N. Aghaallaei and B. Bajoghli contributed equally to this work.
Patterns & Phenotypes
Duplicated members of the Groucho/Tle gene family in fish
Version of Record online: 29 JUL 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 234, Issue 1, pages 143–150, September 2005
How to Cite
Aghaallaei, N., Bajoghli, B., Walter, I. and Czerny, T. (2005), Duplicated members of the Groucho/Tle gene family in fish. Dev. Dyn., 234: 143–150. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20510
- Issue online: 16 AUG 2005
- Version of Record online: 29 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 APR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 27 APR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 25 FEB 2005
- Austrian Science Fund (FWF). Grant Number: P15185
- Austrian Genome Project GEN-AU
- 1998. Zebrafish hox clusters and vertebrate genome evolution. Science 282: 1711–1714. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Vertebrate evolution: recent perspectives from fish. Trends Genet 16: 54–56. .
- 2005. Groucho corepressor proteins regulate otic vesicle outgrowth. Dev Dyn 233: 760–771. , , .
- 2004. GeneWise and Genomewise. Genome Res 14: 988–995. , , .
- 2001. All Tcf HMG box transcription factors interact with Groucho-related co-repressors. Nucleic Acids Res 29: 1410–1419. , , , .
- 2003. Groucho suppresses Pax2 transactivation by inhibition of JNK-mediated phosphorylation. Embo J 22: 5522–5529. , , , , .
- 1998. Drosophila Tcf and Groucho interact to repress Wingless signalling activity. Nature 395: 604–608. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Groucho/TLE family proteins and transcriptional repression. Gene 249: 1–16. , .
- 1997. Cloning and developmental expression of Xenopus cDNAs encoding the Enhancer of split groucho and related proteins. Gene 195: 41–48. , , , .
- 1995. TLE expression correlates with mouse embryonic segmentation, neurogenesis, and epithelial determination. Mech Dev 53: 369–381. , , , .
- 2000. Transcriptional repression by Pax5 (BSAP) through interaction with corepressors of the Groucho family. Embo J 19: 2292–2303. , , , .
- 1996. Hox genes and chordate evolution. Dev Biol 173: 382–395. , .
- 2004. Stages of normal development in the medaka Oryzias latipes. Mech Dev 121: 605–618. .
- 2004. Genome duplication in the teleost fish Tetraodon nigroviridis reveals the early vertebrate proto-karyotype. Nature 431: 946–957. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Groucho acts as a corepressor for a subset of negative regulators, including Hairy and Engrailed. Genes Dev 11: 3072–3082. , , .
- 2001. The homeobox protein Six3 interacts with the Groucho corepressor and acts as a transcriptional repressor in eye and forebrain formation. Dev Biol 232: 315–326. , , , .
- 1997. Grg3, a murine Groucho-related gene, is expressed in the developing nervous system and in mesenchyme-induced epithelial structures. Dev Dyn 208: 11–24. , .
- 1968. Genetic variations of Drosophila melanogaster. Washington, DC: Carnegie Institution of Washington. , .
- 2003. Six3 and Six6 activity is modulated by members of the groucho family. Development 130: 185–195. , , , , .
- 1999. Gene and genome duplications in vertebrates: the one-to-four (-to-eight in fish) rule and the evolution of novel gene functions. Curr Opin Cell Biol 11: 699–704. , .
- 1993. Molecular cloning and expression of mouse and human cDNA encoding AES and ESG proteins with strong similarity to Drosophila enhancer of split groucho protein. Eur J Biochem 216: 343–352. , , , .
- 2000. Differential expression of the Groucho-related genes 4 and 5 during early development of Xenopus laevis. Mech Dev 91: 311–315. , , , , .
- 1970. Evolution by gene duplication. New York: Springer. .
- 1998. Characterization of three novel members of the zebrafish Pax2/5/8 family: dependency of Pax5 and Pax8 expression on the Pax2.1 (noi) function. Development 125: 3063–3074. , , , , .
- 1997. The Groucho-like transcription factor UNC-37 functions with the neural specificity gene unc-4 to govern motor neuron identity in C. elegans. Development 124: 1699–1709. , , ,
- 1998. Vertebrate genome evolution and the zebrafish gene map. Nat Genet 18: 345–349. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Evolutionary genetics of fish. Adv Genet 29: 119–228. .
- 1998. Zebrafish hox genes: genomic organization and modified colinear expression patterns in the trunk. Development 125: 407–420. , , , .
- 2004. Otx2 regulates the extent, identity and fate of neuronal progenitor domains in the ventral midbrain. Development 131: 2037–2048. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Large-scale expression screening by automated whole-mount in situ hybridization. Mech Dev 121: 971–976. , , , , , , .
- 1993. A rat homolog of the Drosophila enhancer of split (groucho) locus lacking WD-40 repeats. J Biol Chem 268: 25681–25686. , .
- 1998. Eukaryote genome duplication: where's the evidence? Curr Opin Genet Dev 8: 694–700. , .
- 1997. Vertebrate evolution by interspecific hybridisation: are we polyploid? FEBS Lett 400: 2–8. .
- 1992. Human homologs of a Drosophila Enhancer of split gene product define a novel family of nuclear proteins. Nat Genet 2: 119–127. , , , , .
- 1998. Dorsal-mediated repression requires the formation of a multiprotein repression complex at the ventral silencer. Mol Cell Biol 18: 6584–6594. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Two zebrafish homolugues of the Drosophila neurogenic gene groucho and their pattern of transcription during early embryogenesis. Dev Genes Evol 207: 156–166. , .
- 1998. Combinatorial expression patterns of individual TLE proteins during cell determination and differentiation suggest non-redundant functions for mammalian homologs of Drosophila Groucho. Dev Growth Differ 40: 133–146. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Six3-mediated auto repression and eye development requires its interaction with members of the Groucho-related family of co-repressors. Development 129: 2835–2849. , , , , , .