An in vitro model for characterizing the post-migratory cranial neural crest cells of the first branchial arch
Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Craniofacial Development Special Issue
Volume 235, Issue 5, pages 1433–1440, May 2006
How to Cite
Zhao, H., Bringas, P. and Chai, Y. (2006), An in vitro model for characterizing the post-migratory cranial neural crest cells of the first branchial arch. Dev. Dyn., 235: 1433–1440. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20588
- Issue online: 19 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 AUG 2005
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
- NIH. Grant Numbers: DE012711, DE014078
- March of Dimes. Grant Number: 6-FY02-137
- 1998. Neural crest cell contribution to the developing circulatory system: implications for vascular morphology? Circ Res 82: 221–231. , , , , .
- 2001. Bone marrow stromal stem cells: nature, biology, and potential applications. Stem Cells 19: 180–192. , , , .
- 1991. Expression of calponin in rabbit and human aortic smooth muscle cells. Cell Tissue Res 266: 579–584. , , , .
- 1988. Cell lineage analysis reveals multipotency of some avian neural crest cells. Nature 335: 161–164. , .
- 1989. Developmental potential of avian trunk neural crest cells in situ. Neuron 3: 755–766. , .
- 2000. Fate of the mammalian cranial neural crest during tooth and mandibular morphogenesis. Development 127: 1671–1679. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Interactions between Hox-negative cephalic neural crest cells and the foregut endoderm in patterning the facial skeleton in the vertebrate head. Development 129: 1061–73. , , , , .
- 1991. Migrating neural crest cells in the trunk of the avian embryo are multipotent. Development 112: 913–920. , .
- 1993. Even-numbered rhombomeres control the apoptotic elimination of neural crest cells from odd-numbered rhombomeres in the chick hindbrain. Development 119: 233–245. , , .
- 1989. Immunohistochemistry of neuron-specific and glia-specific proteins. Arch Histol Cytol 52(Suppl): 13–24. , , .
- 2000. Fate of the mammalian cardiac neural crest. Development 127: 1607–1616. , , , , .
- 1997. Neuroepithelial stem cells from the embryonic spinal cord: isolation, characterization, and clonal analysis. Dev Biol 186: 202–223. , , .
- 2002. Expression of smooth muscle actin in osteoblasts in human bone. J Orthop Res 20: 622–632. , .
- 1998. Neural crest cell dynamics revealed by time-lapse video microscopy of whole embryo chick explant cultures. Dev Biol 204: 327–344. , .
- 1999. Molecular mechanisms of neural crest formation. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 15: 81–112. , .
- 2003. Multipotentiality of the neural crest. Curr Opin Genet Dev 13: 529–536. , .
- 2004. Neural crest cell plasticity and its limits. Development 131: 4637–4650. , , , .
- 1995. Postmigratory neural crest cells expressing c-RET display restricted developmental and proliferative capacities. Neuron 15: 527–539. , .
- 1997. MASH1 maintains competence for BMP2-induced neuronal differentiation in post-migratory neural crest cells. Curr Biol 7: 440–450. , , .
- 2004. Calcineurin initiates smooth muscle differentiation in neural crest stem cells. J Cell Biol 165: 483–491. , , , , .
- 1999. Prospective identification, isolation by flow cytometry, and in vivo self-renewal of multipotent mammalian neural crest stem cells. Cell 96: 737–749. , , , .
- 1996. Alternative neural crest cell fates are instructively promoted by TGFbeta superfamily members. Cell 85: 331–343. , , .
- 1985. In vitro proliferation and terminal differentiation of quail neural crest cells in a defined culture medium. Exp Cell Res 158: 267–272. , .
- 1993. Distribution of pluripotent neural crest cells in the embryo and the role of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the commitment to the primary sensory neuron lineage. J Neurobiol 24: 173–184. , , , , .
- 1990. The avian neural crest as a model system for the study of cell lineages. Int J Dev Biol 34: 157–162. .
- 1992. Isolation of a stem cell for neurons and glia from the mammalian neural crest. Cell 71: 973–985. , .
- 1996. Smooth muscle lineage diversity in the chick embryo. Two types of aortic smooth muscle cell differ in growth and receptor-mediated transcriptional responses to transforming growth factor-beta. Dev Biol 178: 430–445. , .
- 2002. Signalling between the hindbrain and paraxial tissues dictates neural crest migration pathways. Development 129: 433–442. , , , .