Muriel Castaing and Bertrand Duvillié contributed equally to this work.
Ex vivo analysis of acinar and endocrine cell development in the human embryonic pancreas
Article first published online: 29 AUG 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 234, Issue 2, pages 339–345, October 2005
How to Cite
Castaing, M., Duvillié, B., Quemeneur, E., Basmaciogullari, A. and Scharfmann, R. (2005), Ex vivo analysis of acinar and endocrine cell development in the human embryonic pancreas. Dev. Dyn., 234: 339–345. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20547
- Issue published online: 16 SEP 2005
- Article first published online: 29 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 29 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 7 APR 2005
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF Center for beta-cell therapy in Europe)
- Fondation pour la Recherche Médicale, Association Française des Diabétiques
- 1998. beta-cell-specific inactivation of the mouse Ipf1/Pdx1 gene results in loss of the beta-cell phenotype and maturity onset diabetes. Genes Dev 12: 1763–1768. , , , , .
- 2001. Fgf10 is essential for maintaining the proliferative capacity of epithelial progenitor cells during early pancreatic organogenesis. Development 128: 5109–5117. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Extra-insular beta cells associated with ductules are frequent in adult human pancreas. Diabetologia 41: 629–633. , .
- 1997. Proliferation and differentiation in the human fetal endocrine pancreas. Diabetologia 40: 398–404. , , .
- 2001. Blood glucose normalization upon transplantation of human embryonic pancreas into beta-cell-deficient SCID mice. Diabetologia 44: 2066–2076. , , , , , .
- 1992. The midgestational human fetal pancreas contains cells coexpressing islet hormones. Dev Biol 153: 368–375. , , , , , .
- 2004. Adult pancreatic beta-cells are formed by self-duplication rather than stem-cell differentiation. Nature 429: 41–46. , , , .
- 2003. Label-retaining cells in the rat pancreas: location and differentiation potential in vitro. Diabetes 52: 2035–2042. , , , , .
- 1995. Dynamics of β-cell mass in the growing rat pancreas: estimation with a simple mathematical program. Diabetes 44: 249–256. , , .
- 1984. Cell cycle analysis of a cell proliferation-associated human nuclear antigen defined by the monoclonal antibody Ki-67. J Immunol 133: 1710–1715. , , , , , .
- 2000. neurogenin3 is required for the development of the four endocrine cell lineages of the pancreas. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 1607–1611. , , , .
- 2002. Direct evidence for the pancreatic lineage: NGN3+ cells are islet progenitors and are distinct from duct progenitors. Development 129: 2447–2457. , , .
- 1999. Defective mutations in the insulin promoter factor-1 (IPF-1) gene in late-onset type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Clin Invest 104: R41–48. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Adult human pancreatic duct and islet cells exhibit similarities in expression and differences in phosphorylation and complex formation of the homeodomain protein Ipf-1. Diabetes 49: 571–579. , , , , , .
- 2000. Adult insulin- and glucagon-producing cells differentiate from two independent cell lineages. Development 127: 2317–2322. .
- 2001. The existence of a second vesicular glutamate transporter specifies subpopulations of glutamatergic neurons. J Neurosci 21: RC181. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Independent development of pancreatic alpha- and beta-cells from neurogenin3-expressing precursors: a role for the notch pathway in repression of premature differentiation. Diabetes 49: 163–176. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Intercellular signals regulating pancreas development and function. Genes Dev 15: 111–127. , .
- 2003. Role of endothelial cells in early pancreas and liver development. Mech Dev 120: 59–64. , , .
- 1996. PDX-1 is required for pancreatic outgrowth and differentiation of the rostral duodenum. Development 122: 983–995. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. IPF1, a homeodomain-containing transactivator of the insulin gene. Embo J 12: 4251–4259. , , .
- 1972. Development of the embryonic pancreas. In: SteinerDF, FreiskelN, editors. Handbook of physiology. Washington: The Williams & Wilkins Co., Baltimore. P 25–66. , .
- 2000. Early pattern of differentiation in the human pancreas. Diabetes 49: 225–232. , , , .
- 2000. Control of early development of the pancreas in rodents and humans: implications of signals from the mesenchyme. Diabetologia 43: 1083–1092. .
- 1983. A quantitative immunofluorescent study of the endocrine cell populations in the developing human pancreas. Diabetes 32: 293–301. , , , .
- 1997. Pancreatic agenesis attributable to a single nucleotide deletion in the human IPF1 gene coding sequence. Nat Genet 15: 106–110. , , , , .
- 1987. Demonstration of expanding cell populations in mouse pancreatic acini and islets. Anat Rec 218: 111–115. , , .
- 2003. Gene expression cascades in pancreatic development. Mech Dev 120: 65–80. , , .