Smaller inner ear sensory epithelia in Neurog1 null mice are related to earlier hair cell cycle exit
Article first published online: 6 SEP 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Developmental Neurobiology Special Issue
Volume 234, Issue 3, pages 633–650, November 2005
How to Cite
Matei, V., Pauley, S., Kaing, S., Rowitch, D., Beisel, K.W., Morris, K., Feng, F., Jones, K., Lee, J. and Fritzsch, B. (2005), Smaller inner ear sensory epithelia in Neurog1 null mice are related to earlier hair cell cycle exit. Dev. Dyn., 234: 633–650. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20551
- Issue published online: 18 OCT 2005
- Article first published online: 6 SEP 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 24 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 28 FEB 2005
- NIH. Grant Numbers: RO1 DC005590, R01 DC04279, 1 C06 RR17417-01
- 1998. Cell fate choices and the expression of Notch, Delta and Serrate homologues in the chick inner ear: parallels with Drosophila sense-organ development. Development 125: 4645–4654. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Requirement of multiple basic helix-loop-helix genes for retinal neuronal subtype specification. J Biol Chem 279: 28492–28498. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. A mammalian helix-loop-helix factor structurally related to the product of Drosophila proneural gene atonal is a positive transcriptional regulator expressed in the developing nervous system. J Biol Chem 270: 8730–8738. , , , , .
- 2005. Mathematical modeling of planar cell polarity to understand domineering nonautonomy. Science 307: 423–426. , , , , , .
- 1997. Cell lineage determination and the control of neuronal identity in the neural crest. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 62: 493–504. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Longitudinal gradients of KCNQ4 expression in spiral ganglion and cochlear hair cells correlate with progressive hearing loss in DFNA2. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 82: 137–149. , , , .
- 1997. Math1 is essential for genesis of cerebellar granule neurons. Nature 390: 169–172. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Functional conservation of atonal and Math1 in the CNS and PNS. Development 127: 1039–1048. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Math1: an essential gene for the generation of inner ear hair cells. Science 284: 1837–1841. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Proprioceptor pathway development is dependent on Math1. Neuron 30: 411–422. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Proneural genes and the specification of neural cell types. Nat Rev Neurosci 3: 517–530. , , .
- 2003. An inhibition of cyclin-dependent kinases that lengthens, but does not arrest, neuroepithelial cell cycle induces premature neurogenesis. J Cell Sci 116: 4947–4955. , .
- 2002. The role of Math1 in inner ear development: Uncoupling the establishment of the sensory primordium from hair cell fate determination. Development 129: 2495–2505. , , , .
- 2005. Two contrasting roles for Notch activity in chick inner ear development: specification of prosensory patches and lateral inhibition of hair-cell differentiation. Development 132: 541–551. , .
- 2001. Spatial shaping of cochlear innervation by temporally regulated neurotrophin expression. J Neurosci 21: 6170–6180. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Molecular conservation and novelties in vertebrate ear development. Curr Top Dev Biol 57: 1–44. , .
- 2004. Keeping sensory cells and evolving neurons to connect them to the brain: molecular conservation and novelties in vertebrate ear development. Brain Behav Evol 64: 182–197. , .
- 1997. Lack of neurotrophin 3 causes losses of both classes of spiral ganglion neurons in the cochlea in a region-specific fashion. J Neurosci 17: 6213–6225. , , .
- 2000. Developmental evolutionary biology of the vertebrate ear: conserving mechanoelectric transduction and developmental pathways in diverging morphologies. Neuroreport 11: R35–44. , , .
- 2002. Development and evolution of inner ear sensory epithelia and their innervation. J Neurobiol 53: 143–156. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Neurotrophins in the ear: their roles in sensory neuron survival and fiber guidance. Prog Brain Res 146: 265–278. , , , .
- 2005a. Atoh1 null mice show directed afferent fiber growth to undifferentiated ear sensory epithelia followed by incomplete fiber retention. Dev Dyn 233: 570–583. , , , , , , .
- 2005b. Ancestry of photic and mechanic sensation? Science 308: 1113–1114. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Visualizing the needle in the haystack: in situ hybridization with fluorescent dendrimers. Biol Proceed Online 6: 149–156. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Crossinhibitory activities of Ngn1 and Math1 allow specification of distinct dorsal interneurons. Neuron 31: 219–232. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Neuropilin-1 conveys semaphorin and VEGF signaling during neural and cardiovascular development. Dev Cell 5: 45–57. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Brain factor-1 controls the proliferation and differentiation of neocortical progenitor cells through independent mechanisms. J Neurosci 22: 6526–6536. , , , .
- 2004. Foxg1 suppresses early cortical cell fate. Science 303: 56–59. , , , , .
- 2004. Cranial sensory neuron development in the absence of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in BDNF/Bax double null mice. Dev Biol 275: 34–43. , , , .
- 2003. Neurotrophins facilitate neuronal differentiation of cultured neural stem cells via induction of mRNA expression of basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors Mash1 and Math1. J Neurosci Res 71: 648–658. , , , .
- 2005. Auditory hair cell replacement and hearing improvement by Atoh1 gene therapy in deaf mammals. Nat Med 11: 271–276. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Targeted disruption of the BDNF gene perturbs brain and sensory neuron development but not motor neuron development. Cell 76: 989–999. , , , .
- 2005. Sox2 is required for sensory organ development in the mammalian inner ear. Nature 434: 1031–1035. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. GDF11 Controls the timing of progenitor cell competence in developing retina. Science 308: 1927–1930. , , , , , .
- 2001. NeuroD-null mice are deaf due to a severe loss of the inner ear sensory neurons during development. Development 128: 417–426. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of Math1 and HES5 in the cochleae of wildtype and Jag2 mutant mice. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 1: 161–171. , , , , .
- 2005. Essential role of TRPC channels in the guidance of nerve growth cones by brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Nature 434: 894–898. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Essential role of BETA2/NeuroD1 in development of the vestibular and auditory systems. Genes Dev 14: 2839–2854. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Math1-driven GFP expression in the developing nervous system of transgenic mice. Gene Expr Patterns 3: 389–395. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. neurogenin1 is essential for the determination of neuronal precursors for proximal cranial sensory ganglia. Neuron 20: 469–482. , , , , .
- 1999. Neurogenin1 and neurogenin2 control two distinct waves of neurogenesis in developing dorsal root ganglia. Genes Dev 13: 1717–1728. , , , .
- 2000. Neurogenin 1 null mutant ears develop fewer, morphologically normal hair cells in smaller sensory epithelia devoid of innervation. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 1: 129–143. , , .
- 1999. Incomplete segregation of endorgan-specific vestibular ganglion cells in mice and rats. J Vestib Res 9: 387–399. , .
- 2005. Two photon laser illuminations photoactivates the fluorescence absorbing X-Gal reaction product to produce a fluorescent signal with superior visibility and stability. Brain Res Bull (in press). , , , , , .
- 2003. Identification of Vangl2 and Scrb1 as planar polarity genes in mammals. Nature 423: 173–177. , , , , , .
- 2004. Generation of Pax2-Cre mice by modification of a Pax2 bacterial artificial chromosome. Genesis 38: 195–199. , .
- 2004. Expression of Islet1 marks the sensory and neuronal lineages in the mammalian inner ear. J Comp Neurol 477: 412–421. , , , , , .
- 2005. Regeneration of human auditory nerve. In vitro/in video demonstration of neural progenitor cells in adult human and guinea pig spiral ganglion. Hear Res 203: 180–191. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. AUDITORY SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT: Primary Auditory Neurons and Their Targets. Annu Rev Neurosci 25: 51–101. , .
- 1967. Development of the inner ear of the mouse: a radioautographic study of terminal mitoses. Acta Otolaryngol: Suppl 220: 221–244. .
- 1992. The auditory nerve; peripheral innervation, cell body morphology, and central projections. In: Webster DB, Popper AN, Fay RR, editors. The mammalian auditory pathway: neuroanatomy. New York: Springer-Verlag. p 23–65. .
- 2005. Clonal analysis of the relationships between mechansosensory cells and the neurons that innervate them in the chicken ear. Development 132: 1687–1697. , .
- 2004. Developmental and evolutionary aspects of the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors Atonal-like 1 and Achaete-scute homolog 2 in the jellyfish. Dev Biol 269: 331–345. , , .
- 2004. NT-3 replacement with brain-derived neurotrophic factor redirects vestibular nerve fibers to the cochlea. J Neurosci 24: 2575–2584. , , .
- 1989. The house mouse. New York: Springer-Verlag. 178 p. .
- 2005. Requirement of TRPC channels in netrin-1-induced chemotropic turning of nerve growth cones. Nature 434: 898–904. , .
- 2002. Drosophila atonal fully rescues the phenotype of Math1 null mice: new functions evolve in new cellular contexts. Curr Biol 12: 1611–1616. , , , .
- 2004. Math1 regulates development of the sensory epithelium in the mammalian cochlea. Nat Neurosci 7: 1310–1318. , , .
- 2003. Autoregulation of neurogenesis by GDF11. Neuron 37: 197–207. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Brn3c null mutant mice show long-term, incomplete retention of some afferent inner ear innervation. BMC Neurosci 4: 2. , , , .
- 2001. Requirement of Math1 for secretory cell lineage commitment in the mouse intestine. Science 294: 2155–2158. , , , .
- 2001. Hes1 and Hes5 activities are required for the normal development of the hair cells in the mammalian inner ear. J Neurosci 21: 4712–4720. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Eya1 and Six1 are essential for early steps of sensory neurogenesis in mammalian cranial placodes. Development 131: 5561–5572. , , , .