Rho kinases regulate endothelial invasion and migration during valvuloseptal endocardial cushion tissue formation
Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 1, pages 94–104, January 2006
How to Cite
Sakabe, M., Ikeda, K., Nakatani, K., Kawada, N., Imanaka-Yoshida, K., Yoshida, T., Yamagishi, T. and Nakajima, Y. (2006), Rho kinases regulate endothelial invasion and migration during valvuloseptal endocardial cushion tissue formation. Dev. Dyn., 235: 94–104. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20648
- Issue online: 7 DEC 2005
- Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 OCT 2005
- The Ministry of Education, Science, and Culture of Japan. Grant Numbers: 14570023, 17590169
- The Japan Cardiovascular Research Foundation
- The Takeda Science Foundation
- Terumo Lifescience Foundation
- 1997. Rho GTPases and signaling networks. Genes Dev 11: 2295–2322. , .
- 2002. Role of Rho family GTPase in epithelial morphogenesis. Genes Dev 16: 1032–1054. , .
- 1997. Formation of actin stress fibers and focal adhesions enhanced by Rho-kinase. Science 275: 1308–1311. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Phosphorylation and activation of myosin by Rho-associated kinase (Rho-kinase). J Biol Chem 271: 20246–20249. , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Migratory behavior of cardiac cushion tissue cells in a collagen-lattice culture system. Dev Biol 91: 235–245. , .
- 2000. Rho GTPases and their effector proteins. Biochem J 348: 241–255. , .
- 1999. Epithelial-mesenchymal transformation in the embryonic heart is mediated through distinct pertussis transduction mechanisms. Dev Dyn 21: 81–91. , , .
- 1993. Expression of homeobox genes Msx-1(Hox-7) and Msx-2(Hox-8) during cardiac development in the chick. Dev Dyn 197: 203–216. , , , , .
- 1927. Development of human heart from its first appearance to the stage found in embryo of twenty paired somites. Contrib Embryol 19: 245–284. .
- 1995. Molecular regulation of atrioventricular valvuloseptal morphogenesis. Circ Res 77: 1–6. , .
- 2001. Rho-Rho-kinase pathway in smooth muscle contraction and cytoskeletal reorganization of non-muscle cells. Trends Pharmacol. Sci 22: 32–39. , , .
- 2001. Wnt/Frizzled activation of Rho regulates vertebrate gastrulation and requires a novel formin homology protein Daam1. Cell 107: 843–854. , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2000. RhoB is expressed in migrating neural crest and endocardial cushions of the developing mouse embryo. Mech Dev 95: 211–214. , , .
- 2003. The Wnt/β-catenin pathway regulates cardiac valve formation. Nature 425: 633–637. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. RhoA is highly up-regulated in the process of early heart development of the chick and important for normal embryogenesis. Dev Dyn 227: 35–47. , , .
- 2001. Rho-kinase-mediated contraction of isolated stress fibers. J Cell Biol 153: 569–583. , , , , , .
- 1999. ROCK inhibitor Y-27632 attenuates stellate cell contraction and portal pressure increase induced by Endothelin-1. Biochem Biophy Res Commun 266: 296–300. , , , .
- 2005. JNK and ROKα function in the noncanonical Wnt/Rho signaling pathway to regulate Xenopus convergent extension movements. Dev Dyn 232: 958–968. , .
- 1987. Extracellular matrix from embryonic myocardium elicits an early morphogenetic event in cardiac endothelial differentiation. Dev Biol 120: 348–355. , , .
- 2004. β-catenin is required for endothelial-mesenchymal transformation during heart cushion development in the mouse. J Cell Biol 13: 359–367. , , , , , , .
- 1998. A role for rhoB in the delamination of neural crest cells from the dorsal neural tube. Development 125: 5055–5067. , .
- 2001. Coronary smooth muscle differentiation from proepicardial cells requires RhoA-mediated actin reorganization and p160 Rho-kinase activity. Dev Biol 240: 404–418. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Signaling from Rho to the actin cytoskeleton through protein kinases ROCK and LIM-kinase. Science 285: 895–898. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1975. Structural analysis of endocardial cytodifferentiation. Dev Biol 42: 160–180. , , .
- 1977. Structural development of endocardial cushions. Am J Anat 148: 85–120. , , .
- 1996. Rho-associated kinase, a novel serine/threonine kinase, as putative target for small GTP binding protein Rho. EMBO J 15: 2208–2216. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Induction of an epithelial-mesenchymal transition by an in vivo adheron-like complex. Dev Biol 136: 118–128. , .
- 1991. An antiserum(ES1) against a particulate form of extracellular matrix blocks the transition of cardiac endothelium into mesenchyme in culture. Dev Biol 145: 219–230. , , .
- 1996. ROCK-1 and ROCK2, two isoforms of Rho-associated coiled-coil forming protein serine/threonine kinase in mice. FEBS Lett 392: 189–193. , , , , , .
- 1994. Myocardial regulation of transforming growth factor-β expression by outflow tract endothelium in the early embryonic chick heart. Dev Biol 165: 615–626. , , .
- 1997. Expression of smooth muscle alpha-actin in mesenchymal cells during formation of avian endocardial cushion tissue: a role for transforming growth factor β3. Dev Dyn 209: 296–309. , , , , .
- 1998. An autocrine function for transforming growth factor (TGF)-β3 in the transformation of atrioventricular canal endocardium into mesenchyme during chick heart development. Dev Biol 194: 99–113. , , , , .
- 1999. Antisense oligodeoxynucleotide complementary to smooth muscle α-actin inhibits endothelial-mesenchymal transformation during chick cardiogenesis. Dev Dyn 216: 484–498. , , , , .
- 2005. Frzb modulates Wnt-9a-mediated b-catenin signaling during avian atrioventricular cardiac cushion development. Dev Biol 278: 35–48. , , , , .
- 1991. Epithelial-mesenchymal transformation of embryonic cardiac endothelial cells is inhibited by a modified antisense oligodeoxynucleotide to transforming growth factor β3. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88: 1516–1520. , , , , .
- 2004. Cell migration: Rho GTPases lead the way. Dev Biol 265: 23–32. , .
- 1997. Induction of endocardial cushion tissue in the avian heart is regulated, in part, by TGFβ-3-mediated autocrine signaling. Dev Biol 188: 64–74. , .
- 2001. Rho GTPases and cell migration. J Cell Sci 114: 2713–2722. .
- 2002. Wnt6 marks sites of epithelial transformation in the chick embryo. Mech Dev 114: 143–148. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Identification of cDNA clones that encode hLAMP-1, a component of the particulate matrix associated with cardiac mesenchyme formation. Anat Rec 277: 307–311. , .
- 1988. Initial expression of Type 1 procollagen in chick cardiac mesenchyme is dependent upon myocardial stimulation. Dev Biol 130: 167–174. , , .
- 2001. Activation of LIM kinases by myotonic dystrophy kinase-related Cdc42-binding kinase α. J Biol Chem 276: 23092–23096. , , , .
- 2001. Regulation of Rac and Cdc42 pathways by Gi during lysophosphatidic acid-induced cell spreading. J Biol Chem 276: 6846–6852. , , , , , .
- 2001. Rho kinases play an obligatory role in vertebrate embryonic organogenesis. Development 128: 2953–2962. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Inhibition of Rho family GTPases by Rho GDP dissociation inhibitor disrupts cardiac morphogenesis and inhibits cardiomyocyte proliferation. Development 129: 1705–1714. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Involvement of the small GTPase XRhoA and XRnd1 in cell adhesion and head formation in early Xenopus development. Development 126: 5339–5351. , , , .
- 1994. Cardiac endothelial heterogeneity defines valvular development as demonstrated by the diverse expression of JB3, an antigen of the endocardial cushion tissue. Dev Biol 165: 585–601. , , .
- 1999. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 acts synergistically with transforming growth factor-β3 during endothelial-mesenchymal transformation in the developing chick heart. J Cell Physiol 180: 35–45. , , , .
- 2003. Rho-associated kinases play an essential role in cardiac morphogenesis and cardiomyocyte proliferation. Dev Dyn 226: 24–32. , .
- 2004. Rho-associated kinases play a role in endothelial cell differentiation and migration. Dev Biol 275: 183–191. , .