Patterns & Phenotypes
Role of X-Delta-2 in the early neural development of Xenopus laevis
Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 3, pages 802–810, March 2006
How to Cite
Peres, J. N. and Durston, A. J. (2006), Role of X-Delta-2 in the early neural development of Xenopus laevis. Dev. Dyn., 235: 802–810. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20677
- Issue online: 7 FEB 2006
- Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 NOV 2005
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, Portugal. Grant Number: SFRH/BD/2794/2000
- EU HPRN programme
- EU Life Sciences, Genomics and Biotechnology for Health programme
- 1999. Notch signaling: cell fate control and signal integration in development. Science 284: 770–776. , , .
- 1997. The origins of the neural crest. II: an evolutionary perspective. Mech Dev 69: 13–29. , .
- 2001. Vertebrate cranial placodes I. Embryonic induction. Dev Biol 232: 1–61. , .
- 1995. Transient and restricted expression during mouse embryogenesis of Dll1, a murine gene closely related to Drosophila Delta. Development 121: 2407–2418. , , , , .
- 1993. The structure and expression of the Xenopus Krox-20 gene: conserved and divergent patterns of expression in rhombomeres and neural crest. Mech Dev 40: 73–84. , , , .
- 2004. Notch activation regulates the segregation and differentiation of rhombomere boundary cells in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Cell 6: 539–550. , , , , , .
- 1995. Primary neurogenesis in Xenopus embryos regulated by a homologue of the Drosophila neurogenic gene Delta. Nature 375: 761–766. , , , , .
- 2002. Disruption of segmental neural crest migration and ephrin expression in delta-1 null mice. Dev Biol 249: 121–130. , , , .
- 1997. Regulation of neuronal diversity in the Xenopus retina by Delta signalling. Nature 385: 67–70. , , , .
- 1997. Mouse Dll3: a novel divergent Delta gene which may complement the function of other Delta homologues during early pattern formation in the mouse embryo. Development 124: 3065–3076. , , , .
- 2001. Differential and overlapping expression patterns of X-dll3 and Pax-6 genes suggest distinct roles in olfactory system development of the African clawed frog Xenopus laevis. J Exp Biol 204: 2049–2061. , , , .
- 1994. Expression patterns of Hoxb genes in the Xenopus embryo suggest roles in anteroposterior specification of the hindbrain and in dorsoventral patterning of the mesoderm. Dev Biol 166: 465–476. , , , , , .
- 1998. Multiple delta genes and lateral inhibition in zebrafish primary neurogenesis. Development 125: 359–370. , , , , , .
- 1991. In situ hybridization: an improved whole-mount method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol 36: 685–695. .
- 1991. Cephalic expression and molecular characterization of Xenopus En-2. Development 111: 715–724. , , , .
- 1997. Xenopus Pax-6 and retinal development. J Neurobiol 32: 45–61. , .
- 2000. Xnkx-2.1: a homeobox gene expressed during early forebrain, lung and thyroid development in Xenopus laevis. Dev Genes Evol 210: 579–581. , .
- 1989. MyoD expression in the forming somites is an early response to mesoderm induction in Xenopus embryos. EMBO J 8: 3409–1711. , , .
- 1997. The Notch ligand, X-Delta-2, mediates segmentation of the paraxial mesoderm in Xenopus embryos. Development 124: 1169–1178. , , , , .
- 1999. Periodic repression of Notch pathway genes governs the segmentation of Xenopus embryos. Genes Dev 13: 1486–1499. , , , , .
- 1989. Spatial aspects of neural induction in Xenopus laevis. Development 107: 785–791. , .
- 2001. X-Serrate-1 is involved in primary neurogenesis in Xenopus laevis in a complementary manner with X-Delta-1. Dev Genes Evol 211: 367–376. , , , , , .
- 2004. Comparative analysis of neural crest cell death, migration, and function during vertebrate embryogenesis. Dev Dyn 229: 14–29. , , .
- 2004. Notch signaling: control of cell communication and cell fate. Development 131: 965–973. .
- 1996. The I.M.A.G.E. Consortium: an integrated molecular analysis of genomes and their expression. Genomics 33: 151–152. , , , .
- 2000. Relationship between gene expression domains of Xsnail, Xslug, and Xtwist and cell movement in the prospective neural crest of Xenopus. Dev Biol 224: 215–225. , , .
- 2005. The Notch-target gene hairy2a impedes the involution of notochordal cells by promoting floor plate fates in Xenopus embryos. Development 132: 1035–1046. , , , , .
- 1996. Identification of neurogenin, a vertebrate neuronal determination gene. Cell 87: 43–52. , , .
- 1993. Distinct elements of the xsna promoter are required for mesodermal and ectodermal expression. Development 119: 661–671. , , , .
- 1995. Induction of the prospective neural crest of Xenopus. Development 121: 767–777. , , .
- 2005. Knockdown of the complete Hox paralogous group 1 leads to dramatic hindbrain and neural crest defects. Development 132: 2861–2871. , , , , .
- 1996. A chick homologue of Serrate and its relationship with Notch and Delta homologues during central neurogenesis. Dev Biol 174: 233–247. , , , .
- 1956. Normal table of Xenopus laevis (Daudin). Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Company. , .
- 2002. Conservation of Pax 6 function and upstream activation by Notch signaling in eye development of frogs and flies. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 2020–2025. , , , , .
- 1991. Localization of a nervous system-specific class II beta-tubulin gene in Xenopus laevis embryos by whole-mount in situ hybridization. Int J Dev Biol 35: 399–405. , , .
- 1995. The Xenopus homologue of Otx2 is a maternal homeobox gene that demarcates and specifies anterior body regions. Development 121: 707–720. , , , , , , .
- 1998. The Xenopus Emx genes identify presumptive dorsal telencephalon and are induced by head organizer signals. Mech Dev 73: 73–83. , , , , , .
- 1993. Xenopus Distal-less related homeobox genes are expressed in the developing forebrain and are induced by planar signals. Development 117: 961–975. , .
- 2000. Ectopic Hoxa2 induction after neural crest migration results in homeosis of jaw elements in Xenopus. Development 127: 5367–5378. , , , .
- 1997. Cellular and molecular interactions in the development of the Xenopus olfactory system. Semin Cell Dev Biol 8: 171–179. , .
- 1990. A developmentally regulated, nervous system-specific gene in Xenopus encodes a putative RNA-binding protein. New Biol 2: 556–565. , , .
- 2004. A Notch feeling of somite segmentation and beyond. Dev Biol 265: 2–22. , , .
- 2004. Molecular anatomy of placode development in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol 271: 439–466. , .
- 2000. Development of neurogenic placodes in Xenopus laevis. J Comp Neurol 418: 121–146. , .
- 2000. Developmental expression of the Xenopus Nkx2–1 and Nkx2–4 genes. Mech Dev 96: 259–262. , , , , .
- 1994. Spatial and temporal expression of basic fibroblast growth factor (FGF-2) mRNA and protein in early Xenopus development. Mech Dev 48: 141–151. , .
- 1998. Thylacine 1 is expressed segmentally within the paraxial mesoderm of the Xenopus embryo and interacts with the Notch pathway. Development 125: 2041–2051. , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression pattern of a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor Xhairy2b during Xenopus laevis development. Dev Genes Evol 213: 407–411. , , .
- 1996. The Xenopus laevis homeobox gene Xgbx-2 is an early marker of anteroposterior patterning in the ectoderm. Mech Dev 54: 149–160. , , .
- 2004. The initiation of Hox gene expression in Xenopus laevis is controlled by Brachyury and BMP-4. Dev Biol 266: 123–137. , , .
- 2004. Early steps in the development of the forebrain. Dev Cell 6: 167–181. , .
- 1990. Mesodermal cell migration during Xenopus gastrulation. Dev Biol 142: 155–168. .