Patterns & Phenotypes
Platelet-derived growth factors in the developing avian heart and maturating coronary vasculature
Article first published online: 22 JUN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 233, Issue 4, pages 1579–1588, August 2005
How to Cite
Van Den Akker, N. M.S., Lie-Venema, H., Maas, S., Eralp, I., DeRuiter, M. C., Poelmann, R. E. and Gittenberger-De Groot, A. C. (2005), Platelet-derived growth factors in the developing avian heart and maturating coronary vasculature. Dev. Dyn., 233: 1579–1588. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20476
- Issue published online: 15 JUL 2005
- Article first published online: 22 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 APR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 6 APR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 17 DEC 2004
- The Netherlands Heart Foundation. Grant Numbers: 2001B057, 2001B015
- 1997. Spatial and temporal expression of the 72-kDa type IV collagenase (MMP-2) correlates with development and differentiation of valves in the embryonic avian heart. Dev Dyn 209: 261–268. , , , .
- 1994. PDGF-BB modulates endothelial proliferation and angiogenesis in vitro via PDGF β-receptors. J Cell Biol 125: 917–928. , , , , .
- 1998. Patterns of paired-related homeobox genes PRX1 and PRX2 suggest involvement in matrix modulation in the developing chick vascular system. Dev Dyn 213: 59–70. , , , , , .
- 2003. Biology of platelet-derived growth factors in development. Birth Defects Res 69: 272–285. .
- 2001. Developmental roles of platelet-derived growth factors. Bioessays 23: 494–507. , , .
- 1998. Common epicardial origin of coronary vascular smooth muscle, perivascular fibroblasts, and intermyocardial fibroblasts in the avian heart. Dev Biol 193: 169–181. , , , .
- 2000. The mouse Pdgfc gene: dynamic expression in embryonic tissues during organogenesis. Mech Dev 96: 209–213. , , , , , .
- 2003. Elevated glucose inhibits VEGF-A-mediated endocardial cushion formation: modulation by PECAM-1 and MMP-2. J Cell Biol 160: 605–615. , , , , , .
- 2005. Coronary artery and orifice development is associated with proper timing of epicardial outgrowth and correlated Fas ligand associated apoptosis patterns. Circ Res 96: 526–534. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. PDGF C is a selective alpha platelet-derived growth factor receptor agonist that is highly expressed in platelet alpha granules and vascular smooth muscle. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24: 787–792. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Collagen type VI expression during cardiac development and in human fetuses with trisomy 21. Anat Rec 275A: 1109–1116. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Epicardial outgrowth inhibition leads to compensatory mesothelial outflow tract collar and abnormal cardiac septation and coronary formation. Circ Res 87: 969–971. , , , , .
- 1998. Epicardial derived cells, EPDCs, contribute a novel population to the myocardial wall and the atrioventricular cushions. Circ Res 82: 1043–1052. , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2002. New members of the platelet-derived growth factor family of mitogens. Arch Biochem Biophys 398: 284–290. , , .
- 1999. Role of PDGF-B and PDGFR-β in recruitment of vascular smooth muscle cells and pericytes during embryonic blood vessel formation in the mouse. Development 126: 3047–3055. , , , , .
- 1998. PDGF, TGF-β, and heterotypic cell-cell interactions mediate endothelial cell-induced recruitment of 10T1/2 cells and their differentiation to a smooth muscle fate. J Cell Biol 141: 805–814. , , .
- 2003. Roles of PDGF in animal development. Development 130: 4769–4784. , .
- 2003. Angiopoietin-regulated recruitment of vascular smooth muscle cells by endothelial-derived heparin binding EGF-like growth factor. FASEB J 17: 1609–1621. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Primate smooth muscle cell migration from aortic explants is mediated by endogenous platelet-derived growth factor and basic fibroblast growth factor acting through matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9. Circulation 96: 3555–3560. , , , .
- 1999. A role for serum response factor in coronary smooth muscle differentiation from proepicardial cells. Development 126: 2053–2062. , , , , , .
- 2005. Myocardial heterogeneity in permissiveness for epicardium-derived cells and endothelial precursor cells along the developing heart tube at the onset of coronary vascularization. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 282: 120–129. , , , , , .
- 2003. Ets-1 and Ets-2 transcription factors are essential for normal coronary and myocardial development in chicken embryos. Circ Res 92: 749–756. , , , , , , .
- 1997a. Pericyte loss and microaneurysm formation in PDGF-B-deficient mice. Science 277: 242–245. , , , .
- 1997b. Alveogenesis failure in PDGF-A-deficient mice is coupled to lack of distal spreading of alveolar smooth muscle cell progenitors during lung development. Development 124: 3943–3953. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Endothelial PDGF-B retention is required for proper investment of pericytes in the microvessel wall. Genes Dev 17: 1835–1840. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Coronary smooth muscle differentiation from proepicardial cells requires RhoA-mediated actin reorganization and p160 rho-kinase activity. Dev Biol 240: 404–418. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. De novo vasculogenesis in the heart. Cardiovasc Res 58: 378–389. , .
- 2001. The origin, formation and developmental significance of the epicardium: a review. Cells Tissues Organs 169: 89–103. , , , .
- 1996. Pericardial mesoderm generates a population of coronary smooth muscle cells migrating into the heart along with ingrowth of the epicardial organ. Dev Biol 174: 221–232. , .
- 2001. Positive and negative regulation of epicardial-mesenchymal transformation during avian heart development. Dev Biol 234: 204–215. , , , , .
- 2002. Mechanisms of embryonic coronary artery development. Curr Opin Cardiol 17: 235–241. , , .
- 1992. A PDGF receptor mutation in the mouse (Patch) perturbs the development of a non-neuronal subset of neural crest-derived cells. Development 115: 133–142. , , , , .
- 2002. The epicardium and epicardial-derived cells: multiple functions in cardiac development. Rev Esp Cardiol 55: 1070–1082. , , , , , .
- 1998. Ets-1 is an early response gene activated by ET-1 and PDGF-BB in vascular smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 43: C472–C480. , , , , , .
- 2004. Angiopoietin 1, PDGF-B, and TGF-beta gene regulation in endothelial cell and smooth muscle cell interaction. J Cell Biochem 91: 584–593. , .
- 1992. Platelet-derived growth factor-A and its receptor are expressed in separate, but adjacent cell layers of the mouse embryo. Development 115: 1045–1058. , .
- 2002. Platelet-derived growth factor-B expression induced after rat peripheral nerve injuries. Glia 38: 303–312. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Origin of coronary endothelial cells from epicardial mesothelium in avian embryos. Int J Dev Biol 46: 1005–1013. , , , , , .
- 1993. Development of the cardiac coronary vascular endothelium, studied with antiendothelial antibodies, in chicken-quail chimeras. Circ Res 73: 559–568. , , , , .
- 2002. Development of the coronary vessel system. Circ Res 91: 761–768. , , .
- 1992. Regulation and role of PDGF receptor α-subunit expression during embryogenesis. Development 115: 123–131. , , , , .
- 1995. Platelet-derived growth factor receptor alpha subunit deleted patch mouse exhibits severe cardiovascular dysmorphogenesis. Teratology 51: 351–366. , , , .
- 2000. Degradation of type IV collagen by matrix metalloproteinases is an important step in the epithelial-mesenchymal transformation of the endocardial cushions. Dev Biol 227: 606–617. , , .
- 1997. The PDGFα receptor is required for neural crest cell development and for normal patterning of the somites. Development 124: 2691–2700. .
- 1997. PDGFRα expression during mouse embryogenesis: immunolocalization analyzed by whole-mount immunostaining using the monoclonal anti-mouse PDGFRα antibody APA5. J Histochem Cytochem 45: 883–893. , , , , , .
- 1996. Formation of the coronary vasculature: a brief review. Cardiovasc Res 31: E46–E51. .
- 2000. Distribution of different regions of cardiac neural crest in the extrinsic and the intrinsic cardiac nervous system. Dev Dyn 217: 191–204. , , , .
- 1993. Early development of quail heart epicardium and associated vascular and glandular structures. Anat Embryol (Berl) 188: 381–393. , , , .
- 1999. Smooth muscle cells and fibroblasts of the coronary arteries derive from epithelial-mesenchymal transformation of the epicardium. Anat Embryol (Berl) 199: 367–378. , , , .
- 1995. Cytokeratins as a marker for epicardial formation in the quail embryo. Anat Embryol (Berl) 191: 503–508. , , , .
- 2004. The epicardium and epicardially derived cells (EPDCs) as cardiac stem cells. Anat Rec 276A: 43–57. , .
- 1987. Polarized secretion of A platelet-derived growth-factor like chemotactic factor by endothelial-cells in vitro. J Cell Biol 105: 2037–2041. , .
- 2003. A novel murine PDGF-D splicing variant results in significant differences in peptide expression and function. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 308: 126–132. , , , , .