Human and pig SRY 5′ flanking sequences can direct reporter transgene expression to the genital ridge and to migrating neural crest cells
Version of Record online: 12 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 3, pages 623–632, March 2006
How to Cite
Boyer, A., Pilon, N., Raiwet, D. L., Lussier, J. G. and Silversides, D. W. (2006), Human and pig SRY 5′ flanking sequences can direct reporter transgene expression to the genital ridge and to migrating neural crest cells. Dev. Dyn., 235: 623–632. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20670
- Issue online: 7 FEB 2006
- Version of Record online: 12 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 NOV 2005
- Fonds de la Recherche en Santé du Québec (FRSQ)
- National Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR, formally Medical Research Council of Canada)
- 2001. Evidence that Sry is expressed in pre-Sertoli cells and Sertoli and granulosa cells have a common precursor. Dev Biol 240: 92–107. , .
- 2000. The onset of germ cell migration in the mouse embryo. Mech Dev 91: 61–68. , , , , .
- 2000. Phylogeny of the SOX family of developmental transcription factors based on sequence and structural indicators. Dev Biol 227: 239–255. , , .
- 2002. Conservation of the function of DMRT1 regulatory sequences in mammalian sex differentiation. Genesis 34: 236–243. , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of Sox3 throughout the developing central nervous system is dependent on the combined action of discrete, evolutionarily conserved regulatory elements. Genesis 36: 12–24. , , , , .
- 2001. Spatially dynamic expression of Sry in mouse genital ridges. Dev Dyn 221: 201–205. , .
- 2003. Neural crest development is regulated by the transcription factor Sox9. Development 130: 5681–5693. , .
- 1993. The human SRY transcript. Hum Mol Genet 2: 2007–2012. , , , , , .
- 1996. A comparison of the properties of Sox-3 with Sry and two related genes, Sox-1 and Sox-2. Development 122: 509–520. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Porcine SRY gene locus and genital ridge expression. Biol Reprod 55: 47–53. , , , .
- 2002. The porcine SRY promoter is transactivated within a male genital ridge environment. Genesis 33: 170–180. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Steroidogenic factor-1 contributes to the cyclic-adenosine monophosphate down-regulation of human SRY gene expression. Biol Reprod 64: 775–783. , , , , , .
- 1998. Characterization of two Sp1 binding sites of the human sex determining SRY promoter. Biochim Biophys Acta 1397: 247–252. , , , , , , .
- 1994. An SRY-related sequence on the marsupial X chromosome: implications for the evolution of the mammalian testis-determining gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 1927–1931. , .
- 1992. Evolution of sex determination and the Y chromosome: SRY-related sequences in marsupials. Nature 359: 531–533. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. A gene mapping to the sex-determining region of the mouse Y chromosome is a member of a novel family of embryonically expressed genes. Nature 346: 245–250. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of Sry, the mouse sex determining gene. Development 121: 1603–1614. , , , .
- 2000. SRY, SOX9, and DAX1 expression patterns during human sex determination and gonadal development. Mech Dev 91: 403–407. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Sox proteins and neural crest development. Semin Cell Dev Biol 16: 694–703. , .
- 2001. The human sex-determining gene SRY is a direct target of WT1. J Biol Chem 276: 16817–16823. , .
- 1995. Absence of Sry in species of the vole Ellobius. Nat Genet 11: 117–118. , , , , , , .
- 1999. A heuristic approach of maximum likelihood method for inferring phylogenetic tree and an application to the mammalian SOX-3 origin of the testis-determining gene SRY. FEBS Lett 463: 129–132. , .
- 2003. The dog genome: survey sequencing and comparative analysis. Science 301: 1898–1903. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Expression of a candidate sex-determining gene during mouse testis differentiation. Nature 348: 450–452. , , , , .
- 1991. Male development of chromosomally female mice transgenic for Sry. Nature 351: 117–121. , , , , .
- 1998. Identification of conserved potentially regulatory sequences of the SRY gene from 10 different species of mammals. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 245:370–377. , , , , , , .
- 2002a. The rise and fall of SRY. Trends Genet 18: 259–264. .
- 2002b. Evolution of the testis-determining gene- the rise and fall of SRY. The genetics and biology of sex determination. Chichester: Novartis Foundation Symposium 244, Wiley. p 86–101. .
- 2003. Sry and Sox9 expression during canine gonadal sex determination assayed by quantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. Mol Reprod Dev 65: 373–381. .
- 1995. Evaluation of tyrosinase minigene co-injection as a marker for genetic manipulations in transgenic mice. Nucleic Acids Res 23: 4551–4556. , , .
- 2003. Manipulating the mouse embryo: a laboratory manual. 3rd ed. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , , , .
- 1999. The promise of comparative genomics in mammals. Science 286: 458–462, 479–481. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction analysis of genes involved in gonadal differentiation in pigs. Biol Reprod 61: 741–748. , , .
- 1996. Characterization of ovine SRY transcript and developmental expression of genes involved in sexual differentiation. Int J Dev Biol 40: 567–575. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Porcine SRY promoter is a target for steroidogenic factor 1. Biol Reprod 68: 1098–1106. , , , , , , .
- 2004. SOX3 is required during the formation of the hypothalamo-pituitary axis. Nat Genet 36: 247–255. , , , , , .
- 2004. SOX9 is up-regulated by the transient expression of SRY specifically in Sertoli cell precursors. Dev Biol 274: 271–279. , , , , .
- 1990. A gene from the human sex-determining region encodes a protein with homology to a conserved DNA-binding motif. Nature 346: 240–244. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. FVB/N: an inbred mouse strain preferable for transgenic analyses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88: 2065–2069. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Rapid evolution of the sex determining locus in Old World mice and rats. Nature 364: 715–717. , .
- Mouse Genome Sequencing Consortium). 2002. Initial sequencing and comparative analysis of the mouse genome. Nature 420: 520–562. , et al. (
- 2003. Sox3 is required for gonadal function, but not sex determination, in males and females. Mol Cell Biol 23: 8084–8091. , , , , , .
- 1993. Rapid sequence evolution of the mammalian sex-determining gene SRY. Nature 364: 713–715. , , .
- 2005. Sertoli cell differentiation is induced both cell-autonomously and through prostaglandin signaling during mammalian sex determination. Dev Biol. Sep 22; [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , , , , , .