Myostatin imposes reversible quiescence on embryonic muscle precursors
Article first published online: 19 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 3, pages 672–680, March 2006
How to Cite
Amthor, H., Otto, A., Macharia, R., McKinnell, I. and Patel, K. (2006), Myostatin imposes reversible quiescence on embryonic muscle precursors. Dev. Dyn., 235: 672–680. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20680
- Issue published online: 7 FEB 2006
- Article first published online: 19 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 NOV 2005
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. Grant Number: Am 151/2-1
- BBSRC. Grant Number: BBS/S/A/2004/11020
- 1998. The importance of timing differentiation during limb muscle development. Curr Biol 8: 642–652. , , , .
- 1999. A molecular mechanism enabling continuous embryonic muscle growth: a balance between proliferation and differentiation. Development 126: 1041–1053. , , .
- 2002. The regulation and action of myostatin as a negative regulator of muscle development during avian embryogenesis. Dev Biol 251: 241–257. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Follistatin complexes Myostatin and antagonises Myostatin-mediated inhibition of myogenesis. Dev Biol 270: 19-30. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of CD34 and Myf5 defines the majority of quiescent adult skeletal muscle satellite cells. J Cell Biol 151: 1221–1234. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The formation of skeletal muscle: from somite to limb. J Anat 202: 59–68. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Fibroblast growth factors induce additional limb development from the flank of chick embryos. Cell 80: 739–746. , , , , .
- 2005. A common somitic origin for embryonic muscle progenitors and satellite cells. Nature 435: 954–958. , , , .
- 1992. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. Dev Dyn 195: 231-272. , .
- 2005. Pax3/Pax7 mark a novel population of primitive myogenic cells during development. Genes Dev 19: 1426–1431 , , , , , .
- 2002. Myostatin inhibits myoblast differentiation by down-regulating MyoD expression. J Biol Chem 277: 49831–49840. , , , , , .
- 2003. Myostatin negatively regulates satellite cell activation and self-renewal. J Cell Biol 162: 1135–1147. , , , , .
- 1997. Regulation of skeletal muscle mass in mice by a new TGF-beta superfamily member. Nature 387: 83–90. , , .
- 1996. In situ hybridization analysis of chick embryos in whole mount and tissue sections. Methods Cell Biol 51: 219–235. , , .
- 2004. Pax-7 up-regulation inhibits myogenesis and cell cycle progression in satellite cells: a potential mechanism for self-renewal. Dev Biol 275: 375–388. , .
- 2004. Pax7 directs postnatal renewal and propagation of myogenic satellite cells but not their specification. Embo J 23: 3430–3439. , , .
- 1995. Radiation inhibition of mdx mouse muscle regeneration: dose and age factors. Muscle Nerve 18: 201–206. , , , , , .
- 1997. Regeneration-blocked mdx muscle: in vivo model for testing treatments. Muscle Nerve 20: 1016–1023. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Divergent functions of murine Pax3 and Pax7 in limb muscle development. Genes Dev 18: 1088–1105. , , , .
- 2000. Pax7 is required for the specification of myogenic satellite cells. Cell 102: 777–786. , , , , , .
- 2004. Muscle satellite cells adopt divergent fates: a mechanism for self-renewal? J Cell Biol 166: 347–357. , , , , , .