Erk1/2 signaling is required for Tgf-β2–induced suture closure
Article first published online: 7 DEC 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Craniofacial Development Special Issue
Volume 235, Issue 5, pages 1292–1299, May 2006
How to Cite
Opperman, L. A., Fernandez, C. R., So, S. and Rawlins, J. T. (2006), Erk1/2 signaling is required for Tgf-β2–induced suture closure. Dev. Dyn., 235: 1292–1299. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20656
- Issue published online: 19 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 7 DEC 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 NOV 2005
- 1996. Identical mutations in three different fibroblast growth factor receptor genes in autosomal dominant craniosynostosis syndromes. Nat Genet 14: 174–176. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Rapid flux in transforming growth factor-beta receptors on bone cells. J Biol Chem 271: 18616–18622. , , , .
- 2003. Rescue of coronal suture fusion using transforming growth factor-beta 3 (Tgf-beta3) in rabbits with delayed-onset craniosynostosis. Anat Rec 274: 962–971. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Erk and PI-3 kinase are necessary for collagen binding and actin reorganization in corneal epithelia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 41: 3374–3382. , , , .
- 2002. TGF-beta-induced mobilisation of the actin cytoskeleton requires signalling by the small GTPases Cdc42 and RhoA. Mol Biol Cell 13: 902–914. , , , .
- 1997. Mutations of the TWIST gene in the Saethre-Chotzen syndrome. Nat Genet 15: 42–46. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Interdependent SMAD and JNK signaling in transforming growth factor-beta-mediated transcription. J Biol Chem 274: 37413–37420. , , , .
- 2001. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 promotes osteoblast apoptosis through a Smad-independent, protein kinase C-dependent signaling pathway. J Biol Chem 276: 29028–29036. , , , .
- 2002. MAP kinase pathways involving hsp27 regulate fibroblast-mediated wound contraction. J Surg Res 102: 77–84. , , .
- 1999. TGF-beta induces fibronectin synthesis through a c-Jun N-terminal kinase-dependent, Smad4-independent pathway. EMBO J 18: 1345–1356. , , .
- 1997. Mutations in TWIST, a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor, in Saethre-Chotzen syndrome. Nat Genet 15: 36–41. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Fibroblast growth factors lead to increased Msx2 expression and fusion in calvarial sutures: expression profiles of craniosynostosis-derived fibroblasts. J Bone Miner Res 18: 751–759. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. A mutation in the homeodomain of the human MSX2 gene in a family affected with autosomal dominant craniosynostosis. Cell 75: 443–450. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Jackson-Weiss and Crouzon syndromes are allelic with mutations in fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 [published erratum appears in Nat Genet 1995;9:451]. Nat Genet 8: 275–279. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. FGF-, BMP- and Shh-mediated signalling pathways in the regulation of cranial suture morphogenesis and calvarial bone development. Development 125: 1241–1251. , , , .
- 2003. Erk pathway and activator protein 1 play crucial roles in FGF2-stimulated premature cranial suture closure. Dev Dyn 227: 335–346. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Opposing BMP and EGF signalling pathways converge on the TGF-beta family mediator Smad1. Nature 389: 618–622. , , .
- 2002. Signal transductions induced by bone morphogenetic protein-2 and transforming growth factor-beta in normal human osteoblastic cells. J Biol Chem 277: 15514–15522. , .
- 1997. Cell–matrix interactions induce tyrosine phosphorylation of MAP kinases ERK1 and ERK2 and PLCgamma-1 in two-dimensional and three-dimensional cultures of human fibroblasts. Exp Cell Res 235: 22–27. , , , , , .
- 1994. Regulation of the Msx2 homeobox gene during mouse embryogenesis: a transgene with 439 bp of 5′ flanking sequence is expressed exclusively in the apical ectodermal ridge of the developing limb. Mech Dev 48: 187–197. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Premature suture closure and ectopic cranial bone in mice expressing Msx2 transgenes in the developing skull. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 6137–6141. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Epidermal growth factor signaling via Ras controls the Smad transcriptional co-repressor TGIF. EMBO J 20: 128–136. , , .
- 2005. A syndrome of altered cardiovascular, craniofacial, neurocognitive and skeletal development caused by mutations in TGFBR1 or TGFBR2. Nat Genet 37: 275–281. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Transcriptional control by the Tgf-B/Smad signaling system. EMBO J 19: 1745–1754. , .
- 2003. Delivery of transforming growth factor-beta2-perturbing antibody in a collagen vehicle inhibits cranial suture fusion in calvarial organ culture. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 40: 225–232. , , , .
- 1994. A common mutation in the fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 gene in Pfeiffer syndrome. Nat Genet 8: 269–274. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Receptor tyrosine kinases inhibit bone morphogenetic protein-Smad responsive promoter activity and differentiation of murine MC3T3–E1 osteoblast-like cells. J Bone Miner Res 18: 827–835. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cranial sutures require tissue interactions with dura mater to resist osseous obliteration in vitro. J Bone Miner Res 10: 1978–1987. , , , , .
- 1999. Cranial suture obliteration is induced by removal of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta 3 activity and prevented by removal of TGF-beta 2 activity from fetal rat calvaria in vitro. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 19: 164–173. , , , .
- 2000. TGF-B2 and TGF-B3 regulate fetal rat cranial suture morphogenesis by regulating rates of cell proliferation and apoptosis. Dev Dyn 219: 237–247. , , .
- 2002. Transforming growth factor-beta 3 (Tgf-β3) in a collagen gel delays fusion of the rat posterior interfrontal suture in vivo. Anat Rec 267: 120–130. , , , .
- 1997. TGF-beta signaling in murine embryonic palate cells involves phosphorylation of the CREB transcription factor. Exp Cell Res 231: 96–103. , , , .
- 2001. Transforming growth factor-beta inhibition of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-5 synthesis in skeletal muscle cells involves a c-Jun N-terminal kinase-dependent pathway. J Biol Chem 276: 46961–46967. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Smad4 mediates activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases by TGF-beta in pancreatic acinar cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 281: C311–C319. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Activations of ERK1/2 and JNK by transforming growth factor beta negatively regulate Smad3-induced alkaline phosphatase activity and mineralization in mouse osteoblastic cells. J Biol Chem 277: 36024–36031. , , , , .
- 2000. Functions of mammalian Smad genes as revealed by targeted gene disruption in mice. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 11: 49–58. , , .
- 1995. Apert syndrome results from localized mutations of FGFR2 and is allelic with Crouzon syndrome. Nat Genet 9: 165–172. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Cross-talk between the Smad1 and Ras/MEK signaling pathways for TGFbeta. Oncogene 18: 2033–2037. , , .