Patterns & Phenotypes
Notch1 signals through Jagged2 to regulate apoptosis in the apical ectodermal ridge of the developing limb bud
Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 234, Issue 4, pages 1006–1015, December 2005
How to Cite
Francis, J. C., Radtke, F. and Logan, M. P.O. (2005), Notch1 signals through Jagged2 to regulate apoptosis in the apical ectodermal ridge of the developing limb bud. Dev. Dyn., 234: 1006–1015. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20590
- Issue online: 16 NOV 2005
- Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 26 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Received: 10 MAY 2005
- Medical Research Council
- 2001. BMPR-IA signaling is required for the formation of the apical ectodermal ridge and dorsal-ventral patterning of the limb. Development 128: 4449–4461. , , , , .
- 2002. The transcription factor Sox9 has essential roles in successive steps of the chondrocyte differentiation pathway and is required for expression of Sox5 and Sox6. Genes Dev 16: 2813–2828. , , , , .
- 1998. Antagonistic effects of FGF4 on BMP induction of apoptosis and chondrogenesis in the chick limb bud. Mech Dev 71: 143–150. , , , , .
- 2003. Control of skeletal patterning by ephrinB1-EphB interactions. Dev Cell 5: 217–230. , , , .
- 1995. The mouse Fgf8 gene encodes a family of polypeptides and is expressed in regions that direct outgrowth and patterning in the developing embryo. Development 121: 439–451. , .
- 1997. Feed-back mechanisms affecting Notch activation at the dorsoventral boundary in the Drosophila wing. Development 124: 3241–3251. , .
- 2000. Delta 1-activated notch inhibits muscle differentiation without affecting Myf5 and Pax3 expression in chick limb myogenesis. Development 127: 5213–5224. , , , .
- 1997. Overlapping expression domains of bone morphogenetic protein family members potentially account for limited tissue defects in BMP7 deficient embryos. Dev Dyn 208: 349–362. , .
- 1996. Hoxa-13 and Hoxd-13 play a crucial role in the patterning of the limb autopod. Development 122: 2997–3011. , , , , , .
- 1996. Role of TGF beta s and BMPs as signals controlling the position of the digits and the areas of interdigital cell death in the developing chick limb autopod. Development 122: 2349–2357. , , , , .
- 1998. Morphological diversity of the avian foot is related with the pattern of msx gene expression in the developing autopod. Dev Biol 196: 33–41. , , , , .
- 2003. The distribution of Notch receptors and their ligands during articular cartilage development. J Anat 202: 495–502. , , , .
- 1994. Manipulating the mouse embryo. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Press. , , , .
- 2000. Embryonic lethality in mice homozygous for a processing-deficient allele of Notch1. Nature 405: 966–970. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Notch signals inhibit the development of erythroid/megakaryocytic cells by suppressing GATA-1 activity through the induction of HES1. J Biol Chem 280: 4929–4939. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Notch signaling in vascular development. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23: 543–553. , , .
- 1999. Periodic repression of Notch pathway genes governs the segmentation of Xenopus embryos. Genes Dev 13: 1486–1499. , , , , .
- 1998. Defects in limb, craniofacial, and thymic development in Jagged2 mutant mice. Genes Dev 12: 1046–1057. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Involvement of bone morphogenetic protein-4 (BMP-4) and Vgr-1 in morphogenesis and neurogenesis in the mouse. Development 111: 531–542. , , .
- 1998. Muscle and tendon morphogenesis in the avian hind limb. Development 125: 4019–4032. .
- 2001. The atlas of mouse development. Cambridge, UK: Academic Press. .
- 2004. HOXA13 regulates the expression of bone morphogenetic proteins 2 and 7 to control distal limb morphogenesis. Development 131: 4581–4592. , , , .
- 1994. The intracellular domain of mouse Notch: a constitutively activated repressor of myogenesis directed at the basic helix-loop-helix region of MyoD. Development 120: 2385–2396. , , .
- 1999. Delta-induced Notch signaling mediated by RBP-J inhibits MyoD expression and myogenesis. J Biol Chem 274: 7238–7244. , , , , , .
- 2004. Notch signaling: control of cell communication and cell fate. Development 131: 965–973. .
- 2005. Essential role of endothelial Notch1 in angiogenesis. Circulation 111: 1826–1832. , , , , , .
- 2002. Expression of Cre Recombinase in the developing mouse limb bud driven by a Prxl enhancer. Genesis 33: 77–80. , , , , , .
- 1989. Patterns of expression of murine Vgr-1 and BMP-2a RNA suggest that transforming growth factor-beta-like genes coordinately regulate aspects of embryonic development. Genes Dev 3: 1657–1668. , , .
- 1998. Abdominal B (AbdB) Hoxa genes: regulation in adult uterus by estrogen and progesterone and repression in mullerian duct by the synthetic estrogen diethylstilbestrol (DES). Dev Biol 197: 141–154. , , , , .
- 1996. In vivo inhibition of programmed cell death by local administration of FGF-2 and FGF-4 in the interdigital areas of the embryonic chick leg bud. Anat Embryol (Berl) 193: 533–541. , , , .
- 1998. The roles of FGFs in the early development of vertebrate limbs. Genes Dev 12: 1571–1586. .
- 1999. Arbiter of differentiation and death: Notch signaling meets apoptosis. J Cell Physiol 181: 393–409. , .
- 2002. Short-range cell interactions and cell survival in the Drosophila wing. Dev Cell 2: 797–805. , , .
- 1997. Mouse Serrate-1 (Jagged-1): expression in the developing tooth is regulated by epithelial-mesenchymal interactions and fibroblast growth factor-4. Development 124: 1473–1483. , , , .
- 2001. Role of FGFs in the control of programmed cell death during limb development. Development 128: 2075–2084. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cell cycle arrest and apoptosis induced by Notch1 in B cells. J Biol Chem 275: 36523–36531. , , , , , .
- 1996. A chick homologue of Serrate and its relationship with Notch and Delta homologues during central neurogenesis. Dev Biol 174: 233–247. , , , .
- 2005. Critical regulation of BMP-induced osteoblastic differentiation by delta1/jagged1-activated notch1 signaling. J Biol Chem 280: 15842–15848. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Notch signaling imposes two distinct blocks in the differentiation of C2C12 myoblasts. Development 126: 1689–1702. , , , .
- 1997. Fringe modulates Notch-ligand interactions. Nature 387: 908–912. , , , .
- 2002. Cortisol regulates the expression of Notch in osteoblasts. J Cell Biochem 85: 252–258. , , , .
- 1999. Deficient T cell fate specification in mice with an induced inactivation of Notch1. Immunity 10: 547–558. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Tbx5 is required for forelimb bud formation and continued outgrowth. Development 130: 2741–2751. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75: 1401–1416. , , , .
- 2004. Consequences of Notch-mediated induction of Jagged1. Exp Cell Res 296: 173–182. , .
- 2003. Fgf signaling controls the number of phalanges and tip formation in developing digits. Curr Biol 13: 1830–1836. , .
- 1992. Two mammalian helix-loop-helix factors structurally related to Drosophila hairy and Enhancer of split. Genes Dev 6: 2620–2634. , , , , .
- 1998. Inducible gene targeting in mice using the Cre/lox system. Methods 14: 381–392. .
- 2004. Notch signaling activity. Curr Biol 14: R129–R138. .
- 2003. Notch 1 impairs osteoblastic cell differentiation. Endocrinology 144: 5631–5639. , , , , .
- 2004. Bmp4 in limb bud mesoderm regulates digit pattern by controlling AER development. Dev Biol 276: 268–279. , , , , .
- 1996. Notch signaling inhibits muscle cell differentiation through a CBF1-independent pathway. Development 122: 3765–3773. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Serrate2 is disrupted in the mouse limb-development mutant syndactylism. Nature 389: 722–725. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Loss of Eph-receptor expression correlates with loss of cell adhesion and chondrogenic capacity in Hoxa13 mutant limbs. Development 128: 4177–4188. , , .
- 2002. Functions of FGF signalling from the apical ectodermal ridge in limb development. Nature 418: 501–508. , , .
- 1994. Notch1 is essential for postimplantation development in mice. Genes Dev 8: 707–719. , , , , .
- 2002. Stimulation of osteoblastic cell differentiation by Notch. J Bone Miner Res 17: 231–239. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression patterns of Notch1, Serrate1, Serrate2 and Delta1 in tissues of the developing chick limb. Mech Dev 77: 197–199. , , , .
- 2001. Characterisation of hoxa gene expression in the chick limb bud in response to FGF. Dev Dyn 220: 87–90. , , , , .
- 2003. A role for hairy1 in regulating chick limb bud growth. Dev Biol 262: 94–106. , , .
- 2004. Function of BMPs in the apical ectoderm of the developing mouse limb. Dev Biol 269: 109–122. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Suppression of differentiation and proliferation of early chondrogenic cells by Notch. J Bone Miner Metab 21: 344–352. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Complementary and combinatorial patterns of Notch gene family expression during early mouse development. Mech Dev 53: 357–368. , , .
- 1993. Control of cell pattern in the neural tube: motor neuron induction by diffusible factors from notochord and floor plate. Cell 73: 673–686. , , , .
- 2004. Notch activation induces apoptosis in neural progenitor cells through a p53-dependent pathway. Dev Biol 269: 81–94. , , , , , .
- 2001. Preovulatory treatment of mice with anti-VEGF receptor 2 antibody inhibits angiogenesis in corpora lutea. Microvasc Res 62: 15–25. , , , , .