Yasuko Onuma and Shuji Takahashi contributed equally to this work.
Xnr2 and Xnr5 unprocessed proteins inhibit Wnt signaling upstream of dishevelled
Article first published online: 28 SEP 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 234, Issue 4, pages 900–910, December 2005
How to Cite
Onuma, Y., Takahashi, S., Haramoto, Y., Tanegashima, K., Yokota, C., Whitman, M. and Asashima, M. (2005), Xnr2 and Xnr5 unprocessed proteins inhibit Wnt signaling upstream of dishevelled. Dev. Dyn., 234: 900–910. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20574
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2005
- Article first published online: 28 SEP 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 16 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Received: 21 NOV 2004
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan
- International Cooperative Research Project (ICORP)
- Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- 2000. Endodermal Nodal-related signals and mesoderm induction in Xenopus. Development 127: 1173–1183. , , , , .
- 2002. Extraembryonic proteases regulate Nodal signalling during gastrulation. Nat Cell Biol 4: 981–985. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Atlas of Xenopus development. Milan: Springer. , , , .
- 2005. XPACE4 is a localized pro-protein convertase required for mesoderm induction and the cleavage of specific TGFbeta proteins in Xenopus development. Development 132: 591–602. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Cerberus is a head-inducing secreted factor expressed in the anterior endoderm of Spemann's organizer. Nature 382: 595–601. , , , , .
- 1996. Activation of Siamois by the Wnt pathway. Dev Biol 180: 344–347. , .
- 1991. Xwnt-8, a Xenopus Wnt-1/int-1-related gene responsive to mesoderm- inducing growth factors, may play a role in ventral mesodermal patterning during embryogenesis. Development 111: 1045–1055. , , , .
- 2002. Effects of heterodimerization and proteolytic processing on Derriere and Nodal activity: implications for mesoderm induction in Xenopus. Development 129: 3089–3103. , .
- 1991. Biochemical fractionation of oocytes. Methods Cell Biol 36: 133–48. , .
- 1998. Dickkopf-1 is a member of a new family of secreted proteins and functions in head induction. Nature 391: 357–362. , , , , , .
- 1997. Direct neural induction and selective inhibition of mesoderm and epidermis inducers by Xnr3. Development 124: 483–492. , , , , .
- 2004. Xenopus tropicalis nodal-related gene 3 regulates BMP signaling: an essential role for the pro-region. Dev Biol 265: 155–168. , , , , , .
- 1991. In situ hybridization: an improved whole-mount method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol 36: 685–695. .
- 2003. Nodal signaling in Xenopus gastrulae is cell-autonomous and patterned by beta-catenin. Dev Biol 253: 125–138. , , .
- 1995. Disruption of BMP signals in embryonic Xenopus ectoderm leads to direct neural induction. Genes Dev 9: 2923–2935. , , , , , , .
- 2004. LDL receptor-related proteins 5 and 6 in Wnt/b-catenin signaling: Arrows point the way. Development 131: 1663–1677. , , , .
- 2001. TGF-beta signalling pathways in early Xenopus development. Curr Opin Genet Dev 11: 533–540. .
- 2000. The role of Xenopus dickkopf1 in prechordal plate specification and neural patterning. Development 127: 4981–4992. , , .
- 2002. Function of cytokines within the TGF-b superfamily as determined from transgenic and gene knockout studies in mice. Curr Mol Med 2: 303–327. , , .
- 1997. Establishment of the dorso-ventral axis in Xenopus embryos is presaged by early asymmetries in beta-catenin that are modulated by the Wnt signaling pathway. J Cell Biol 136: 1123–1136. , , , , , , , .
- 1956. Normal table of Xenopus laevis (Daudin). Amsterdam: North-Holland. , .
- 1998. Ventral mesoderm induction and patterning by bone morphogenetic protein heterodimers in Xenopus embryos. Mech Dev 74: 75–88. , .
- 1992. Genes for bone morphogenetic proteins are differentially transcribed in early amphibian embryos. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 186: 1487–1495. , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular cloning of a novel Xenopus spalt gene (Xsal-3). Biochem Biophys Res Commun 264: 151–156. , , , , .
- 2002. Multiple nodal-related genes act coordinately in Xenopus embryogenesis. Dev Biol 241: 94–105. , , , .
- 1999. Xenopus nodal-related signaling is essential for mesendodermal patterning during early embryogenesis. Development 126: 3229–3240. , .
- 2000. Dishevelled phosphorylation, subcellular localization and multimerization regulate its role in early embryogenesis. EMBO J 19: 1010–1022. , , , , , .
- 1994. Xenopus chordin: a novel dorsalizing factor activated by organizer-specific homeobox genes. Cell 79: 779–790. , , , , , .
- 2003. Nodal signaling in vertebrate development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 19: 589–621. .
- 1996. Beta-catenin translocation into nuclei demarcates the dorsalizing centers in frog and fish embryos. Mech Dev 57: 191–198. , , , .
- 2003. Mechanisms of TGF-β Signaling from cell membrane to the nucleus. Cell 113: 685–700. , .
- 1989. Progressive determination during formation of the anteroposterior axis in Xenopus laevis. Cell 58: 171–180. , , .
- 2000. Early development of Xenopus laevis: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , , .
- 1991. Injected Xwnt-8 RNA acts early in Xenopus embryos to promote formation of a vegetal dorsalizing center. Cell 67: 753–765. , .
- 1995. A nodal-related gene defines a physical and functional domain within the Spemann organizer. Cell 82: 37–46. , , , .
- 1991. Injected Wnt RNA induces a complete body axis in Xenopus embryos. Cell 67: 741–752. , , , .
- 1999. derriere: a TGF-beta family member required for posterior development in Xenopus. Development 126: 1467–1482. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Isolation and characterization of a mouse homolog of the Drosophila segment polarity gene dishevelled. Dev Biol 166: 73–86. , , , , , .
- 1997. Xenopus msx1 mediates epidermal induction and neural inhibition by BMP4. Development 124: 3037–3044. , , .
- 1998. Cloning and expression pattern of Xenopus prx-1 (Xprx-1) during embryonic development. Dev Growth Differ 40: 97–104. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Two novel nodal-related genes initiate early inductive events in Xenopus Nieuwkoop center. Development 127: 5319–5329. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Maternal wnt11 activates the canonical wnt signaling pathway required for axis formation in Xenopus embryos. Cell 120: 857–871. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Nodal signaling in early vertebrate embryos: themes and variations. Dev Cell 1: 605–617. .
- 1998. Mechanisms of Wnt signaling in development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 14: 59–88. , .
- 2001. Maternal VegT is the initiator of a molecular network specifying endoderm in Xenopus laevis. Development 128: 167–180. , , , .
- 2001. Nodal signals to Smads through Cripto-dependent and Cripto-independent mechanisms. Mol Cell 7: 949–957. , .
- 1998. GBP, an inhibitor of GSK-3, is implicated in Xenopus development and oncogenesis. Cell 93: 1031–1041. , , , , , .