Xenopus hairy2b specifies anterior prechordal mesoderm identity within Spemann's organizer
Version of Record online: 29 JUL 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 234, Issue 1, pages 102–113, September 2005
How to Cite
Yamaguti, M., Cho, K. W.Y. and Hashimoto, C. (2005), Xenopus hairy2b specifies anterior prechordal mesoderm identity within Spemann's organizer. Dev. Dyn., 234: 102–113. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20523
- Issue online: 16 AUG 2005
- Version of Record online: 29 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 18 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Received: 28 FEB 2005
- 2004. Activin-like signaling activates Notch signaling during mesodermal induction. Int J Dev Biol 48: 327–332. , , , , , .
- 1997. Interaction of goosecoid and brachyury in Xenopus mesoderm patterning. Mech Dev 65: 187–196. , , , , .
- 1999. Role of activin and other peptide growth factors in body patterning in the early amphibian embryo. Int Rev Cytol 191: 1–52. , , , .
- 2000. Coregulation of anterior and posterior mesendodermal development by a hairy-related transcriptional repressor. Genes Dev 14: 1664–1677. , , , , .
- 1998. Anterior patterning in mouse [review]. Trend Genet 14: 277–284. , .
- 1995. Anterior neuroectoderm is progressively induced during gastrulation: the role of the Xenopus homeobox gene orthodenticle. Development 121: 993–1004. , .
- 1996. Cerberus is a head-inducing secreted factor expressed in Spemann's organizer. Nature 382: 595–601. , , , , .
- 1993. The structure and expression of the Xenopus Krox-20 gene: conserved and divergent patterns of expression in rhombomeres and neural crest. Mech Dev 40: 73–84. , , , .
- 2000. Hex is a transcriptional repressor that contributes to anterior identity and suppresses Spemann organizer function. Development 127: 2303–2315. , , , , .
- 2001. Nonradioactive in situ hybridization to xenopus tissue sections. Methods 23: 303–312. , , .
- 1991. Molecular nature of Spemann's organizer: the role of the Xenopus homeobox gene goosecoid. Cell 67: 1111–1120. , , , .
- 1993. Secretion and mesoderm-inducing activity of the TGF-beta-related domain of Xenopus Vg1. EMBO J 12: 4471–4480. , , .
- 1997. Cooperation of BMP7 and SHH in the induction of forebrain ventral midline cells by prechordal mesoderm. Cell 90: 257–269. , , , , , , .
- 1998. The when and where of floor plate induction. Science 282: 1654–1657. , , .
- 2000. Requirement for anti-dorsalizing morphogenetic protein in organizer patterning. Mech Dev 90: 195–203. , .
- 1995. A novel TGF-beta-like gene, fugacin, specifically expressed in the Spemann organizer of Xenopus. Dev Biol 172: 699–703. , , , , .
- 1997. Induction of the primary dorsalizing center in Xenopus by the Wnt/GSK/beta-catenin signaling pathway, but not by Vg1, Activin or Noggin. Development 124: 453–460. , , .
- 1997. The prechordal region lacks neural inducing ability, but can confer anterior character to more posterior neuroepithelium. Development 124: 2983–2996. , , .
- 1995. Embryonic axis induction by the armadillo repeat domain of beta-catenin: evidence for intracellular signaling. Curr Biol 128: 959–968. , , , .
- 1995. Antagonizing the Spemann organizer: role of the homeobox gene Xvent-1. EMBO J 14: 6268–6279. , , , , .
- 1997. Head induction by simultaneous repression of Bmp and Wnt signalling in Xenopus. Nature 389: 517–519. , , , , .
- 1998. Dickkopf-1 is a member of a new family of secreted proteins and functions in head induction. Nature 391: 357–362. , , , , , .
- 1995. b-catenin has Wnt-like activity and mimics the Nieuwkoop signaling center in Xenopus dorsal-ventral patterning. Dev Biol 172: 115–125. , .
- 1991. In situ hybridization: an improved whole-mount method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol 36: 685–695. .
- 1997. Formation and function of Spemann's organizer. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 13: 611–677. , .
- 1995. Disruption of BMP signals in embryonic Xenopus ectoderm leads to direct neural induction. Genes Dev 9: 2923–2935. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Overexpression of cadherins and underexpression of beta-catenin inhibit dorsal mesoderm induction in early Xenopus embryos. Cell 79: 791–803. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Cephalic expression and molecular characterization of Xenopus En-2. Development 111: 715–724. , , , .
- 1994. Follistatin, an antagonist of activin, is expressed in the Spemann organizer and displays direct neuralizing activity. Cell 77: 283–295. , , .
- 1998. The Xenopus dorsalizing factor Gremlin identifies a novel family of secreted proteins that antagonize BMP activities. Mol Cell 1: 673–683. , , , , .
- 1998. Direct binding of follistatin to a complex of bone-morphogenetic protein and its receptor inhibits ventral and epidermal cell fates in early Xenopus embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 9337–9342. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Truncated type 2 receptor for BMP-4 induces secondary axial structures in Xenopus embryos. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 216: 26–33. , , , , .
- 2003. HES and HERP families: multiple effectors of the Notch signaling pathway [review]. J Cell Physiol 194: 237–255. , , ,
- 1995. Nodal-related signals induce axial mesoderm and dorsalize mesoderm during gastrulation. Development 121: 3651–3662. , , , , .
- 1999. Follistatin possesses trunk and tail organizer activity and lacks head organizer activity. Tissue Cell 31: 28–33. .
- 2001. The role of prechordal mesendoderm in neural patterning [review]. Curr Opin Neurobiol 11: 27–33. , .
- 1997. The Xenopus Brachyury promoter is activated by FGF and low concentrations of activin and suppressed by high concentrations of activin and by paired-type homeodomain proteins. Genes Dev 11: 3265–3276. , , , , , .
- 1997. The Xenopus homeobox gene Twin mediates Wnt induction of Goosecoid in establishment of Spemann's organizer. Development 124: 4905–4916. , , , , .
- 1997. Frzb-1 is a secreted antagonist of Wnt signaling expressed in the Spemann organizer. Cell 88: 747–756. , , , , .
- 2005. The Notch-target gene hairy2a impedes the involution of notochordal cells by promoting floor plate fates in Xenopus embryos. Development 132: 1035–1046. , , , , .
- 1995. Anti-dorsalizing morphogenetic protein is a novel TGF-beta homolog expressed in the Spemann organizer. Development 121: 4293–4301. , , .
- 1990. Activin-binding protein from rat ovary is follistatin. Science 247: 836–838. , , , , , .
- 1997. The XHex homeobox gene is expressed during development of the vascular endothelium: overexpression leads to an increase in vascular endothelial cell number. Mech Dev 66: 83–93. , , .
- 2004. Regionally specific induction by the Spemann-Mangold organizer [review]. Nat Rev Genet 5: 425–434. .
- 1967. Normal table of Xenopus laevis. Amsterdam: North-Holland Biomedical Press. , .
- 1996. The Xvent-2 homeobox gene is part of the BMP-4 signalling pathway controlling dorsoventral patterning of Xenopus mesoderm. Development 122: 3045–3053. , , , , , , .
- 1999. The head inducer Cerberus is a multifunctional antagonist of Nodal, BMP and Wnt signals. Nature 397: 707–710. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Xenopus chordin: a novel dorsalizing factor activated by organizer-specific homeobox genes. Cell 79: 779–790. , , , , , .
- 2000. Xenopus crescent encoding a Frizzled-like domain is expressed in the Spemann organizer and pronephros. Mech Dev 96: 243–246. , , , , .
- 2000. Developmental expression of the Xenopus Nkx2–1 and Nkx2–4 genes. Mech Dev 96: 259–262. , , , , .
- 1992. Expression cloning of noggin, a new dorsalizing factor localized to the Spemann organizer in Xenopus embryos. Cell 70: 829–840. , .
- 1991. Expression of a Xenopus homolog of Brachyury (T) is an immediate-early response to mesoderm induction. Cell 67: 79–87. , , , , .
- 1995. A nodal-related gene defines a physical and functional domain within the Spemann organizer. Cell 82: 37–46. , , , .
- 1990. A mouse macrophage factor induces head structures and organizes a body axis in Xenopus. Science 249: 561–564. , , .
- 1992. The LIM domain-containing homeo box gene Xlim-1 is expressed specifically in the organizer region of Xenopus gastrula embryos. Genes Dev 6: 356–366. , , , .
- 1993. Processed Vg1 protein is an axial mesoderm inducer in Xenopus. Cell 74: 433–441. , .
- 1990. Activins are expressed early in Xenopus embryogenesis and can induce axial mesoderm and anterior structures. Cell 63: 485–493. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression pattern of a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor Xhairy2b during Xenopus laevis development. Dev Genes Evol 213: 407–411. , , .
- 2000. Development of chick axial mesoderm: specification of prechordal mesoderm by anterior endoderm-derived TGFbeta family signalling. Development 127: 2795–2809. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Induction of the Xenopus organizer: expression and regulation of Xnot, a novel FGF and activin-regulated homeo box gene. Genes Dev 7: 355–366. , , .
- 1997. Frzb, a secreted protein expressed in the Spemann organizer, binds and inhibits Wnt-8. Cell 88: 757–766. , , , , .
- 1997. The Spemann organizer of Xenopus is patterned along its anteroposterior axis at the earliest gastrula stage. Dev Biol 192: 482–491. , .