Patterns & Phenotypes
Zic3 is critical for early embryonic patterning during gastrulation
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 3, pages 776–785, March 2006
How to Cite
Ware, S. M., Harutyunyan, K. G. and Belmont, J. W. (2006), Zic3 is critical for early embryonic patterning during gastrulation. Dev. Dyn., 235: 776–785. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20668
- Issue published online: 7 FEB 2006
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 NOV 2005
- NIH. Grant Numbers: K08 HL67355;5-FY04-124, P01 HL67155
- 1996. The mouse zic gene family. Homologues of the Drosophila pair-rule gene odd-paired. J Biol Chem 271: 1043–1047. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Anterior patterning in mouse. Trends Genet 14: 277–284. , .
- 1999. Axis development and early asymmetry in mammals. Cell 96: 195–209. , .
- 1997. Cerberus-like is a secreted factor with neutralizing activity expressed in the anterior primitive endoderm of the mouse gastrula. Mech Dev 68: 45–57. , , , , , , .
- 2002. The hypoblast of the chick embryo positions the primitive streak by antagonizing nodal signaling. Dev Cell 3: 735–744. , .
- 2001. Nodal signalling in the epiblast patterns the early mouse embryo. Nature 411: 965–969. , , , , , .
- 2000. Gli2 functions in FGF signaling during antero-posterior patterning. Development 127: 4395–4405. , , .
- 1997. Chimeric analysis of fibroblast growth factor receptor-1 (Fgfr1) function: a role for FGFR1 in morphogenetic movement through the primitive streak. Development 124: 2829–2841. , , , , .
- 1994. A primary requirement for nodal in the formation and maintenance of the primitive streak in the mouse. Development 120: 1919–1928. , , , , , , .
- 1995. The mouse Fgf8 gene encodes a family of polypeptides and is expressed in regions that direct outgrowth and patterning in the developing embryo. Development 121: 439–451. , .
- 2000. The establishment of Spemann's organizer and patterning of the vertebrate embryo. Nat Rev Genet 1: 171–181. , , , .
- 1998. Cripto is required for correct orientation of the anterior-posterior axis in the mouse embryo. Nature 395: 702–707. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Staging of gastrulating mouse embryos by morphological landmarks in the dissecting microscope. Development 118: 1255–1266. , .
- 1998. The transcription factor HNF3beta is required in visceral endoderm for normal primitive streak morphogenesis. Development 125: 3015–3025. , , , .
- 2004. Overlapping and distinct expression domains of Zic2 and Zic3 during mouse gastrulation. Gene Expr Patterns 4: 505–511. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Requirement of FGF-4 for postimplantation mouse development. Science 267: 246–249. , , , , .
- 1997. X-linked situs abnormalities result from mutations in ZIC3. Nat Genet 17: 305–308. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. zic Gene expression marks anteroposterior pattern in the presumptive neurectoderm of the zebrafish gastrula. Dev Dyn 222: 688–693. , .
- 2002. Establishment of vertebrate left-right asymmetry. Nat Rev Genet 3: 103–113. , , , .
- 1991. Expression pattern of the Brachyury gene in whole mount Twis/Twis mutant embryos. Development 113: 913–917. .
- 2002. Multiple functions of a Zic-like gene in the differentiation of notochord, central nervous system and muscle in Ciona savignyi embryos. Development 129: 2723–2732. , , .
- 2002. Cell death along the embryo midline regulates left-right sidedness. Dev Dyn 224: 238–244. , , .
- 2001. Complementary functions of Otx2 and Cripto in initial patterning of mouse epiblast. Dev Biol 235: 12–32. , , , , .
- 2002. Xenopus Brachyury regulates mesodermal expression of Zic3, a gene controlling left-right asymmetry. Dev Growth Differ 44: 55–61. , , , , .
- 2001. Physical and functional interactions between Zic and Gli proteins. J Biol Chem 276: 6889–6892. , , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of the neural patterning activity of sonic hedgehog by secreted BMP inhibitors expressed by notochord and somites. Development 127: 4855–4866. , , .
- 2001. Genetic dissection of nodal function in patterning the mouse embryo. Development 128: 1831–1843. , , .
- 2001. From fertilization to gastrulation: axis formation in the mouse embryo. Curr Opin Genet Dev 11: 384–392. , , .
- 2001. The neural plate specifies somite size in the Xenopus laevis gastrula. Dev Cell 1: 115–126. , , .
- 2000. X-linked transposition of the great arteries and incomplete penetrance among males with a nonsense mutation in ZIC3. Eur J Hum Genet 8: 704–708. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Mouse Lefty2 and zebrafish antivin are feedback inhibitors of nodal signaling during vertebrate gastrulation. Mol Cell 4: 287–298. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Diffusion of nodal signaling activity in the absence of the feedback inhibitor Lefty2. Dev Cell 1: 127–138. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular properties of Zic proteins as transcriptional regulators and their relationship to GLI proteins. J Biol Chem 276: 2180–2188. , , , .
- 2003. Functional ablation of the mouse Ldb1 gene results in severe patterning defects during gastrulation. Development 130: 495–505. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. HNF3beta and Lim1 interact in the visceral endoderm to regulate primitive streak formation and anterior-posterior polarity in the mouse embryo. Development 126: 4499–4511. , , , , .
- 2001. Otx2 is required for visceral endoderm movement and for the restriction of posterior signals in the epiblast of the mouse embryo. Development 128: 753–765. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Nodal antagonists in the anterior visceral endoderm prevent the formation of multiple primitive streaks. Dev Cell 3: 745–756. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The head inducer Cerberus is a multifunctional antagonist of Nodal, BMP and Wnt signals. Nature 397: 707–710. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Misexpression of Cwnt8C in the mouse induces an ectopic embryonic axis and causes a truncation of the anterior neuroectoderm. Development 124: 2997–3005. , , , , , , .
- 2002. A complex syndrome of left-right axis, central nervous system and axial skeleton defects in Zic3 mutant mice. Development 129: 2293–2302. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. A POU-domain transcription factor in early stem cells and germ cells of the mammalian embryo. Nature 345: 686–692. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Eomesodermin is required for mouse trophoblast development and mesoderm formation. Nature 404: 95–99. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Differential expression of multiple fork head related genes during gastrulation and axial pattern formation in the mouse embryo. Development 118: 47–59. , .
- 1990. New type of POU domain in germ line-specific protein Oct-4. Nature 344: 435–439. , , , , .
- 1995. Requirement for Lim1 in head-organizer function. Nature 374: 425–430. , .
- 1999. Targeted disruption of Fgf8 causes failure of cell migration in the gastrulating mouse embryo. Genes Dev 13: 1834–1846. , , , .
- 1994. Wnt-3a regulates somite and tailbud formation in the mouse embryo. Genes Dev 8: 174–189. , , , , , .
- 2002. HrzicN, a new Zic family gene of ascidians, plays essential roles in the neural tube and notochord development. Development 129: 5597–5608. , .
- 2004. Identification and functional analysis of ZIC3 mutations in heterotaxy and related congenital heart defects. Am J Hum Genet 74: 93–105. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Cell movement patterns during gastrulation in the chick are controlled by positive and negative chemotaxis mediated by FGF4 and FGF8. Dev Cell 3: 425–437. , , , .
- 1997. The mouse Fused locus encodes Axin, an inhibitor of the Wnt signaling pathway that regulates embryonic axis formation. Cell 90: 181–192. , , , , , , , , , .