Joint formation in the middle ear: Lessons from the mouse and guinea pig
Article first published online: 19 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Craniofacial Development Special Issue
Volume 235, Issue 5, pages 1326–1333, May 2006
How to Cite
Amin, S. and Tucker, A. S. (2006), Joint formation in the middle ear: Lessons from the mouse and guinea pig. Dev. Dyn., 235: 1326–1333. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20666
- Issue published online: 19 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 19 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 NOV 2005
- 1997. Clustering of mutations responsible for branchio-oto-renal (BOR) syndrome in the eyes absent homologous region (eyaHR) of EYA1. Hum Mol Genet 6: 2247–2255. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1975. Surgical anatomy of the guinea pig ear. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 84: 250–255. , , .
- 1997. SOX9 directly regulates the type-II collagen gene. Nat Genet 16: 174–178. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1922. Direct observations of the transformations of the mesenchyme in the thigh of the pig embryo with special reference to the genesis of the thigh muscles of the knee and hip joints and of the primary bone femur. J Morphol 37: 1–79. .
- 1987. The spatial and temporal pattern of collagens I and II and keratan sulphate in the developing chick metatarsophalangeal joint. Development 99: 383–391. , , .
- 1978. Evolutionary principles of the mammalian middle ear. Adv Anat Embryol Cell Biol 55: 3–70. .
- 1999. Bmp/Gdf signalling interactions during synovial joint development. Cell Tiss Res 296: 111–119. , , , .
- 1998. Eyeless initiates the expression of both sine oculis and eyes absent during Drosophila compound eye development. Development 125: 2181–2191. , , , , , .
- 1977. An experimental investigation into the early development of the chick elbow joint. J Embryol Exp Morphol 39: 115–127. .
- 1989. Treacher Collins syndrome: an otologic challenge. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 98: 807–812. , , , .
- 1997. Surgical anatomy of the rat middle ear. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 117: 438–447. , .
- 1991. Homeotic transformations of murine vertebrae and concomitant alteration of Hox codes induced by retinoic acid. Cell 67: 89–104. , .
- 1997. High-resolution CT of the temporal bone in dysplasia of the auricle and external auditory canal. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 18: 53–65. , , , , .
- 1976. Familial branchio-oto-renal dysplasia: a new addition to the branchial arch syndromes. Clin Genet 9: 25–34. , , , , .
- 2003. Two endothelial 1 effectors, hand2 and bapx1, pattern ventral pharyngeal cartilage and the joint jaw. Development 130: 1353–1365. , , , .
- 1970. Audibility curve of the chinchilla. J Acoust Soc Am 48: 513–523. .
- 1996. Stage-specific onset of condensation and matrix deposition for Meckel's and other first arch cartilages in inbred C57BL/6 mice. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 16: 32–47. , , .
- 2001. Agenesis of the scapula in Emx2 homozygous mutants. Dev Biol 232: 149–156. , , , , .
- 1981. The ear deformities in mandibulofacial dysostosis (Treacher Collins syndrome). Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 6: 15–28. , , .
- 2004. The role of Emx2 during scapula formation. Dev Biol 275: 315–324. , , , , , .
- 2003. The homeobox gene Emx2 underlies middle ear and inner ear defects in the deaf mouse mutant pardon. J Neurocytol 32: 1143–1154. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. SIX1 mutations cause branchio-oto-renal syndrome by disruption of EYA1-SIX1-DNA complexes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 8090–8095. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Multiple joint and skeletal patterning defects caused by single and double mutations in the mouse Gdf6 and Gdf5 genes. Dev Biol 254: 116–130. , , , , , .
- 1991. Antigen retrieval in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues: an enhancement method for immunohistochemical staining based on microwave oven heating of tissue sections. J Histochem Cytochem 39: 741–748. , , .
- 1975. Innervation of the cochlea of the guinea pig by use of the Golgi stain. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 84: 443–458. .
- 1996. Joint patterning defects caused by single and double mutations in members of the bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) family. Development 122: 3969–3979. , .
- 1967. Hearing in the chinchilla. J Audit Res 7: 145–155. .
- 2000. Mandibulofacial dysostosis: CT evaluation of the temporal bones for surgical risk assessment in patients of bilateral aural atresia. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 54: 33–40. , , , .
- 2004. Bapx1 regulates patterning in the middle ear: altered regulatory role in the transition from the proximal jaw during vertebrate evolution. Development 131: 1235–1245. , , , , .
- 1999. Fgf-8 determines rostral-caudal polarity in the first branchial arch. Development 126: 51–61. , , , , .
- 1976. Study of differential collagen synthesis during development of the chick embryo by immunofluorescence. II. Localization of type I and type II collagen during long bone development. Dev Biol 53: 153–170. , , .
- 2004. Fgf and Bmp signals repress the expression of Bapx1 in the mandibular mesenchyme and control the position of the developing jaw joint. Dev Biol 266: 138–150. , .
- 1999. Eya1-deficient mice lack ears and kidneys and show abnormal apoptosis of organ primordia. Nat Genet 23: 113–117. , , , , , .
- 2003. The role of Six1 in mammalian auditory system development. Development 130: 3989–4000. , , , , , .
- 1995. A 182 bp fragment of the mouse pro alpha 1(II) collagen gene is sufficient to direct chondrocyte expression in transgenic mice. J Cell Sci 108: 3677–3684. , , , , , , .