int J Dev Biol 39: 35–50. , , .
- 1991. LEF-1, a gene encoding a lymphoid-specific protein with an HMG domain, regulates T-cell receptor alpha enhancer function. Genes Dev 5: 880–894. , , , .
- 1972. Hair growth in mouse mutants affecting coat texture. J Zool Lond 168: 165–198. .
- 1996. Disruption of the Cbfa2 gene causes necrosis and hemorrhaging in the central nervous system and blocks definitive hematopoiesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 3444–3449. , , , , , .
- 1999. Mammalian runt-domain proteins and their roles in hematopoiesis, osteogenesis, and leukemia. J Cell Biochem Suppl 32–33: 51–58. , .
- 2002. Matching SOX: partner proteins and co-factors of the SOX family of transcriptional regulators. Curr Opin Genet Dev 12: 441–446. , .
- 1998. Mechanisms of Wnt signaling in development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 14: 59–88. , .
- 2003. Runx3 and Runx1 are required for CD8 T cell development during thymopoiesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 7731–7736. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Lymphoid enhancer factor 1 directs hair follicle patterning and epithelial cell fate. Genes Dev 9: 700–713. , , , .