Patterns & Phenotypes
Dlk1 expression marks developing endothelium and sites of branching morphogenesis in the mouse embryo and placenta
Version of Record online: 2 FEB 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Campos-Ortega Special Focus
Volume 235, Issue 4, pages 1115–1123, April 2006
How to Cite
Yevtodiyenko, A. and Schmidt, J. V. (2006), Dlk1 expression marks developing endothelium and sites of branching morphogenesis in the mouse embryo and placenta. Dev. Dyn., 235: 1115–1123. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20705
- Issue online: 10 MAR 2006
- Version of Record online: 2 FEB 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JAN 2006
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: HD042013
- 1996. Mouse fetal antigen 1 (mFA1), the circulating gene product of mdlk, pref-1 and SCP-1: isolation, characterization and biology. J Reprod Fertil 107: 279–285. , , , , .
- 1998. Modulated expression of the epidermal growth factor-like homeotic protein dlk influences stromal-cell-pre-B-cell interactions, stromal cell adipogenesis, and pre-B-cell interleukin-7 requirements. Mol Cell Biol 18: 5247–5255. , , , , .
- 1997. Growth hormone and prolactin stimulate the expression of rat preadipocyte factor-1/delta-like protein in pancreatic islets: molecular cloning and expression pattern during development and growth of the endocrine pancreas. Endocrinology 138: 3940–3948. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Polar overdominance at the ovine callipyge locus. Science 273: 236–238. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Genetic insights into trophoblast differentiation and placental morphogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol 11: 105–113. .
- 1988. Two fetal antigens (FA-1 and FA-2) and endometrial proteins (PP12 and PP14) isolated from amniotic fluid; preliminary observations in fetal and maternal tissues. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 29: 73–85. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Does fetal antigen 1 (FA1) identify cells with regenerative, endocrine and neuroendocrine potentials? A study of FA1 in embryonic, fetal, and placental tissue and in maternal circulation. Differentiation 66: 49–59. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression, biosynthesis and release of preadipocyte factor-1/delta-like protein/fetal antigen-1 in pancreatic beta-cells: possible physiological implications. J Endocrinol 176: 257–266. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Adipocyte differentiation is modulated by secreted delta-like (dlk) variants and requires the expression of membrane-associated dlk. Differentiation 64: 103–114. , , , , .
- 2001. Roles for genomic imprinting and the zygotic genome in placental development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 4522–4527. , , , .
- 2002. Comparative developmental anatomy of the murine and human definitive placentae. Placenta 23: 3–19. , , .
- 1999. Elevated serum levels of fetal antigen 1, a member of the epidermal growth factor superfamily, in patients with small cell lung cancer. Tumour Biol 20: 256–262. , , , .
- 1993. Studies on the isolation, structural analysis and tissue localization of fetal antigen 1 and its relation to a human adrenal-specific cDNA, pG2. Hum Reprod 8: 635–641. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Protein structure of fetal antigen 1 (FA1). A novel circulating human epidermal-growth-factor-like protein expressed in neuroendocrine tumors and its relation to the gene products of dlk and pG2. Eur J Biochem 225: 83–92. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A role for pref-1 and HES-1 in thymocyte development. J Immunol 164: 256–264. , , , , , .
- 2000. Mouse Peg9/Dlk1 and human PEG9/DLK1 are paternally expressed imprinted genes closely located to the maternally expressed imprinted genes: mouse Meg3/Gtl2 and human MEG3. Genes Cells 5: 1029–1037. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. dlk, a putative mammalian homeotic gene differentially expressed in small cell lung carcinoma and neuroendocrine tumor cell line. J Biol Chem 268: 3817–3820. , , , .
- 1996. Fetal antigen 1 and growth hormone in pituitary somatotroph cells. Lancet 347: 191. , , , , , .
- 2003. Tube morphogenesis: making and shaping biological tubes. Cell 112: 19–28. , .
- 2002. Only the large soluble form of preadipocyte factor-1 (Pref-1), but not the small soluble and membrane forms, inhibits adipocyte differentiation: role of alternative splicing. Biochem J 364: 137–144. , , , .
- 2002. Mice lacking paternally expressed Pref-1/Dlk1 display growth retardation and accelerated adiposity. Mol Cell Biol 22: 5585–5592. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Genomic imprinting in mammalian development: a parental tug-of-war. Trends Genet 7: 45–49. , .
- 1997. Hematopoietic activity of a stromal cell transmembrane protein containing epidermal growth factor-like repeat motifs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 4011–4016. , , , , .
- 2005. Abnormal postnatal maintenance of elevated DLK1 transcript levels in callipyge sheep. Mamm Genome 16: 171–183. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. PECAM-1 (CD31) cloning and relation to adhesion molecules of the immunoglobulin gene superfamily. Science 247: 1219–1222. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Zona glomerulosa-specific factor: cloning and function. Steroids 62: 73–76. , , , .
- 1981. Review article: trophoblast invasion and the establishment of haemochorial placentation in man and laboratory animals. Placenta 2: 71–91. , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of supply and demand for maternal nutrients in mammals by imprinted genes. J Physiol 547: 35–44. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The labyrinthine placenta. Nat Genet 25: 248–250. , .
- 2001. Placental development: lessons from mouse mutants. Nat Rev Genet 2: 538–548. , .
- 2000. The Dlk1 and Gtl2 genes are linked and reciprocally imprinted. Genes Dev 14: 1997–2002. , , , , .
- 2002. Pituitary development: regulatory codes in mammalian organogenesis. Science 295: 2231–2235. , .
- 1999. Early steps in pituitary organogenesis. Trends Genet 15: 236–240. , .
- 2004. Placental-specific insulin-like growth factor 2 (Igf2) regulates the diffusional exchange characteristics of the mouse placenta. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 8204–8208. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Pref-1, a protein containing EGF-like repeats, inhibits adipocyte differentiation. Cell 73: 725–734. , .
- 1994. Structural characterization and alternate splicing of the gene encoding the preadipocyte EGF-like protein pref-1. Biochemistry 33: 9257–9265. , , .
- 1997. Cleavage of membrane-associated pref-1 generates a soluble inhibitor of adipocyte differentiation. Mol Cell Biol 17: 977–988. , , .
- 2000. Delta-like and Gtl2 are reciprocally expressed, differentially methylated linked imprinted genes on mouse chromosome 12. Curr Biol 10: 1135–1138. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Formation of Rathke's pouch requires dual induction from the diencephalon. Development 125: 4835–4840. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. FA1 immunoreactivity in endocrine tumours and during development of the human fetal pancreas; negative correlation with glucagon expression. Histochem Cell Biol 106: 535–542. , , , .
- 2000. SAGE analysis of neuroblastoma reveals a high expression of the human homologue of the Drosophila Delta gene. Med Pediatr Oncol 35: 554–558. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Monoclonal antibodies specific for endothelial cells of mouse blood vessels. Their application in the identification of adult and embryonic endothelium. Eur J Cell Biol 63: 247–254. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The molecular basis of lung morphogenesis. Mech Dev 92: 55–81. , , , , , .