Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 1 regulates matrix metalloproteinase activity during newt limb regeneration
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 3, pages 606–616, March 2006
How to Cite
Stevenson, T. J., Vinarsky, V., Atkinson, D. L., Keating, M. T. and Odelberg, S. J. (2006), Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 1 regulates matrix metalloproteinase activity during newt limb regeneration. Dev. Dyn., 235: 606–616. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20654
- Issue online: 7 FEB 2006
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 NOV 2005
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Grant Number: NS43878
- 1996. Rescue of mammary epithelial cell apoptosis and entactin degradation by a tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1 transgene. J Cell Biol 135: 1669–1677. , , , .
- 1988. K562 cells produce and respond to human erythroid-potentiating activity. Blood 71: 1720–1725. , , , , , .
- 2005. Matrix metalloproteinase expression and function during fin regeneration in zebrafish: analysis of MT1-MMP, MMP2 and TIMP2. Matrix Biol 24: 247–260. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Improved prediction of signal peptides: SignalP 3.0. J Mol Biol 340: 783–795. , , , .
- 1991. Growth stimulation of human keratinocytes by tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases. J Invest Dermatol 97: 679–685. , , , .
- 1977. Human interferon: mass production in a newly established cell line, MG-63. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 12: 11–15. , , , , , , .
- 1983. Cytoplasmic activation of human nuclear genes in stable heterocaryons. Cell 32: 1171–1180. , , .
- 1958. The development of nerve-induced supernumerary limbs in the adult newt, Triturus viridescens. J Morphol 102: 555–582. .
- 2002. Plasticity and reprogramming of differentiated cells in amphibian regeneration. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 3: 566–574. , .
- 1954. A quantitative histological analysis of forelimb regeneration in Triturus viridescens. J Morphol 94: 21–70. .
- 1995. Metalloproteinase inhibition and erythroid potentiation are independent activities of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1. Blood 86: 4506–4515. , , , .
- 1988. Culture of newt cells from different tissues and their expression of a regeneration-associated antigen. J Exp Zool 247: 77–91. , .
- 2005. Alteration of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase cascade in the multilobulated nuclear formation of adult T cell leukemia/lymphoma (ATLL). Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 15213–15218. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase (TIMP)-1: the TIMPed balance of matrix metalloproteinases in the central nervous system. J Neurosci Res 74: 801–806. , .
- 1985. Molecular characterization and expression of the gene encoding human erythroid-potentiating activity. Nature 315: 768–771. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. ExPASy: The proteomics server for in-depth protein knowledge and analysis. Nucleic Acids Res 31: 3784–3788. , , , , , .
- 1961. Origin of the blastema in regenerating limbs of the newt Triturus viridescens. An autoradiographic study using tritiated thymidine to follow cell proliferation and migration. Dev Biol 3: 26–59. , .
- 2002. Multiple functions of tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases (TIMPs): a new aspect involving osteoclastic bone resorption. J Bone Miner Metab 20: 1–13. .
- 1992. Growth-promoting activity of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1 (TIMP-1) for a wide range of cells. A possible new growth factor in serum. FEBS Lett 298: 29–32. , , , , .
- 1994. Cell growth-promoting activity of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-2 (TIMP-2). J Cell Sci 107: 2373–2379. , , , .
- 1969. Murine sarcoma and leukemia viruses: assay using clonal lines of contact-inhibited mouse cells. J Virol 4: 549–553. , , .
- 2003. Unique expression patterns of matrix metalloproteinases in regenerating newt limbs. Dev Dyn 226: 366–376. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Altered balance between matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in experimental biliary fibrosis. Am J Pathol 153: 1895–1902. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A novel hydra matrix metalloproteinase (HMMP) functions in extracellular matrix degradation, morphogenesis and the maintenance of differentiated cells in the foot process. Development 127: 907–920. , , , ,
- 1999. Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 inhibits apoptosis of human breast epithelial cells. Cancer Res 59: 6267–6275. , , .
- 1999. Tissue inhibitor of metalloprotease (TIMP)-1 and proliferative behaviour of clonal breast cancer cells. Breast Cancer Res Treat 54: 235–244. , , , .
- 2005. Human T cell leukemia virus type I-infected patients with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Graves' Disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90: 5704–5710. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Cloning and characterization of cDNAs for matrix metalloproteinases of regenerating newt limbs. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 6819–6824. , , , .
- 2002. Inhibition of apoptosis of activated hepatic stellate cells by tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 is mediated via effects on matrix metalloproteinase inhibition: implications for reversibility of liver fibrosis. J Biol Chem 277: 11069–11076. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Tissue inhibitors of matrix metalloendopeptidases. Methods Enzymol 248: 496–510. , .
- 1993. TIMP-2, a growth-stimulatory protein from SV40-transformed human fibroblasts. Exp Cell Res 207: 376–382. , .
- 1998. Transcription occurs in pulses in muscle fibers. Genes Dev 12: 2748–2758. , , , , , , .
- 1977. Characterization of a new human diploid cell strain, IMR-90. Science 196: 60–63. , , , , , .
- 1998. Prediction of signal peptides and signal anchors by a hidden Markov model. Proc Int Conf Intell Syst Mol Biol 6: 122–130. , .
- 2000. T-Coffee: A novel method for fast and accurate multiple sequence alignment. J Mol Biol 302: 205–217. , , .
- 2005. A novel therapeutic approach for thrombocytopenia by minibody agonist of the thrombopoietin receptor. Blood 105: 562–566. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1958. Regeneration of the intestine in adult urodeles. J Morphol 103: 435–477. .
- 1955. Regeneration of the spinal cord in the salamander. J Exp Zool 129: 177–207. .
- 2002. Extracellular matrix remodeling and metalloproteinase involvement during intestine regeneration in the sea cucumber Holothuria glaberrima. Dev Biol 250: 181–197. , , , .
- 2002. Vasculature in pre-blastema and nerve-dependent blastema stages of regenerating forelimbs of the adult newt, Notophthalmus viridescens. J Exp Zool 292: 255–266. , , , , , .
- 1993. Changes in architecture of the Golgi complex and other subcellular organelles during myogenesis. J Cell Biol 120: 399–409. .
- 2003. Regulation of myosin expression during myotome formation. Development 130: 3391–3402. , , , , , .
- 2001. Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases 1 and 2 directly stimulate the bone-resorbing activity of isolated mature osteoclasts. J Bone Miner Res 16: 2205–2214. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. How matrix metalloproteinases regulate cell behavior. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17: 463–516. , .
- 1995. Mechanism of cell surface activation of 72-kDa type IV collagenase. Isolation of the activated form of the membrane metalloprotease. J Biol Chem 270: 5331–5338. , , , , , .
- 1999. BLAST 2 Sequences, a new tool for comparing protein and nucleotide sequences. FEMS Microbiol Lett 174: 247–250. , .
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 4673–4680. , , .
- 1938a. The histogenesis of muscle in the regenerating fore limb of larval amblystoma punctatum. J Morphol 62: 17–47. .
- 1938b. The histogenesis of the regenerating forelimb of larval Amblystoma after exarticulation of the humerus. J Morphol 62: 219–235. .
- 1957. The effects of apical cap removal on limb regeneration in Amblystoma lavae. J Exp Zool 134: 357–382. .
- 1974. The ultrastructure of regeneration in the severed newt optic nerve. J Exp Zool 190: 249–268. , .
- 2005. Normal newt limb regeneration requires matrix metalloproteinase function. Dev Biol 279: 86–98. , , , , .
- 2002. Both tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases-1 (TIMP-1) and TIMP-2 activate Ras but through different pathways. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 296: 201–205. , , , .
- 1977. Serial passaging and differentiation of myogenic cells isolated from dystrophic mouse muscle. Nature 270: 725–727. , .
- 1996. Tyrosine phosphorylation is crucial for growth signaling by tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases (TIMP-1 and TIMP-2). FEBS Lett 396: 103–107. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Developmental regulation of a matrix metalloproteinase during regeneration of axolotl appendages. Dev Biol 166: 696–703. , .
- 1999. Expression of Mmp-9 and related matrix metalloproteinase genes during axolotl limb regeneration. Dev Dyn 216: 2–9. , , , , .
- 2002. Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1 attenuates spontaneous liver fibrosis resolution in the transgenic mouse. Hepatology 36: 850–860. , , , , , , , , , , .