In Drosophila, don juan and don juan like encode proteins of the spermatid nucleus and the flagellum and both are regulated at the transcriptional level by the TAFII80 cannonball while translational repression is achieved by distinct elements
Version of Record online: 13 FEB 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Campos-Ortega Special Focus
Volume 235, Issue 4, pages 1053–1064, April 2006
How to Cite
Hempel, L. U., Rathke, C., Raja, S. J. and Renkawitz-Pohl, R. (2006), In Drosophila, don juan and don juan like encode proteins of the spermatid nucleus and the flagellum and both are regulated at the transcriptional level by the TAFII80 cannonball while translational repression is achieved by distinct elements. Dev. Dyn., 235: 1053–1064. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20698
- Issue online: 10 MAR 2006
- Version of Record online: 13 FEB 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 DEC 2005
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. Grant Numbers: Re 628/12-2, GRK 767
- 2002. A new translational repression element and unusual transcriptional control regulate expression of don juan during Drosophila spermatogenesis. Mech Dev 110: 97–112. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Meiotic cell cycle requirement for a fly homologue of human deleted in Azoospermia. Nature 381: 783–785. , , .
- 1998. Genetic dissection of sperm individualization in Drosophila melanogaster. Development 125: 1833–1843. , , , .
- 1993. Spermatogenesis. In: BateM, Martinez-AriasA, editors. The development of Drosophila melanogaster, Vol. I. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. p 71–147. .
- 2004. Molecular mechanisms of translational control. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 5: 827–835. , .
- 1997. Involvement of a tissue-specific RNA recognition motif protein in Drosophila spermatogenesis. Mol Cell Biol 17: 2708–2715. , , , .
- 1996. Association of RB97D, an RRM protein required for male fertility, with a Y chromosome lampbrush loop in Drosophila spermatocytes. Chromosoma 105: 285–292. , .
- 1995. Translational regulation: versatile mechanisms for metabolic and developmental control. Curr Opin Cell Biol 7: 393–398. .
- 2001. Developmental regulation of transcription by a tissue-specific TAF homolog. Genes Dev 15: 1021–1030. , , , .
- 2004. Testis-specific TAF homologs collaborate to control a tissue-specific transcription program. Development 131: 5297–5308. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Assembly of ring canals in the male germ line from structural components of the contractile ring. J Cell Sci 109: 2779–2788. , , .
- 2003. Diversified transcription initiation complexes expand promoter selectivity and tissue-specific gene expression. Genes Dev 17: 1309–1320. , .
- 2004. The Drosophila hnRNA/B homolog, Hrp48, is specifically required for a distinct step on osk mRNA localisation. Dev Cell 6: 625–635. , , , , .
- 1989. Improved predictions of secondary structures for RNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 7706–7710. , , .
- 2005. Replacement by Drosophila melanogaster protamines and Mst77F of histones during chromatin condensation in late spermatids and role of sesame in the removal of these proteins from the male pronucleus. Mol Cell Biol 25: 6165–6177. , .
- 1993. The Rb97D gene encodes a potential RNA-binding protein required for spermatogenesis in Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res 21: 2229–2235. , .
- 1993. Gene regulation in Drosophila spermatogenesis: analysis of protein binding at the translational control element TCE. Dev Genet 14: 449–459. , , .
- 2003. Patterns, mechanisms, and functions of translation regulation in mammalian spermatogenic cells. Cytogenet Genome Res 103: 217–224. .
- 2003. The power of the 3′ UTR: translational control and development. Nat Rev Genet 4: 626–637. , .
- 1988. Cis-acting regions sufficient for spermatocyte-specific transcriptional and spermatid-specific translational control of the Drosophila melanogaster gene mst(3)gl-9. Embo J 7: 447–454. , , .
- 1992. The Drosophila orb gene is predicted to encode sex-specific germline RNA-binding proteins and has localized transcripts in ovaries and early embryos. Development 115: 75–78. , , .
- 1993. An 18 bp element in the 5′ untranslated region regulates the level of the Drosophila β 2 tubulin mRNA during postmeiotic stages of spermatogenesis. Eur J Cell Biol 62: 66–74. , , .
- 1998. IRP-1 binding to ferritin mRNA prevents the recruitment of the small ribosomal subunit by the cap-binding complex eIF4F. Mol Cell 2: 383–388. , , .
- 2003. Location of the actual signal in the negatively charged leader sequence involved in the import into the mitochondrial matrix space. J Biol Chem 278: 13712–13718. , , , , .
- 1992. A knowledge base for predicting protein localization sites in eukaryotic cells. Genomics 14: 897–911. , .
- 1965. Autoradiographic study of nucleic acid synthesis during spermatogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Mutat Res 2: 366–380. , .
- 2003. Starting the protein synthesis machine: eukaryotic translation initiation. BioEssays 25: 1201–1211. , .
- 2005. Spermatogenesis. In: GilbertLI, IatrouK, GillS, editors. Comprehensive insect physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology and molecular biology, Vol. 1. Oxford: Elsevier Ltd. p 157–178. , , , .
- 1997. The Drosophila don juan (dj) gene encodes a novel sperm specific protein component characterized by an unusual domain of a repetitive amino acid motif. Mech Dev 64: 19–30. , , , .
- 1998. Flagellar mitochondrial association of the male-specific Don Juan protein in Drosophila spermatozoa. J Cell Sci 111: 3299–3309. , , , .
- 2000. The initiator element of the Drosophila β2 tubulin gene core promoter contributes to gene expression in vivo but is not required for male germ line specific expression. Nucleic Acids Res 28: 1439–1446. , , , .
- 1990. A conserved element in the leader mediates post-meiotic translation as well as cytoplasmic polyadenylation of a Drosophila spermatocyte mRNA. EMBO J 9: 4519–4525. , , , .
- 1995. Translational control in spermatogenesis. Dev Biol 172: 344–352. , , .
- 1997. Specific binding of a 47-kilodalton protein to the 3′ untranslated region of rat transition protein 2 messenger ribonucleic acid. Biol Reprod 56: 697–706. , , , .
- 1997. A specific RNA hairpin loop structure binds the RNA recognition motifs of Drosophila SR protein B52. Mol Cell Biol 17: 2649–2657. , , .
- 1989. A nonradioactive in situ hybridization method for the localisation of specific RNAs in Drosophila embryos reveals a translational control of the segmentation gene hunchback. Chromosoma 89: 81–85. , .
- 1993. The IRE (iron regulatory element) family: structures which regulate mRNA translation or stability. BioFactors 4: 87–93. .
- 1988. Vectors for the Drosophila P-element mediated transformation and tissue culture transfection. Gene 7: 445–456. , , .
- 1972. Dynamics of spermiogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. II. Coiling process. Z Zellforsch Mikrosk Anat 127: 492–525. , , .
- 1994. Coaxial stacking of helixes enhances binding of oligoribonucleotides and improves predictions of RNA folding. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 9218–9222. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Transcriptional and post-transcriptional control mechanisms co-ordinate the onset of spermatid differentiation with meiosis I in Drosophila. Development 125: 125–134. , , , .
- 1995. Expression of the dihydroorotate dehydrogenase gene, dhod, during spermatogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet 246: 334–341. , , .
- 1990. Transcriptional and translational cis-regulatory sequences of the spermatocyte-specific Drosophila janusB gene are located in the 3′ exonic region of the overlapping janusA gene. Mol Gen Genet 224: 450–458. , .
- 1999. Algorithms and thermodynamics for RNA secondary structure prediction: a practical guide. In: BarciszewikiJ, ClarkBFC, editors. RNA biochemistry and biotechnology, NATO ASI Series. Dordrecht: Kluwer AcademicPress. p 11–43. , , .