Apical localization of ASIP/PAR-3:EGFP in zebrafish neuroepithelial cells involves the oligomerization domain CR1, the PDZ domains, and the C-terminal portion of the protein
Article first published online: 21 FEB 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Campos-Ortega Special Focus
Volume 235, Issue 4, pages 967–977, April 2006
How to Cite
von Trotha, J. W., Campos-Ortega, J. A. and Reugels, A. M. (2006), Apical localization of ASIP/PAR-3:EGFP in zebrafish neuroepithelial cells involves the oligomerization domain CR1, the PDZ domains, and the C-terminal portion of the protein. Dev. Dyn., 235: 967–977. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20715
- Issue published online: 10 MAR 2006
- Article first published online: 21 FEB 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JAN 2006
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG). Grant Number: SFB 572
- Fonds der Chemischen Industrie
- 2003. Control of cell polarity and mitotic spindle positioning in animal cells. Curr Opin Cell Biol 15: 73–81. .
- 2005. Heterotrimeric G proteins and regulation of size asymmetry during cell division. Curr Opin Cell Biol 17: 658–663. , .
- 2003a. A conserved oligomerization domain in Drosophila Bazooka/PAR-3 is important for apical localization and epithelial polarity. Curr Biol 13: 1330–1334. , .
- 2003b. Drosophila PAR-1 and 14-3-3 inhibit Bazooka/PAR-3 to establish complementary cortical domains in polarized cells. Cell 115: 691–704. , .
- 2004. Dare to be different: asymmetric cell division in Drosophila, C. elegans and vertebrates. Curr Biol 14: R674–R685. , .
- 2004. Comprehensive proteomic analysis of human Par protein complexes reveals an interconnected protein network. J Biol Chem 279: 12804–12811. , , , , .
- 2005. Par-3 controls tight junction assembly through the Rac exchange factor Tiam1. Nat Cell Biol 7: 262–269. , .
- 1995. Control of cleavage spindle orientation in Caenorhabditis elegans: the role of the genes par-2 and par-3. Genetics 139: 549–559. , , .
- 1998. Oriented cell divisions and cellular morphogenesis in the zebrafish gastrula and neurula: a time-lapse analysis. Development 125: 983–994. , .
- 1999. Confocal microscopic analysis of morphogenetic movements. Methods Cell Biol 59: 179–204. , , .
- 2001. Asymmetric cell division: fly neuroblast meets worm zygote. Curr Opin Cell Biol 13: 68–75. , .
- 1991. The prospero gene specifies cell fates in the Drosophila central nervous system. Cell 65: 451–464. , , , .
- 2005. PAR-3 defines a central subdomain of the cortical actin cap in mouse eggs. Dev Biol 280: 38–47. , , , .
- 2001. The cell polarity protein ASIP/PAR-3 directly associates with junctional adhesion molecule (JAM). EMBO J 20: 3738–3748. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The junctional adhesion molecule (JAM) family members JAM-2 and JAM-3 associate with the cell polarity protein PAR-3: a possible role for JAMs in endothelial cell polarity. J Cell Sci 116: 3879–3891. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Junctional adhesion molecules (JAMs): more molecules with dual functions? J Cell Sci 117: 19–29. , , , .
- 1995. Asymmetrically distributed PAR-3 protein contributes to cell polarity and spindle alignment in early C. elegans embryos. Cell 83: 743–752. , , .
- 2003. Cell polarity: Par6, aPKC and cytoskeletal crosstalk. Curr Opin Cell Biol 15: 67–72. , .
- 2003. A 90-degree rotation of the mitotic spindle changes the orientation of mitoses of zebrafish neuroepithelial cells. Development 130: 3767–3780. , , , .
- 2004. Planar cell polarity signalling controls cell division orientation during zebrafish gastrulation. Nature 430: 689–693. , , .
- 2005. The positioning and segregation of apical cues during epithelial polarity establishment in Drosophila. J Cell Biol 170: 813–823. , .
- 2003. Cell polarity: the ups and downs of the Par6/aPKC complex. Curr Opin Genet Dev 13: 341–350. , .
- 1995. Asymmetric segregation of the homeodomain protein Prospero during Drosophila development. Nature 377: 627–630. , , , .
- 1992. Mechanisms of asymmetric cell division: two Bs or not two Bs, that is the question. Cell 68: 237–255. , .
- 1997. Miranda directs Prospero to a daughter cell during Drosophila asymmetric divisions. Nature 390: 625–629. , , , , .
- 2001. Junctional adhesion molecule (JAM) binds to PAR-3: a possible mechanism for the recruitment of PAR-3 to tight junctions. J Cell Biol 154: 491–497. , , , , , .
- 1998. An atypical PKC directly associates and colocalizes at the epithelial tight junction with ASIP, a mammalian homologue of Caenorhabditis elegans polarity protein PAR-3. J Cell Biol 143: 95–106. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The cell-polarity protein Par6 links Par3 and atypical protein kinase C to Cdc42. Nat Cell Biol 2: 531–539. , , , .
- 2000. Rotation and asymmetry of the mitotic spindle direct asymmetric cell division in the developing central nervous system. Nat Cell Biol 2: 7–12. , , , .
- 1988. Identification of genes required for cytoplasmic localization in early C. elegans embryos. Cell 52: 311–320. , , , .
- 1986. Tissue-specific cell lineages originate in the gastrula of zebrafish. Science 231: 365–368. , .
- 1994. Cell cycles and clonal strings during formation of the zebrafish central nervous system. Development 120: 265–276. , , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 2001. Asymmetric cell division during animal development. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2: 11–20. .
- 1995. Asymmetric segregation of Numb and Prospero during cell division. Nature 377: 624–627. , , .
- 2004. Asymmetric distribution of the apical plasma membrane during neurogenic divisions of mammalian neuroepithelial cells. EMBO J 23: 2314–2324. , , , , , .
- 1996. inscuteable, a neural precursor gene of Drosophila, encodes a candidate for a cytoskeleton adaptor protein. Dev Biol 174: 65–81. , .
- 1996. Role of inscuteable in orienting asymmetric cell divisions in Drosophila. Nature 383: 50–55. , , , , .
- 1998. Control of spindle orientation in Drosophila by the Par-3-related PDZ-domain protein Bazooka. Curr Biol 8: 1357–1365. , , .
- 2000. A mammalian PAR-3-PAR-6 complex implicated in Cdc42/Rac1 and aPKC signalling and cell polarity. Nat Cell Biol 2: 540–547. , , , , , .
- 1998. Partner of Numb colocalizes with Numb during mitosis and directs Numb asymmetric localization in Drosophila neural and muscle progenitors. Cell 95: 225–235. , , , .
- 1998. Junctional adhesion molecule, a novel member of the immunoglobulin superfamily that distributes at intercellular junctions and modulates monocyte transmigration. J Cell Biol 142: 117–127. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The Rac activator Tiam1 controls tight junction biogenesis in keratinocytes through binding to and activation of the Par polarity complex. J Cell Biol 170: 1029–1037. , , , , .
- 2003. Self-association of PAR-3-mediated by the conserved N-terminal domain contributes to the development of epithelial tight junctions. J Biol Chem 278: 31240–31250. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Leukocyte-endothelial-cell interactions in leukocyte transmigration and the inflammatory response. Trends Immunol 24: 327–334. .
- 2004. Roles of nectins in cell adhesion, migration and polarization. Biol Chem 385: 885–892. , .
- 2004. Role of the PAR-3-KIF3 complex in the establishment of neuronal polarity. Nat Cell Biol 6: 328–334. , , , , , .
- 2005. PAR-6-PAR-3 mediates Cdc42-induced Rac activation through the Rac GEFs STEF/Tiam1. Nat Cell Biol 7: 270–277. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Intercellular junctions and cellular polarity: the PAR-aPKC complex, a conserved core cassette playing fundamental roles in cell polarity. Curr Opin Cell Biol 13: 641–648. .
- 1994. On the formation of neural keel and neural tube in the zebrafisch Danio (Brachydanio rerio) rerio. Rouxs Arch Dev Biol 203: 178–186. , .
- 1997. A clonal analysis of spinal cord development in the zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol 207: 71–81. , .
- 2001. A zebrafish histone variant H2A.F/Z and a transgenic H2A.F/Z:GFP fusion protein for in vivo studies of embryonic development. Dev Genes Evol 211: 603–610. , , .
- 2001. DmPAR-6 directs epithelial polarity and asymmetric cell division of neuroblasts in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol 3: 43–49. , .
- 2006. Asymmetric localization of Numb:EGFP in dividing neuroepithelial cells during neurulation in Danio rerio. Dev Dyn (DOI10.1002/dvdy.20699). , , , .
- 1994. Asymmetric distribution of numb protein during division of the sensory organ precursor cell confers distinct fates to daughter cells. Cell 76: 477–491. , , .
- 2004. Asymmetric cell division. Curr Opin Cell Biol 16: 195–205. , .
- 2005. G protein betagamma subunits and AGS3 control spindle orientation and asymmetric cell fate of cerebral cortical progenitors. Cell 122: 119–131. , .
- 1993. Neurulation in the anterior trunk region of the zebrafish Brachydanio rerio. Rouxs Arch Dev Biol 202: 250–259. , , .
- 1999. Bazooka recruits Inscuteable to orient asymmetric cell divisions in Drosophila neuroblasts. Nature 402: 548–551. , , .
- 1998. Miranda mediates asymmetric protein and RNA localization in the developing nervous system. Genes Dev 12: 1847–1857. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Miranda is required for the asymmetric localization of Prospero during mitosis in Drosophila. Cell 90: 449–458. , , .
- 1995. The prospero transcription factor is asymmetrically localized to the cell cortex during neuroblast mitosis in Drosophila. Development 121: 3187–3195. , .
- 2001. Atypical protein kinase C is involved in the evolutionarily conserved par protein complex and plays a critical role in establishing epithelia-specific junctional structures. J Cell Biol 152: 1183–1196. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. aPKC kinase activity is required for the asymmetric differentiation of the premature junctional complex during epithelial cell polarization. J Cell Sci 115: 3565–3573. , , , , , .
- 2003. Direct binding of cell polarity protein PAR-3 to cell–cell adhesion molecule nectin at neuroepithelial cells of developing mouse. J Biol Chem 278: 5497–5500. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of achaete-scute homolog 3 in Xenopus embryos converts ectodermal cells to a neural fate. Genes Dev 8: 1434–1447. , .
- 1989. numb, a gene required in determination of cell fate during sensory organ formation in Drosophila embryos. Cell 58: 349–360. , , , , .
- 1991. prospero is expressed in neuronal precursors and encodes a nuclear protein that is involved in the control of axonal outgrowth in Drosophila. Cell 67: 941–953. , , , , , .
- 2005. Direct association of Bazooka/PAR-3 with the lipid phosphatase PTEN reveals a link between the PAR/aPKC complex and phosphoinositide signaling. Development 132: 1675–1686. , , , , .
- 2004. The zebrafish Pard3 ortholog is required for separation of the eye fields and retinal lamination. Dev Biol 269: 286–301. , , , , , .
- 1994. The zebrafish book - a guide for laboratory use of the zebrafish (Brachydanio rerio). Eugene: University of Oregon Press. .
- 2005. Molecular control of cell polarity and asymmetric cell division in Drosophila neuroblasts. Curr Opin Cell Biol 17: 475–481. .
- 2003. Asymmetric cell division during neurogenesis in Drosophila and vertebrates. Mech Dev 120: 1297–1309. , .
- 1999. Bazooka provides an apical cue for Inscuteable localization in Drosophila neuroblasts. Nature 402: 544–547. , , , .
- 2000. Drosophila atypical protein kinase C associates with Bazooka and controls polarity of epithelia and neuroblasts. J Cell Biol 150: 1361–1374. , , , .
- 2005. Mammalian inscuteable regulates spindle orientation and cell fate in the developing retina. Neuron 48: 539–545. , , , , , , , , , , .