Patterns & Phenotypes
Comparative genomic and expression analysis of group B1 sox genes in zebrafish indicates their diversification during vertebrate evolution
Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 3, pages 811–825, March 2006
How to Cite
Okuda, Y., Yoda, H., Uchikawa, M., Furutani-Seiki, M., Takeda, H., Kondoh, H. and Kamachi, Y. (2006), Comparative genomic and expression analysis of group B1 sox genes in zebrafish indicates their diversification during vertebrate evolution. Dev. Dyn., 235: 811–825. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20678
- Issue online: 7 FEB 2006
- Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 NOV 2005
- The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan. Grant Numbers: 16013228, 16027229, 12CE2007, 17018025
- The Naito Foundation
- Japan Science and Technology Corporation
- 2003. Multipotent cell lineages in early mouse development depend on SOX2 function. Genes Dev 17: 126–140. , , , , , .
- 2000. Phylogeny of the SOX family of developmental transcription factors based on sequence and structural indicators. Dev Biol 227: 239–255. , , .
- 2003. Vertebrate neurogenesis is counteracted by Sox1–3 activity. Nat Neurosci 6: 1162–1168. , , , .
- 1996. A comparison of the properties of Sox-3 with Sry and two related genes, Sox-1 and Sox-2. Development 122: 509–520. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Neuronal migration and ventral subtype identity in the telencephalon depend on SOX1. PLoS Biol 3: e186. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Expression pattern of the Sox31 gene during zebrafish embryonic development. Mech Dev 100: 71–73. , , , .
- 2003. SOX2 functions to maintain neural progenitor identity. Neuron 39: 749–765. , , , .
- 1998. Determination of the zebrafish forebrain: induction and patterning. Development 125: 4403–4416. , , , .
- 2000. The HMG box transcription factor gene Sox14 marks a novel subset of ventral interneurons and is regulated by sonic hedgehog. Dev Biol 219: 142–153. , , , , , .
- 2004. FGF2 triggers iris-derived lens regeneration in newt eye. Mech Dev 121: 519–526. , , , , .
- 1998. Isolation and expression of a human SRY-related cDNA hSOX20. Biochim Biophys Acta 1396: 132–137. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The 2R hypothesis and the human genome sequence. J Struct Funct Genomics 3: 95–110. , , .
- 2000. Evolutionary conservation of the presumptive neural plate markers AmphiSox1/2/3 and AmphiNeurogenin in the invertebrate chordate amphioxus. Dev Biol 226: 18–33. , , , .
- 2001. Sox3 expression defines a common primordium for the epibranchial placodes in chick. Dev Biol 236: 344–353. , , .
- 1998. Involvement of Sox1, 2, and 3 in the early and subsequent molecular events of lens induction. Development 125: 2521–2532. , , , , .
- 1999. Mechanism of regulatory target selection by the SOX high-mobility-group domain proteins as revealed by comparison of SOX1/2/3 and SOX9. Mol Cell Biol 19: 107–120. , , .
- 2000. Pairing SOX off with partners in the regulation of embryonic development. Trends Genet 16: 182–187. , , .
- 2001. Pax6 and SOX2 form a co-DNA-binding partner complex that regulates initiation of lens development. Genes Dev 15: 1272–1286. , , , , .
- 1997. Anf: a novel class of vertebrate homeobox genes expressed at the anterior end of the main embryonic axis. Gene 200: 25–34. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. SpSoxB1, a maternally encoded transcription factor asymmetrically distributed among early sea urchin blastomeres. Development 126: 5473–5483. , , , , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 2000. Requirement of Sox2-mediated signaling for differentiation of early Xenopus neuroectoderm. Development 127: 791–800. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Origin and diversity of the SOX transcription factor gene family: genome-wide analysis in Fugu rubripes. Gene 328: 177–186. , , , .
- 1991. Expression of the zebrafish paired box gene pax[zf-b] during early neurogenesis. Development 113: 1193–1206. , , , .
- 2002. Chromosome assignment of eight SOX family genes in chicken. Cytogenet Genome Res 98: 189–193. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Ectopic Sox3 activity elicits sensory placode formation. Mech Dev 95: 175–187. , , .
- 2004. Sox15 is required for skeletal muscle regeneration. Mol Cell Biol 24: 8428–8436. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A series of no isthmus (noi) alleles of the zebrafish pax2.1 gene reveals multiple signaling events in development of the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development 125: 3049–3062. , .
- 2003. Sox1-deficient mice suffer from epilepsy associated with abnormal ventral forebrain development and olfactory cortex hyperexcitability. Neuroscience 119: 421–432. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Differential roles for Sox15 and Sox2 in transcriptional control in mouse embryonic stem cells. J Biol Chem 280: 24371–24379. , , , .
- 2005. Multiple N-cadherin enhancers identified by systematic functional screening indicate its Group B1 SOX-dependent regulation in neural and placodal development. Dev Biol 286: 601–617. , , , .
- 1998a. Xenopus Zic-related-1 and Sox-2, two factors induced by chordin, have distinct activities in the initiation of neural induction. Development 125: 579–587. , , , , .
- 1998b. SoxD: an essential mediator of induction of anterior neural tissues in Xenopus embryos. Neuron 21: 77–85. , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of zebrafish GATA 3 (gta3) during gastrulation and neurulation suggests a role in the specification of cell fate. Mech Dev 51: 169–182. , , , , .
- 1998. Sox1 directly regulates the γ-crystallin genes and is essential for lens development in mice. Genes Dev 12: 776–781. , , , , , .
- 2005. SOX genes and neural progenitor identity. Curr Opin Neurobiol 15: 7–13. , .
- 1998. A role for SOX1 in neural determination. Development 125: 1967–1978. , , , .
- 1997a. Dynamic expression of chicken Sox2 and Sox3 genes in ectoderm induced to form neural tissue. Dev Dyn 209: 323–332. , , , , , , .
- 1997b. cSox21 exhibits a complex and dynamic pattern of transcription during embryonic development of the chick central nervous system. Mech Dev 66: 39–53. , , , , .
- 2003. Sox15 is up regulated in the embryonic mouse testis. Gene Expr Patterns 3: 413–417. , , , .
- 2002. Twenty pairs of Sox: extent, homology, and nomenclature of the mouse and human Sox transcription factor gene families. Dev Cell 3: 167–170. , , .
- 2004. Molecular anatomy of placode development in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol 271: 439–466. , .
- 2002. Looking at embryos. In: Nusslein-VolhardC, DahmR, editors. Zebrafish. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p 39–58. .
- 1992. The protein product of the zebrafish homologue of the mouse T gene is expressed in nuclei of the germ ring and the notochord of the early embryo. Development 116: 1021–1032. , , , .
- 1997. Preventing the loss of competence for neural induction: HGF/SF, L5 and Sox-2. Development 124: 1191–1202. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Group B sox genes that contribute to specification of the vertebrate brain are expressed in the apical organ and ciliary bands of hemichordate larvae. Zool Sci 19: 57–66. , , , .
- 2004. Interplay of SOX and POU factors in regulation of the Nestin gene in neural primordial cells. Mol Cell Biol 24: 8834–8846. , , , , , .
- 2003. Genome duplication, a trait shared by 22000 species of ray-finned fish. Genome Res 13: 382–390. , , , , .
- 1999. Two distinct subgroups of Group B Sox genes for transcriptional activators and repressors: their expression during embryonic organogenesis of the chicken. Mech Dev 84: 103–120. , , .
- 2003. Functional analysis of chicken Sox2 enhancers highlights an array of diverse regulatory elements that are conserved in mammals. Dev Cell 4: 509–519. , , , , .
- 1995. Embryonic expression of the chicken Sox2, Sox3 and Sox11 genes suggests an interactive role in neuronal development. Mech Dev 49: 23–36. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Anterior movement of ventral diencephalic precursors separates the primordial eye field in the neural plate and requires cyclops. Development 126: 5533–5546. , , .
- 1999. From head to toes: the multiple facets of Sox proteins. Nucleic Acids Res 27: 1409–1420. .
- 1995. Order and coherence in the fate map of the zebrafish nervous system. Development 121: 2595–2609. , .
- 1999. Comparative expression of the mouse Sox1, Sox2 and Sox3 genes from pre-gastrulation to early somite stages. Mech Dev 86: 197–201. , .
- 2003. A genomewide survey of developmentally relevant genes in Ciona intestinalis. IV. Genes for HMG transcriptional regulators, bZip and GATA/Gli/Zic/Snail. Dev Genes Evol 213: 245–253. , , , , .
- 2003. The beta-catenin/VegT-regulated early zygotic gene Xnr5 is a direct target of SOX3 regulation. Development 130: 5609–5624. , , , .