Asymmetric localization of numb in the chick somite and the influence of myogenic signals
Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 3, pages 633–645, March 2006
How to Cite
Holowacz, T., Zeng, L. and Lassar, A. B. (2006), Asymmetric localization of numb in the chick somite and the influence of myogenic signals. Dev. Dyn., 235: 633–645. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20672
- Issue online: 7 FEB 2006
- Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 NOV 2005
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: GM054879
- Foundation for Gene and Cell Therapy
- Canadian Institute for Health Research
- 1998. The importance of timing differentiation during limb muscle development. Curr Biol 8: 642–652. , , , .
- 1999. A molecular mechanism enabling continuous embryonic muscle growth - a balance between proliferation and differentiation. Development 126: 1041–1053. , , .
- 2002. The endocytic protein alpha-Adaptin is required for numb-mediated asymmetric cell division in Drosophila. Dev Cell 3: 221–231. , , , .
- 1999. Sonic hedgehog controls epaxial muscle determination through Myf5 activation. Development 126: 4053–4063. , , , , , .
- 1998. Inscuteable and numb mediate asymmetric muscle progenitor cell divisions during Drosophila myogenesis. Genes Dev 12: 304–315. , , , , .
- 1996. Cyclopia and defective axial patterning in mice lacking Sonic hedgehog gene function. Nature 383: 407–413. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Early stages of chick somite development. Anat Embryol (Berl) 191: 381–396. , .
- 2001. The sub-lip domain—a distinct pathway for myotome precursors that demonstrate rostral-caudal migration. Development 128: 341–351. , , , .
- 2002. The regulation of notch signaling controls satellite cell activation and cell fate determination in postnatal myogenesis. Dev Cell 3: 397–409. , .
- 1995. Notch1 is required for the coordinate segmentation of somites. Development 121: 1533–1545. , , .
- 2001. Hedgehog signalling is required for maintenance of myf5 and myoD expression and timely terminal differentiation in zebrafish adaxial myogenesis. Dev Biol 236: 136–150. , , , , , .
- 2003. Functional Notch signaling is required for BMP4-induced inhibition of myogenic differentiation. Development 130: 6089–6099. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Expression of a single transfected cDNA converts fibroblasts to myoblasts. Cell 51: 987–1000. , , .
- 1997. Conservation of the Notch signalling pathway in mammalian neurogenesis. Development 124: 1139–1148. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Delta 1-activated notch inhibits muscle differentiation without affecting Myf5 and Pax3 expression in chick limb myogenesis. Development 127: 5213–5224. , , , .
- 2001. Morphogenetic cell movements in the middle region of the dermomyotome dorsomedial lip associated with patterning and growth of the primary epaxial myotome. Development 128: 1745–1755. , , , .
- 1998. Sonic Hedgehog induces proliferation of committed skeletal muscle cells in the chick limb. Development 125: 495–505. , , .
- 1997. A role for Wnt proteins in induction of dermomyotome. Dev. Biol. 191: 160–165. , , .
- 1996. The Drosophila Numb protein inhibits signaling of the Notch receptor during cell-cell interaction in sensory organ lineage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 11925–11932. , , , , .
- 1991. Pax-3, a novel murine DNA binding protein expressed during early myogenesis. EMBO J 10: 1135–1147. , , , , .
- 2004. A two-step mechanism for myotome formation in chick. Dev Cell 6: 875–882. , , .
- 2005. A common somitic origin for embryonic muscle progenitors and satellite cells. Nature 435: 954–958. , , , .
- 1996. Control of daughter cell fates during asymmetric division: interaction of Numb and Notch. Neuron 17: 27–41. , , .
- 2002. Myf5 is a direct target of long-range Shh signaling and Gli regulation for muscle specification. Genes Dev 16: 114–126. , , , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1996. Isolation of a novel chick homolog of Serrate and its coexpression with C-Notch-1 in chick development. Int J Dev Biol 40: 1089–1096. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Maintenance of neuroepithelial progenitor cells by Delta-Notch signalling in the embryonic chick retina. Curr Biol 7: 661–670. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Noggin acts downstream of Wnt and Sonic Hedgehog to antagonize BMP4 in avian somite patterning. Development 124: 4605–4614. , , , , , .
- 2001. Notch signalling acts in postmitotic avian myogenic cells to control MyoD activation. Development 128: 107–116. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Maintenance of somite borders in mice requires the Delta homologue DII1. Nature 386: 717–721. , , .
- 1987. Adaptor Plasmids Simplify the Insertion of Foreign DNA into Helper-Independent Retroviral Vectors. J Virol 61: 3004–3012. , , , .
- 1998. Wnt signaling from the dorsal neural tube is required for the formation of the medial dermomyotome. Development 125: 4969–4976. , .
- 2001. The neural RNA-binding protein musashi1 translationally regulates mammalian numb gene expression by interacting with its mRNA. Mol Cell Biol 21: 3888–3900. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. The murine paired box gene, Pax7, is expressed specifically during the development of the nervous and muscular system. Mech Dev 33: 27–38. , , .
- 2002. The roles of cell migration and myofiber intercalation in patterning formation of the postmitotic myotome. Development 129: 2675–2687. , , .
- 1998. A histone deacetylase corepressor complex regulates the Notch signal transduction pathway. Genes Dev 12: 2269–2277. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Pax3/Pax7 mark a novel population of primitive myogenic cells during development. Genes Dev 19: 1426–1431. , , , , , .
- 2001. Myf-5 is transiently expressed in nonmuscle mesoderm and exhibits dynamic regional changes within the presegmented mesoderm and somites I-IV. Dev Biol 232: 77–90. , .
- 1994. The intracellular domain of mouse Notch: a constitutively activated repressor of myogenesis directed at the basic helix-loop-helix region of MyoD. Development 120: 2385–2396. , , .
- 2001. Sonic hedgehog is a survival factor for hypaxial muscles during mouse development. Development 128: 743–752. , , , , , .
- 1999. Delta-induced Notch signaling mediated by RBP-J inhibits MyoD expression and myogenesis. J Biol Chem 274: 7238–7244. , , , , , .
- 1989. An avian muscle factor related to MyoD1 activates muscle-specific promoters in nonmuscle cells of different germ-layer origin and in BrdU-treated myoblasts. Genes Dev 3: 986–996. , , , .
- 2003. Intrinsic signals regulate the initial steps of myogenesis in vertebrates. Development 130: 4797–4807. , , , .
- 1997. Isolation and functional analysis of a cDNA for human Jagged2, a gene encoding a ligand for the Notch1 receptor. Mol Cell Biol 17: 6057–6067. , , , , .
- 1997. Coordinate actions of BMPs, Wnts, Shh and noggin mediate patterning of the dorsal somite. Development 124: 3955–3963. , , .
- 1999. In vivo regulation of somite differentiation and proliferation by Sonic Hedgehog. Dev Biol 214: 277–287. , , .
- 1997. Ectopic Pax-3 activates MyoD and Myf-5 Expression in embryonic mesoderm and neural tissue. Cell 89: 139–148. , , , , , .
- 1998. Noggin-mediated antagonism of BMP signaling is required for growth and patterning of the neural tube and somite. Genes Dev 12: 1438–1452. , , , , , .
- 1996. Manipulating gene expression with replication-competent retroviruses. Methods Cell Biol 51: 185–218. , .
- 2000. Notch signaling: from the outside in. Dev Biol 228: 151–165. , .
- 1995. Combinatorial signaling by Sonic hedgehog and Wnt family members induces myogenic bHLH gene expression in the somite. Genes Dev 9: 2911–2922. , , , , .
- 1996. A chick homologue of Serrate and its relationship with Notch and Delta homologues during central neurogenesis. Dev Biol 174: 233–247. , , , .
- 2002. LNX functions as a RING type E3 ubiquitin ligase that targets the cell fate determinant Numb for ubiquitin-dependent degradation. EMBO J. 21: 93–102. , , , , ,
- 1999. Notch signaling imposes two distinct blocks in the differentiation of C2C12 myoblasts. Development 126: 1689–1702. , , , .
- 1995. Disruption of the mouse RBP-J kappa gene results in early embryonic death. Development 121: 3291–3301. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The dermomyotome dorsomedial lip drives growth and morphogenesis of both the primary myotome and dermomyotome epithelium. Development 128: 1731–1744. , , , .
- 2005. A Pax3/Pax7-dependent population of skeletal muscle progenitor cells. Nature 435: 948–953. , , , .
- 1998. Regulation of dorsal somitic fates: BMPs and Noggin control the timing and pattern of myogenic regulator expression. Genes Dev 12: 290–303. , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75: 1401–1416. , , , .
- 1993. MyoD or Myf-5 is required for the formation of skeletal muscle. Cell 75: 1351–1359. , , , , , .
- 1997. Segregation of myogenic lineages in Drosophila requires numb. Development 124: 4857–4866. , .
- 2000. Numb is an endocytic protein. J Cell Biol 151: 1345–1352. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Expression of two myogenic regulatory factors, myogenin and MyoD1, during mouse embryogenesis. Nature 341: 303–307. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Notch signaling inhibits muscle cell differentiation through a CBF1-independent pathway. Development 122: 3765–3773. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Numb antagonizes Notch signaling to specify sibling neuron cell fates. Neuron 17: 21–26. , .
- 1998. Detection of multiple gene products simultaneously by in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry in whole mounts of avian embryos. Curr Top Dev Biol 36: 223–243. .
- 1995. Myogenesis in paraxial mesoderm: preferential induction by dorsal neural tube and by cells expressing Wnt-1. Development 121: 3675–3686. , , .
- 2001. Regulation of myogenic terminal differentiation by the hairy-related transcription factor CHF2. J Biol Chem 276: 18591–18596. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Siah-1 binds and regulates the function of Numb. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 15067–15072. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The birth of muscle progenitor cells in the mouse: spatiotemporal considerations. Curr Top Dev Biol 48: 225–268. , .
- 1997. Redefining the genetic hierarchies controlling skeletal myogenesis: Pax-3 and myf-5 act upstream of MyoD. Cell 89: 127–138. , , , .
- 1998. Differential activation of Myf5 and MyoD by different Wnts in explants of mouse paraxial mesoderm and the later activation of myogenesis in the absence of Myf5. Development 125: 4155–4162. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The initial somitic phase of Myf5 expression requires neither Shh signaling nor Gli regulation. Genes Dev 17: 2870–2874. , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog is required for survival of both myogenic and chondrogenic somitic lineages. Development 125: 2019–2030. , , , , , .
- 1998. Somitogenesis controlled by Noggin. Dev Biol 202: 172–182. , .
- 2002. Persistent myogenic capacity of the dermomyotome dorsomedial lip and restriction of myogenic competence. Development 129: 3873–3885. , .
- 2005. Asymmetric cell divisions are concentrated in the dermomyotome dorsomedial lip during epaxial primary myotome morphogenesis. Anat Embryol (Berl) 209: 449–460. , .
- 1999. NUMB localizes in the basal cortex of mitotic avian neuroepithelial cells and modulates neuronal differentiation by binding to NOTCH-1. Neuron 23: 71–81. , , , .
- 1989. Activation of muscle-specific genes in pigment, nerve, fat, liver, and fibroblast cell lines by forced expression of MyoD. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86: 5434–5438. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Complementary and combinatorial patterns of Notch gene family expression during early mouse development. Mech Dev 53: 357–368. , , .
- 1999. Activated notch inhibits myogenic activity of the MADS-Box transcription factor myocyte enhancer factor 2C. Mol Cell Biol 19: 2853–2862. , , , .
- 1999. MyoD stimulates delta-1 transcription and triggers notch signaling in the Xenopus gastrula. EMBO J 18: 1915–1922. , , , , .
- 1997. Differential expression of mammalian Numb, Numblike and Notch1 suggests distinct roles during mouse cortical neurogenesis. Development 124: 1887–1897. , , , , .