Regulation of melanoblast and retinal pigment epithelium development by Xenopus laevis Mitf
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Developmental Neurobiology Special Issue
Volume 234, Issue 3, pages 523–534, November 2005
How to Cite
Kumasaka, M., Sato, S., Yajima, I., Goding, C. R. and Yamamoto, H. (2005), Regulation of melanoblast and retinal pigment epithelium development by Xenopus laevis Mitf. Dev. Dyn., 234: 523–534. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20505
- Issue online: 18 OCT 2005
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 1 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Received: 4 JAN 2005
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology, Japan
- 1998. Identification of a novel isoform of microphthalmia-associated transcription factor that is enriched in retinal pigment epithelium. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 247: 710–715. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Sox10 regulates the development of neural crest-derived melanocytes in Xenopus. Dev Biol 259: 19–33. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Retinal pigmented epithelium determination requires the redundant activities of Pax2 and Pax6. Development 130: 2903–2915. , , , , , .
- 2003. The color loci of mice—a genetic century. Pigment Cell Res 16: 333–344. , .
- 1994. Melanocyte-specific expression of the human tyrosinase promoter: activation by the microphthalmia gene product and role of the initiator. Mol Cell Biol 14: 7996–8006. , , .
- 2000. Interaction among SOX10, PAX3 and MITF, three genes altered in Waardenburg syndrome. Hum Mol Genet 9: 1907–1917. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Inhibition of neural crest migration in Xenopus using antisense Slug RNA. Dev Biol 213: 101–115. , , , .
- 1998. Brachyury-related transcription factor Tbx2 and repression of the melanocyte-specific TRP-1 promoter. Moll Cell Biol 18: 5099–5108. , , , , .
- 2000. The gene encoding T-box transcription factor Tbx-2 is a target for the microphthalmia-associated transcription factor in melanocytes. J Biol Chem 275: 21920–21927. , , .
- 2005. Mitf cooperates with Rb1 and activates p21Cip1 expression to regulate cell cycle progression. Nature 433: 764–769. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Pax6 induces ectopic eyes in a vertebrate. Development 126: 4213–4222. , , , .
- 2002. Overexpression of Snail family members highlights their ability to promote chick neural crest formation. Development 129: 1583–1593. , .
- 2002. Fate map of the chicken neural plate at stage 4. Development 129: 2807–2822. , , , , .
- 1992. Single amino acid substitutions alter helix-loop-helix protein specificity for bases flanking the core CANNTG motif. EMBO J 11: 4103–4109. , .
- 1999. Molecular cloning of cDNA encoding a novel microphthalmia-associated transcription factor isoform with a distinct amino-terminus. J Biochem 126: 1043–1051. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Mitf from neural crest to melanoma: signal transduction and transcription in the melanocyte lineage. Genes Dev 14: 1712–1728. .
- 1989. Catalog of mutant genes and polymorphic loci Genetic variants and strains of the laboratory mouse. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 2000. Genomic, transcriptional and mutational analysis of the mouse microphthalmia locus. Genetics 155: 291–300. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Xenopus Pax-2 displays multiple splice forms during embryogenesis and pronephric kidney development. Mech Dev 69: 83–104. , .
- 2005. Genomic analysis of the Microphthalmia locus and identification of the MITF-J/Mitf-J isoform. Gene 347: 73–82. , .
- 1993. Mutations at the mouse microphthalmia locus are associated with defects in a gene encoding a novel basic-helix-loop-helix-zipper protein. Cell 74: 395–404. , , , , , , .
- 1994. A gene for Waardenburg syndrome type 2 maps close to the human homologue of the microphthalmia gene at chromosome 3p12–p141. Nat Genet 7: 509–512. , , , .
- 2004. Direct interaction of Sox10 with the promoter of murine dopachrome tautomerase (Dct) and synergistic activation of Dct expression with Mitf. Pigment Cell Res 17: 352–362. , , , , , .
- 1997. A general method to design dominant negative to B-HLHZip proteins that abolish DNA binding. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 12274–12279. , , , , , .
- 2003. Isolation and developmental expression of tyrosinase family gene in Xenopus laevis. Pigment Cell Res 16: 455–462. , , , .
- 2004. Isolation and developmental expression of Mitf in Xenopus laevis. Dev Dyn 230: 107–113. , , , , .
- 1998. Neural crest induction in Xenopus: evidence for a two-signal model. Development 125: 2403–2414. , .
- 2000. Snail-related transcriptional repressors are required in Xenopus for both the induction of the neural crest and its subsequent migration. Dev Biol 221: 195–205. , .
- 2000. Direct regulation of the Microphthalmia promoter by Sox10 links Waardenburg-Shah syndrome (WS4)-associated hypopigmentation and deafness to WS2. J Biol Chem 275: 37978–37983. , , , , .
- 1999. nacre encodes a zebrafish microphthalmia-related protein that regulates neural-crest-derived pigment cell fate. Development 126: 3757–3767. , , , , .
- 2005. MITF links differentiation with cell cycle arrest in melanocytes by transcriptional activation of INK4A. J Cell Biol 168: 35–40. , , , .
- 1995. Induction of the prospective neural crest of Xenopus. Development 121: 767–777. , , .
- 1998. Role of Mitf in differentiation and transdifferentiation of chicken pigmented epithelial cell. Dev Biol 193: 47–62. , , , , .
- 1998. Mutations in microphthalmia, the mouse homolog of the human deafness gene MITF, affect neuroepithelial and neural crest-derived melanocytes differently. Mech Dev 70: 155–166. , , , , , .
- 1994. Control of cell behaviour during vertebrate development by Slug, a zinc finger gene. Science 264: 835–839. , , , .
- 1967. Normal Table of Xenopus laevis (Daudin). Amsterdam: North-Holland. , .
- 1990. Spatially and temporally restricted expression of Pax2 during murine neurogenesis. Development 109: 797–809. , , , , .
- 1997. Melanocyte development in vivo and in neural crest cell cultures: crucial dependence on the Mitf basic-helix-loop-helix-zipper transcription factor. Development 124: 2377–2386. , , , , , .
- 2001. Specific Pax-6/microphthalmia transcription factor interactions involve their DNA-binding domains and inhibit transcriptional properties of both proteins. J Biol Chem 276: 29330–29337. , , , , .
- 2000. Transcription factor hierarchy in Waardenburg syndrome: regulation of MITF expression by SOX10 and PAX3. Hum Genet 107: 1–6. , , , , .
- 2002. SLUG (SNAI2) deletions in patients with Waardenburg disease. Hum Mol Genet 11: 3231–3236. , , , , , .
- 2000. Spatial specification of mammalian eye territories by reciprocal transcriptional repression of Pax2 and Pax6. Development 127: 4325–4334. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Conserved and divergent roles for members of the Snail family of transcription factors in the chick and mouse embryo. Development 125: 3111–3121. , , .
- 1994. Molecular basis of mouse microphthalmia (mi) mutations helps explain their developmental and phenotypic consequences. Nat Genet 8: 256–263. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Interallelic complementation at the Mouse Mitf locus. Genetics 163: 267–276. , , , , , .
- 1992. Cochlear disorder associated with melanocyte anomaly in mice with a transgenic insertional mutation. Mol Cell Neurosci 3: 433–445. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Cloning of MITF, the human homolog of the mouse microphthalmia gene and assignment to chromosome 3p141–p123. Hum Mol Genet 3: 553–557. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Ectopic expression of MITF, a gene for Waardenburg syndrome type 2, converts fibroblasts to cells with melanocyte characteristics. Nat Genet 14: 50–54. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Mitf-D, a newly identified isoform, expressed in the retinal pigment epithelium and monocyte-lineage cells affected by Mitf mutations. Biochim Biophys Acta 1574: 15–23. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Waardenburg syndrome type 2 caused by mutations in the human microphthalmia (MITF) gene. Nat Genet 8: 251–235. , , .
- 1995. The mutational spectrum in Waardenburg syndrome. Hum Mol Genet 4: 2131–2137. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Involvement of transcription factor encoded by the mi locus in the expression of c-kit receptor tyrosinase kinase in cultured mast cells of mice. Blood 88: 1225–1233. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Structural organization of the human microphthalmia-associated transcription factor gene containing four alternative promoters. Biochem Biophys Acta 1491: 205–219. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Identification of a distal enhancer for the melanocyte-specific promoter of the MITF gene. Pigment Cell Res 15: 201–211. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. An L1 element intronic insertion in the black-eyed white (Mitfmi-bw) gene: the loss of a single Mitf isoform responsible for the pigmentary defect and inner ear deafness. Hum Mol Genet 8: 1431–1441. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Microphthalmia-associated transcription factor as a regulator for melanocyte-specific transcription of the human tyrosinase gene. Mol Cell Biol 14: 8058–8070. , , , , .
- 1998. A big gene linked to small eyes encodes multiple Mitf isoforms: many promoters make light work. Pigment Cell Res 11: 329–336. , , , , , .
- 1995. The microphthalmia gene product interacts with the retinoblastoma protein in vitro and is a target for deregulation of melanocyte-specific transcription. Oncogene 10: 123–134 , , , , , .