Establishment and maintenance of planar epithelial cell polarity by asymmetric cadherin bridges: A computer model
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 1, pages 235–246, January 2006
How to Cite
Le Garrec, J.-F., Lopez, P. and Kerszberg, M. (2006), Establishment and maintenance of planar epithelial cell polarity by asymmetric cadherin bridges: A computer model. Dev. Dyn., 235: 235–246. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20617
- Issue published online: 7 DEC 2005
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 SEP 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 23 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Received: 3 JUN 2005
- 2002. Planar signaling and morphogenesis in Drosophila. Dev Cell 2: 525–535. .
- 1997. Tissue polarity points from cells that have higher Frizzled levels towards cells that have lower Frizzled levels. Curr Biol 7: 940–949. , , .
- 2000. The domineering non-autonomy of frizzled and Van Gogh clones in the Drosophila wing is a consequence of a disruption in local signaling. Mech Dev 96: 197–207. , , .
- 2005. Mathematical modeling of planar cell polarity to understand domineering nonautonomy. Science 307: 423–426. , , , , , .
- 2001. Unipolar membrane association of Dishevelled mediates Frizzled planar cell polarity signaling. Genes Dev 15: 1182–1187. .
- 1998. Differential recruitment of Dishevelled provides signaling specificity in the planar cell polarity and Wingless signaling pathways. Genes Dev 12: 2610–2622. , , , , .
- 2003. Strabismus is asymmetrically localized and binds to Prickle and Dishevelled during planar polarity patterning. Development 130: 3007–3014. , , .
- 2003. Cadherin function probed by laser tweezer and single molecule fluorescence in vascular endothelial cells. J Cell Sci 116: 1001–1011. , , , , .
- 1999. The Drosophila tissue polarity gene starry night encodes a member of the protocadherin family. Development 126: 5421–5429. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Diego interacts with Prickle and Strabismus/Van Gogh to localize planar cell polarity complexes. Development 131: 4467–4476. , , , , .
- 2005. The apical determinants aPKC and dPatj regulate Fizzled-dependent planar cell polarity in the Drosophila eye. Cell 121: 621–631. , , .
- 2003. Cell biology of planar polarity transmission in the Drosophila wing. Mech Dev 120: 1257–1264. .
- 2001. The ankyrin-repeat protein Diego mediates Frizzled-dependent planar polarisation. Dev Cell 1: 93–101. , , , .
- 2005. Glypicans shunt the Wingless signal between local signalling and further transport. Development 132: 659–666. , , , , , .
- 1999. The balance between isoforms of the prickle LIM domain protein is critical for planar polarity in Drosophila imaginal discs. Genes Dev 13: 2315–2327. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Morphogen gradient interpretation. Nature 413: 797–803. , .
- 2003. Prickle and Strabismus form a functional complex to generate a correct axis during planar cell polarity signaling. EMBO J 17: 4409–4420. , , , .
- 2005. Diego and Prickle regulate Frizzled planar cell polarity signalling by competing for Dishevelled binding. Nat Cell Biol 7: 691–697. , , , , .
- 1996. Molecular analysis of EMS-induced Frizzled mutations in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 142: 205–215. , , .
- 2005. Trimeric G protein-dependent Frizzled signaling in Drosophila. Cell 120: 111–122. , , , .
- 1998. A simple molecular model of neurulation. Bioessays 20: 758–770. , .
- 2003. Evolution of key cell signaling and adhesion protein families predates animal origins. Science 301: 361–363. , , .
- 2005. Planar cell polarization: an emerging model points to the right direction. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 21: 155–176. , .
- 1994. The Drosophila segment polarity gene dishevelled encodes a novel protein required for response to the wingless signal. Genes Dev 8: 118–130. , , .
- 1993. Confined lateral diffusion of membrane receptors as studied by single particle tracking (Nanovid Microscopy). Effects of calcium-induced differentiation in cultured epithelial cells. Biophys J 65: 2021–2040. , , .
- 2004. Cell interactions and planar polarity in the abdominal epidermis of Drosophila. Development 131: 4651–4664. , , .
- 2003. Fidelity in planar cell polarity signalling. Nature 421: 543–547. , , , , .
- 2004. Interactions between Fat and Dachsous and the regulation of planar cell polarity in the Drosophila wing. Development 131: 3785–3794. , .
- 2004. Xenopus paraxial protocadherin has signaling functions and is involved in tissue separation. EMBO J. 23: 3249–3258. , , , .
- 1996. Cell cycling and patterned cell proliferation in the wing primordium of Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 640–645. , , .
- 2002. Planar cell polarization: do the same mechanisms regulate Drosophila tissue polarity and vertebrate gastrulation? Trends Genet 18: 564–571. .
- 1994a. The Frizzled gene of Drosophila encodes a membrane protein with an odd number of transmembrane domains. Mech Dev 45: 127–137. , , .
- 1994b. Frizzled gene expression and development of tissue polarity in the Drosophila wing. Dev Genet 15: 383–389. , , .
- 2000. Dishevelled phosphorylation, subcellular localisation and multimerization regulate its role in early embryogenesis. EMBO J 19: 1010–1022. , , , , , .
- 2001. Asymmetric colocalization of Flamingo, a seven-pass transmembrane cadherin and Dishevelled in planar cell polarization. Curr Biol 11: 859–863. , , , , .
- 2004. Planar cell polarity in the Drosophila eye is directed by graded Fj and Ds expression. Development 131: 6175–6184. .
- 2002. Developmental signalling in Hydra: what does it take to build a “simple” animal? Dev Biol 248: 199–219. .
- 2001. Asymmetric localization of Frizzled and the establishment of cell polarity in the Drosophila wing. Mol Cell 7: 367–375. .
- 2002. The asymmetric subcellular localisation of components of the planar polarity pathway. Semin Cell Dev Biol 13: 225–231. .
- 2003. Frizzled signalling and cell polarisation in Drosophila and vertebrates. Development 130: 4501–4513. .
- 1997. The role of RhoA in tissue polarity and Frizzled signaling. Nature 387: 292–295. , , .
- 1998. Van Gogh: a new Drosophila tissue polarity gene. Genetics 150: 199–210. , , , .
- 2002a. A three-tiered mechanism for regulation of planar cell polarity. Semin Cell Dev Biol 13: 217–224. , , .
- 2002b. Prickle mediates feedback amplification to generate asymmetric planar cell polarity signaling. Cell 109: 371–381. , , , , , .
- 2003. Breaking cellular symmetry along planar axes in Drosophila and vertebrates. J Biochem 134: 625–630. , .
- 1999. Flamingo, a seven-pass transmembrane cadherin, regulates planar cell polarity under the control of Frizzled. Cell 98: 585–595. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Morphogen transport along epithelia, an integrated trafficking problem. Dev Cell 3: 615–623. , .
- 1987. Directional non-cell autonomy and the transmission of polarity information by the Frizzled gene of Drosophila. Nature 329: 549–551. , .
- 1989. A Drosophila tissue polarity locus encodes a protein containing seven potential transmembrane domains. Nature 338: 263–264. , , .
- 2002. Convergent extension: the molecular control of polarized cell movement during embryonic development. Dev Cell 2: 695–706. , , .
- 1998. Independent regulation of anterior/posterior and equatorial/polar polarity in the Drosophila eye; evidence for the involvement of Wnt signaling in the equatorial/polar axis. Development 125: 1421–1432. , .
- 2001. Rho-Associated Kinase (Drok) links Frizzled-mediated planar cell polarity signaling to the actin cytoskeleton. Cell 105: 81–91. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Direct binding of the PDZ domain of Dishevelled to a conserved internal sequence in the C-terminal region of Frizzled. Mol Cell 12: 1251–1260. .
- 1993. Tissue polarity genes of Drosophila regulate the subcellular location for prehair initiation in pupal wing cells. J Cell Biol 123: 209–221. , .
- 1995. Frizzled regulates mirror symmetric pattern formation in the Drosophila eye. Development 121: 3045–3055. , , .