Patterns & Phenotypes
MCT-4, A511/basigin and EF5 expression patterns during early chick cardiomyogenesis indicate cardiac cell differentiation occurs in a hypoxic environment
Version of Record online: 18 AUG 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 1, pages 124–131, January 2006
How to Cite
Han, M., Trotta, P., Coleman, C. and Linask, K. K. (2006), MCT-4, A511/basigin and EF5 expression patterns during early chick cardiomyogenesis indicate cardiac cell differentiation occurs in a hypoxic environment. Dev. Dyn., 235: 124–131. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20531
- Issue online: 7 DEC 2005
- Version of Record online: 18 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 26 MAY 2005
- NHLBI. Grant Number: HL067306
- Suncoast AHA. Grant Number: G61963
- 1999. Heart rate responses to altered ambient oxygen in early (days 3-9) chick embryos in the intact egg. J Comp Physiol [B] 169: 85–92. , , , .
- 2000. Lack of physiological plasticity in the early chicken embryo exposed to acute hypoxia. J Exp Zool 286: 450–456. , .
- 2001. The expression of lactate transporters (MCT1 and MCT4) in heart and muscle. Eur J Appl Physiol 86: 6–11. .
- 2003. Placental extracellular matrix: Gene expression, deposition by placental fibroblasts and the effect of oxygen. Placenta 24: 316–325. , .
- 1990. Dissection and culture of postimplantation embryos. In: CoppA, CockroftD, editors. Postimplantation mammalian embryos. New York: IRL Press. p 15–40. .
- 2001. A novel role for VEGF in endocardial cushion formation and its potential contribution to congenital heart defects. Development 128: 1531–1538. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Molecular features, regulation, and function of monocarboxylate transporters: implications for drug delivery. J Pharm Sci 92: 1531–1544. , .
- 2003. Early expression of hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha in the chicken embryo. Gene Expr Patterns 3: 49–52. .
- 1998. Embigin/basigin subgroup of the immunoglobulin superfamily: different modes of expression during mouse embryogenesis and correlated expression with carohydrate antigenic markers. Dev Growth Differ 40: 277–286. , , , .
- 2004. The SLC16 gene family: from monocarboxylate transporters (MCTs) to aromatic amino acid transporters and beyond. Pflugers Archiv-Eur J Physiol 417: 619–628. , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2001. Tissue-specific and isoform-specific changes in MCT1 and MCT4 in heart and soleus muscle during a 1-yr period. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 281: E749–756. , , , , , .
- 2004. 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin reduces myocardial hypoxia and vascular endothelial growth factor expression during chick embryo development. Birth Defects Res Part A Clin Mol Teratol 70: 51–58. , , .
- 1998. Cellular and developmental control of 2 homeostasis by hypoxia-inducible factor 1 alpha. Genes Dev 12: 149–162. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The human first trimester gestational sac limits rather than facilitates oxygen transfer to the foetus: a review. Placenta 24(Suppl A): S86–93. , , .
- 2000. CD147 is tightly associated with lactate transporters MCT1 and MCT4 and facilitates their cell surface expression. EMBO J 19: 3896–3904. , , , , , .
- 2003. Non-invasive PET and SPECT imaging of tissue hypoxia using isotopically labeled 2-nitroimidazoles. Adv Exp Med Biol 510: 285–292. , .
- 1999. Defective vascularization of HIF-1alpha-null embryos is not associated with VEGF deficiency but with mesenchymal cell death. Dev Biol 209: 254–267. , , , .
- 1992. N-cadherin localization in early heart development and polar expression of Na, K-ATPase, and integrin during pericardial coelom formation and epithelialization of the differentiating myocardium. Dev Biol 151: 213–224. .
- 2003. Regulation of heart morphology: current molecular and cellular perspectives on the coordinated emergence of cardiac form and function. Birth Defects Res C 69: 14–24. .
- 2000. Application of plastic embedding for sectioning whole-mount immunostained early vertebrate embryos. In: TuanRS, LoCW, editors. Developmental biology protocols. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. p 165–173. , .
- 1997. N-cadherin-catenin interaction: necessary component of cardiac cell compartmentalization during early vertebrate heart development. Dev Biol 185: 148–164. , , .
- 2001. Sodium-calcium exchanger (NCX-1) and calcium modulation. NCX protein expression patterns and regulation of early heart development. Dev Dyn 221: 249–264. , , , .
- 1993. Detection of hypoxic cells by monoclonal antibody recognizing 2-nitroimidazole adducts. Cancer Res 53: 5271–5276. , , .
- 2003. In vivo colocalization of 2-nitroimidazole EF5 fluorescence intensity and electron paramagnetic resonance oximetry in mouse tumors. Radiother Oncol 67: 53–61. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Cell biology. How cells endure low oxygen. Science 303: 1454–1456. .
- 2003. Loss of MCT1, MCT3, and MCT4 expression in the retinal pigment epithelium and neural retina of the 5A11/basigin-null mouse. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44: 1305–1311. , , , , .
- 1992. Contractile proteins and sacroplasmic reticulum calcium-ATPase gene expression in the hypertrophied and failing heart. Basic Res Cardiol 87: 285–290. , , , , .
- 2002. Developmental changes in cardiac recovery from anoxia-reoxygenation. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 283: R379–388. , , .
- 2001a. Hypoxia-inducible factor 1: control of oxygen homeostasis in health and disease. Pediatr Res 49: 614–617. .
- 2001b. Hypoxia-inducible factor 1: oxygen homeostasis and disease pathophysiology. Trends Mol Med 7: 345–350. .
- 2004. Role of myocardial hypoxia in the remodeling of the embryonic avian cardiac outflow tract. Dev Biol 267: 294–308. , , .
- 2005. Cited2 is required both for heart morphogenesis and establishment of the left-right axis in mouse development. Development 132: 1337–1348. , , , , , , , .