Patterns & Phenotypes
Dynamics and unexpected localization of the plakin binding protein, kazrin, in mouse eggs and early embryos
Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 234, Issue 1, pages 201–214, September 2005
How to Cite
Gallicano, G. I., Foshay, K., Pengetnze, Y. and Zhou, X. (2005), Dynamics and unexpected localization of the plakin binding protein, kazrin, in mouse eggs and early embryos. Dev. Dyn., 234: 201–214. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20519
- Issue online: 16 AUG 2005
- Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 18 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Received: 24 MAR 2005
- NIH NHLBI. Grant Number: HL70204-01
- 1996. Cadherin-catenin complex: protein interactions and their implications for cadherin function. J Cell Biochem 61: 514–523. , , .
- 2004. Periplakin gene targeting reveals a constituent of the cornified cell envelope dispensable for normal mouse development. Mol Cell Biol 24: 6410–6418. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Murine cardiac progenitor cells require visceral embryonic endoderm and primitive streak for terminal differentiation. Dev Dyn 210: 344–353. , , .
- 1992. Role of the cytoskeleton during early development [review]. Microsc Res Tech 22: 23–48. , , .
- 1998. Extracellular matrix signaling: integration of form and function in normal and malignant cells [review]. Curr Opin Cell Biol 10: 640–646. , .
- 1986. Cytoskeletal reorganization during early mammalian development: analysis using embedment-free sections. Dev Biol 115: 446–458. , .
- 1993. Cytoskeletal sheets of mammalian eggs and embryos: a lattice-like network of intermediate filaments. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 24: 85–99. , , , , .
- 1999. A role for Rho-like GTPases in the polarization of mouse eight-cell blastomeres. Dev Biol 205: 322–331. , , .
- 1988. Calcium and calmodulin-dependent phosphorylation of a 62 kd protein induces microtubule depolymerization in sea urchin mitotic apparatuses. Cell 53: 769–780. , .
- 1975. The preimplantation mammalian embryo: characterization of intercellular junctions and their appearance during development. Dev Biol 45: 231–250. , , , .
- 1991. Desmosome biogenesis in the mouse preimplantation embryo. Development 112: 527–539. , , .
- 2001. Composition, regulation, and function of the cytoskeleton in mammalian eggs and embryos. Front Biosci 6: d1089–d1108. .
- 1995. Remodeling of the specialized intermediate filament network in mammalian eggs and embryos during development: regulation by protein kinase C and protein kinase M. Curr Top Dev Biol 31: 277–320. , .
- 1991. Cytoskeleton of the mouse egg and embryo: reorganization of planar elements. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 18: 143–154. , , .
- 1992. Cytoskeletal sheets appear as universal components of mammalian eggs. J Exp Zool 263: 194–203. , , .
- 1998. Desmoplakin is required early in development for assembly of desmosomes and cytoskeletal linkage. J Cell Biol 143: 2009–2022. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Rescuing desmoplakin function in extra-embryonic ectoderm reveals the importance of this protein in embryonic heart, neuroepithelium, skin and vasculature. Development 128: 929–941. , , .
- 2004. Gap junctions and connexin-interacting proteins. Cardiovasc Res 62: 233–245. .
- 2004. Kazrin, a novel periplakin-interacting protein associated with desmosomes and the keratinocyte plasma membrane. J Cell Biol 166: 653–659. , , , , .
- 2004. Requirement of plakophilin 2 for heart morphogenesis and cardiac junction formation. J Cell Biol 167: 149–160. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Functional characterization of multiple transactivating elements in b-catenin, some o which interact with the TATA-binding protein in vitro. J Biol Chem 271: 18017–18025. , , , .
- 1997. Mitosis-specific phosphorylation of histone H3 initiates primarily within pericentromeric heterochromatin during G2 and spreads in an ordered fashion coincident with mitotic chromosome condensation. Chromosoma 106: 348–360. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Keratinocyte adherens junctions initiate nuclear signaling by translocation of plakoglobin from the membrane to the nucleus. J Invest Dermatol 121: 242–251. , , , .
- 1980. Formation of cytoskeletal elements during mouse embryogenesis. II. Intermediate filaments of the cytokeratin type and desmosomes in preimplantation embryos. Differentiation 17: 161–179. , , , , , .
- 2005. Characterization of human epiplakin: RNAi-mediated epiplakin depletion leads to the disruption of keratin and vimentin IF networks. J Cell Sci 118: 781–793. , , , , .
- 1998. Calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II and calmodulin: regulators of the meiotic spindle in mouse eggs. Dev Biol 204: 464–477. , , , .
- 1992. A 62-kD protein required for mitotic progression is associated with the mitotic apparatus during M-phase and with the nucleus during interphase. J Cell Biol 119: 843–854. , .
- 2000. An epidermal plakin that integrates actin and microtubule networks at cellular junctions. J Cell Biol 149: 195–208. , , .
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during assembly of head bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685. .
- 1989. Distribution and role of microfilaments during early events of sheep fertilization. Gamete Res 22: 411–425. , , , .
- 2002. Plakins: a family of versatile cytolinker proteins [review]. Trends Cell Biol 12: 37–45. , , .
- 1998. Translocation of the zinc finger protein basonuclin from the mouse germ cell nucleus to the midpiece of the spermatozoon during spermiogenesis. Biol Reprod 59: 388–394. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Fertilization stimulates long-lasting oscillations of CaMKII activity in mouse eggs. Dev Biol 272: 15–25. , , .
- 1985. Changes in the distribution of membranous organelles during mouse early development. J Embryol Exp Morphol 90: 287–309. , , , .
- 2002. Scaffold/matrix attachment region elements interact with a p300-scaffold attachment factor A complex and are bound by acetylated nucleosomes. Mol Cell Biol 22: 2598–2606. , , , , .
- 1989. Specialized cytoskeletal elements in mammalian eggs: structural and biochemical evidence for their composition. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 13: 104–111. , .
- 1996. Loss of plectin causes epidermolysis bullosa with muscular dystrophy: cDNA cloning and genomic organization. Genes Dev 10: 1724–1735. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Beta-catenin signaling marks the prospective site of primitive streak formation in the mouse embryo. Dev Dyn 231: 416–424. , , .
- 2003. Manipulating the mouse embryo. 3rd ed. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , , , .
- 2005. Identification of trichoplein, a novel keratin filament-binding protein. J Cell Sci 118: 1081–1090. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Regulation of cell adhesion during embryonic compaction of mammalian embryos: roles for PKC and beta-catenin. Mol Reprod Dev 54: 135–144. , .
- 2003. Sticky business: orchestrating cellular signals at adherens junctions. Cell 112: 535–548. , , .
- 1995. A targeted mutation in the mouse E-cadherin gene results in defective preimplantation development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 855–859. , , .
- 1985. Microtubule configurations during fertilization, mitosis, and early development in the mouse and the requirement for egg microtubule-mediated motility during mammalian fertilization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 82: 4152–4156. , , .
- 1999. Plakophillin 3- a novel cell-type-specific desmosomal plaque protein. Differentiation 64: 291–306. , , , , , .
- 2004. Comparative analysis of armadillo family proteins in the regulation of a431 epithelial cell junction assembly, adhesion and migration. J Invest Dermatol 123: 426–433. , , , , , .
- 1990. Membrane-cytoskeletal interactions in the early mouse embryo [review]. Semin Cell Biol 1: 341–348. Erratum in Semin Cell Biol 1991;2:141. .
- 2003. Lack of plakophilin 1 increases keratinocyte migration and reduces desmosome stability. J Cell Sci 116: 3303–3314. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Nuclear microenvironments support assembly and organization of the transcriptional regulatory machinery for cell proliferation and differentiation. J Cell Biochem 91: 287–302. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Gastrulation in the mouse embryo: ultrastructural and molecular aspects of germ layer morphogenesis [review]. Microsc Res Tech 26: 301–328. , , .
- 1995. Rearrangement of intercellular junctions and cytoskeletal proteins during rabbit myocardium development. Eur J Cell Biol 68: 62–69. , , , , .
- 2001. Desmoplakin is essential in epidermal sheet formation. Nat Cell Biol 3: 1076–1085. , , , , .
- 2005. The signaling network of tumor invasion. Histol Histopathol 20: 593–602. , .
- 2002. F-actin serves as a template for cytokeratime organization in cell free extracts. J Cell Sci 115: 1373–1382. , .
- 2004. A microtubule-binding myosin required for nuclear anchoring and spindle assembly. Nature 431: 325–329. , , , , .
- 1990. The cortical cytoskeleton and its role in sperm penetration of the mammalian egg. Dev Biol 142: 61–74. , .
- 2005. Actin-binding proteins. J Cell Sci 118: 651–654. , .
- 1995. Calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II is activated transiently in ethanol-stimulated mouse oocytes. Dev Biol 170: 350–352. , .
- 1996. An essential cytoskeletal linker protein connecting actin microfilaments to intermediate filaments. Cell 86: 655–665. , , , , , .
- 1997. An unexpected localization of basonuclin in the centrosome, mitochondria, and acrosome of developing spermatids. J Cell Biol 137: 657–669. , , , .
- 1999. Integrators of the cytoskeleton that stabilize microtubules. Cell 98: 229–238. , , , , , .
- 2004. Desmoplakin is required for microvascular tube formation in culture. J Cell Sci 117: 3129–3140. , , , , , .