This article was accepted for inclusion in Developmental Dynamics 233#2, June 2005–Special Focus on Limb Development.
Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression of heat-shock protein 70 during limb development and regeneration in the axolotl†
Version of Record online: 17 JUN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 233, Issue 4, pages 1525–1534, August 2005
How to Cite
Lévesque, M., Guimond, J.-C., Pilote, M., Leclerc, S., Moldovan, F. and Roy, S. (2005), Expression of heat-shock protein 70 during limb development and regeneration in the axolotl. Dev. Dyn., 233: 1525–1534. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20458
- Issue online: 15 JUL 2005
- Version of Record online: 17 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 APR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 30 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 26 OCT 2004
- Canadian Institute for Health Research
- Fond de Recherche en Santé du Québec
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- Réseau de Recherche en Santé Buccodentaire du Québec
- 1989. Developmental biology of the axolotl. New York: Oxford University Press. xi, 320 p. , .
- 1994. Expression of Hox A11 in the limb and the regeneration blastema of adult newt. Int J Dev Biol 38: 641–649. , , , .
- 1984a. Developmental control of the heat shock response in Xenopus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 81: 3138–3142. .
- 1984b. Xenopus hsp 70 genes are constitutively expressed in injected oocytes. EMBO J 3: 2477–2483. .
- 2003. Can thermal lasers promote skin wound healing? Am J Clin Dermatol 4: 1–12. , .
- 1999. TGF-beta1 mediates 70-kDa heat shock protein induction due to ultraviolet irradiation in human skin fibroblasts. Pflugers Arch 438: 239–244. , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression of Msx-2 during development, regeneration, and wound healing in axolotl limbs. J Exp Zool 282: 715–723. , , .
- 2002. Attenuating effects of heat shock against TGF-beta1-induced apoptosis in cultured rat hepatocytes. Free Radic Biol Med 33: 835–846. , , .
- 2003. Electroporation as a tool to study in vivo spinal cord regeneration. Dev Dyn 226: 418–425. , .
- 1997. Hsp70 prevents activation of stress kinases. A novel pathway of cellular thermotolerance. J Biol Chem 272: 18033–18037. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Regulation of HoxA expression in developing and regenerating axolotl limbs. Development 121: 1731–1741. , , , .
- 1999. Towards a functional analysis of limb regeneration. Semin Cell Dev Biol 10: 385–393. , , .
- 2003. Localization of HSP70, Cdc2, and cyclin B in sea urchin oocytes in non-stressed conditions. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 310: 748–753. , , , .
- 1997. Heat shock protein gene expression during Xenopus development. Cell Mol Life Sci 53: 114–121. , , , .
- 2000. Chaperones in cell cycle regulation and mitogenic signal transduction: a review. Cell Prolif 33: 341–365. , , .
- 1973. Forelimb regeneration from different levels of amputation in the Newt, Notophthalmus viridescens: length, rate, and stages. Wilhelm Roux Arch 173: 263–282. , .
- 1998. Expression of Msx genes in regenerating and developing limbs of axolotl. J Exp Zool 282: 703–714. , , , , .
- 2002. Heat shock proteins: modifying factors in physiological stress responses and acquired thermotolerance. J Appl Physiol 92: 2177–2186. .
- 2003. Heat shock proteins in development, aging, and evolution. Semin Cell Dev Biol 14: 249. .
- 2002. Impaired repair ability of hsp70.1 KO mouse after UVB irradiation. J Dermatol Sci 28: 144–151. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685. .
- 1998. Expression of heat shock proteins in mouse skin during wound healing. J Histochem Cytochem 46: 1291–1301. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The 70 kDa heat shock protein suppresses matrix metalloproteinases in astrocytes. Neuroreport 15: 499–502. , , , , , .
- 2000. Heat shock protein 70 inhibits apoptosis downstream of cytochrome c release and upstream of caspase-3 activation. J Biol Chem 275: 25665–25671. , , , , .
- 1998. Hsp and chaperone distribution during endochondral bone development in mouse embryo. Cell Stress Chaperones 3: 237–244. , .
- 1997. Heat shock proteins and heat adaptation of the whole organism. J Appl Physiol 83: 1413–1417. .
- 2004. Molecular chaperones and the stress of oncogenesis. Oncogene 23: 2907–2918. , .
- 1996. Nerve dependency of regeneration: the role of Distal-less and FGF signaling in amphibian limb regeneration. Development 122: 3487–3497. , , , , .
- 2003. Extending the table of stages of normal development of the axolotl: limb development. Dev Dyn 226: 555–560. , , , .
- 1995. Differential expression of heat shock protein 70 in well healing and chronic human wound tissue. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 214: 1009–1014. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A genetic reporter of thermal stress defines physiologic zones over a defined temperature range. FASEB J 18: 264–271. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Transforming growth factor beta s and wound healing. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 29: 63–78. , .
- 1993. The function of heat-shock proteins in stress tolerance: degradation and reactivation of damaged proteins. Annu Rev Genet 27: 437–496. , .
- 2001. Growth factors, heat-shock proteins and regeneration in echinoderms. J Exp Biol 204: 843–848. , , , , .
- 1997. Conditions for a heat shock response during oogenesis and embryogenesis of the amphibian Pleurodeles waltl. Dev Growth Differ 39: 477–484. , , .
- 1994. Increased renal 25-hydroxyvitamin D3–24-hydroxylase messenger ribonucleic acid and immunoreactive protein in phosphate-deprived Hyp mice: a mechanism for accelerated 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 catabolism in X-linked hypophosphatemic rickets. Endocrinology 134: 1761–1767. , , , .
- 2000. Vaccinia as a tool for functional analysis in regenerating limbs: ectopic expression of Shh. Dev Biol 218: 199–205. , , .
- 1993. Analysis of Hox-4.5 and Hox-3.6 expression during newt limb regeneration: differential regulation of paralogous Hox genes suggest different roles for members of different Hox clusters. Development 117: 1397–1407. , .
- 1967. An investigation recording all salamanders which can and cannot regenerate a lens from the dorsal iris. J Exp Zool 164: 87–103. .
- 1997. Newt myotubes reenter the cell cycle by phosphorylation of the retinoblastoma protein. J Cell Biol 136: 155–165. , , , .
- 1976. A staging system for forelimb regeneration in the axolotl, Ambystoma mexicanum. J Morphol 150: 117–128. , , .
- 2004. Distinct stimulus-specific histone modifications at hsp70 chromatin targeted by the transcription factor heat shock factor-1. Mol Cell 15: 585–594. , , , .
- 2005. Generation of transgenic newt Cynops pyrrhogaster for regeneration study. Genesis 41: 87–98. , , .
- 1995. Identification of a complex between centrin and heat shock proteins in CSF-arrested Xenopus oocytes and dissociation of the complex following oocyte activation. Dev Biol 171: 51–59. , , , , .
- 2004. Growth and apoptosis during larval forelimb development and adult forelimb regeneration in the newt (Notophthalmus viridescens). Dev Genes Evol 214: 423–431. , , .
- 1981. Vertebrate limb regeneration. New York: Wiley. xii, 276 p. .
- 1986. Cellular and biochemical events in mammalian cells during and after recovery from physiological stress. J Cell Biol 103: 2035–2052. , .