Reviews–A Peer Reviewed Forum
Comparative ontogeny and phylogeny of the upper jaw skeleton in amniotes
Article first published online: 22 FEB 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Craniofacial Development Special Issue
Volume 235, Issue 5, pages 1230–1243, May 2006
How to Cite
Richman, J. M., Buchtová, M. and Boughner, J. C. (2006), Comparative ontogeny and phylogeny of the upper jaw skeleton in amniotes. Dev. Dyn., 235: 1230–1243. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20716
- Issue published online: 19 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 22 FEB 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JAN 2006
- Canadian Institutes of Health
- 2004. Bmp4 and morphological variation of beaks in Darwin's finches. Science 305: 1462–1465. , , , , .
- 2003. Dissimilar regulation of cell differentiation in mesencephalic (cranial) and sacral (trunk) neural crest cells in vitro. Development 130: 4567–4579. , , , .
- 1999. Inhibition of sonic hedgehog signaling in vivo results in craniofacial neural crest cell death. Curr Biol 9: 1304–1314. , .
- 2002. Endogenous bone morphogenetic proteins regulate outgrowth and epithelial survival during avian lip fusion. Development 129: 4647–4660. , , .
- 1991. A model for development and evolution of complex morphological structures. Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc 66: 101–157. , .
- 1988. Relative growth rates of maxillary mesenchyme in the chick embryo. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 8: 167–177. , , .
- 1997. Early- and late-migrating cranial neural crest cell populations have equivalent developmental potential in vivo. Development 124: 3077–3087. , , , .
- 1999. Expression of chick Barx-1 and its differential regulation by FGF-8 and BMP signaling in the maxillary primordia. Dev Dyn 214: 291–302. , , , .
- 1997. Ectopic application of recombinant BMP-2 and BMP-4 can change patterning of developing chick facial primordia. Development 124: 391–398. , .
- 2002. Jaw transformation with gain of symmetry after Dlx5/Dlx6 inactivation: mirror of the past? Genesis 34: 221–227. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Inactivation of the beta-catenin gene by Wnt1-Cre-mediated deletion results in dramatic brain malformation and failure of craniofacial development. Development 128: 1253–1264. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Phylogenetic position of turtles among amniotes: evidence from mitochondrial and nuclear genes. Gene 259: 139–148. , , , , .
- 1988. Vertebrate paleontology and evolution. New York: W.H. Freeman. .
- 2005. Wnt9b plays a central role in the regulation of mesenchymal to epithelial transitions underlying organogenesis of the mammalian urogenital system. Dev Cell 9: 283–292. , , , , .
- 2004. Developmental origins and evolution of jaws: new interpretation of “maxillary” and “mandibular”. Dev Biol 276: 225–236. , , , , , .
- 2004. Temporal perturbations in sonic hedgehog signaling elicit the spectrum of holoprosencephaly phenotypes. J Clin Invest 114: 485–494. , , , , , .
- 2002. Interactions between Hox-negative cephalic neural crest cells and the foregut endoderm in patterning the facial skeleton in the vertebrate head. Development 129: 1061–1073. , , , , .
- 1992. The developmental fate of the cephalic mesoderm in quail-chick chimeras. Development 114: 1–15. , , .
- 1993. The triple origin of skull in higher vertebrates: a study in quail-chick chimeras. Development 117: 409–429. , , .
- 2004. Reciprocal relationships between Fgf8 and neural crest cells in facial and forebrain development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 4843–4847. , , , .
- 2005. Neural crest derivatives in ocular and periocular structures. Int J Dev Biol 49: 161–171. , , .
- 1995. The mouse Fgf8 gene encodes a family of polypeptides and is expressed in regions that direct outgrowth and patterning in the developing embryo. Development 121: 439–451. , .
- 1937. The development of the vertebrate skull. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. .
- 1951. Vertebrate zoology. London: Sidgwick and Jackson. .
- 1993. Wnt-5a and Wnt-7a are expressed in the developing chick limb bud in a manner suggesting roles in pattern formation along the proximodistal and dorsoventral axes. Mech Dev 43: 175–186. , , , , .
- 1999. Dlx5 regulates regional development of the branchial arches and sensory capsules. Development 126: 3831–3846. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Specification of jaw subdivisions by Dlx genes. Science 298: 381–385. , , .
- 2005. Reassessing the Dlx code: the genetic regulation of branchial arch skeletal pattern and development. J Anat 207: 501–561. , , , .
- 2002. Evolution of development of the vertebrate dermal and oral skeletons: unraveling concepts, regulatory theories, and homologies. Paleobiology 28: 474–507. .
- 1997. Osf2/Cbfa1: a transcriptional activator of osteoblast differentiation. Cell 89: 747–754. , , , , .
- 1995. Relationships between cellular condensation, preosteoblast formation and epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in initiation of osteogenesis. Int J Dev Biol 39: 357–371. , .
- 2004. Conserved molecular program regulating cranial and appendicular skeletogenesis. Dev Dyn 231: 4–13. , .
- 2004. Hierarchy revealed in the specification of three skeletal fates by Sox9 and Runx2. Dev Biol 274: 188–200. , , .
- 2000. Temporospatial cell interactions regulating mandibular and maxillary arch patterning. Development 127: 403–412. , , .
- 1981. The structure and development of the palate in Alligator mississippiensis. Arch Oral Biol 26: 427–443. .
- 1984. Differentiation of cultured palatal shelves from alligator, chick, and mouse embryos. Anat Rec 209: 231–249. , , .
- 2003. Craniofacial development: the tissue and molecular interactions that control development of the head. Adv Anat Embryol Cell Biol 169: III–VI, 1–138. , , .
- 1994. Expression patterns of the bone morphogenetic protein genes Bmp-4 and Bmp-2 in the developing chick face suggest a role in outgrowth of the primordia. Dev Dyn 201: 168–178. , , .
- 1966. Studies on the morphology of the skull in the Boidae (Serpentes). Part II. Morphology and function of the jaw apparatus in Python sebae and Python molurus. J Morphol 118: 217–296. .
- 1911. Ueber das Septomaxillare eines rezenten Säugetieres (Dasypus), nebst einigen vergleichend-anatomischen Bemerkungen über das Septomaxillare und Praemaxillare der Amnioten überhaupt. Anatomischer Anzeiger 38: 33–55. .
- 2004. Temporal requirement of signaling cascade involving endothelin-1/endothelin receptor type A in branchial arch development. Mech Dev 121: 1223–1233. , , , , .
- 2005. Canonical WNT signaling promotes osteogenesis by directly stimulating RUNX2 gene expression. J Biol Chem 280: 33132–33140. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Canonical Wnt signaling in differentiated osteoblasts controls osteoclast differentiation. Dev Cell 8: 751–764. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Tissue interactions and the initiation of osteogenesis and chondrogenesis in the neural crest-derived mandibular skeleton of the embryonic mouse as seen in isolated murine tissues and in recombinations of murine and avian tissues. J Embryol Exp Morphol 58: 251–264. .
- 2000. All for one and one for all: condensations and the initiation of skeletal development. Bioessays 22: 138–147. , .
- 1983. The cranial development of elaphe-obsoleta (Ophidia, Colubridae). J Morphol 178: 37–55. , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2004. Regionalisation of early head ectoderm is regulated by endoderm and prepatterns the orofacial epithelium. Development 131: 4797–4806. , , , .
- 1999. A molecular phylogeny of reptiles. Science 283: 998–1001. , .
- 1993. Epigenetic and functional influences on skull growth. In: HankenJ, HallBK, editors. The skull. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. p 153–206. .
- 2005. Integration of morphological data sets for phylogenetic analysis of amniota: the importance of integumentary characters and increased taxonomic sampling. System Biol 54: 530–547. .
- 2000. Temporospatial patterns of apoptosis in chick embryos during the morphogenetic period of development. Int J Dev Biol 44: 757–768. , .
- 2003. A zone of frontonasal ectoderm regulates patterning and growth in the face. Development 130: 1749–1758. , , .
- 2002. Post-ovipositional development of the monocled cobra, Naja kaouthia (Serpentes: Elapidae). Zoology 105: 203–214. .
- 1933. The time and order of appearance of ossification centres in the albino mouse. Am J Anat 52: 241–271. .
- 1966. A radioautographic study of the migration and fate of cranial neural crest cells in the chick embryo. Anat Rec 156: 143–155. .
- 2005. Beta-catenin-mediated cell-adhesion is vital for embryonic forebrain development. Dev Dyn 233: 528–539. , , , , .
- 2002. Reaching a genetic and molecular understanding of skeletal development. Dev Cell 2: 389–406. , .
- 2006. Cell dissociation experiments reveal that positional information operates in the chicken frontonasal mass. Genesis 44: 105–114. , , .
- 1981. In-vivo and in-vitro studies of the development of the avian secondary palate. Arch Oral Biol 26: 181–187. , .
- 1997. Targeted disruption of Cbfa1 results in a complete lack of bone formation owing to maturational arrest of osteoblasts. Cell 89: 755–764. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Rhombencephalic neural crest segmentation is preserved throughout craniofacial ontogeny. Development 122: 3229–3242. , .
- 2005. Craniofacial development and the evolution of the vertebrates: the old problems on a new background. Zoolog Sci 22: 1–19. .
- 2004. The avian embryo as a model to study the development of the neural crest: a long and still ongoing story. Mech Dev 121: 1089–1102. .
- 1978. Participation of neural crest-derived cells in the genesis of the skull in birds. J Embryol Exp Morphol 47: 17–37. .
- 2004. A new origin for the maxillary jaw. Dev Biol 276: 207–224. , , , , .
- 2001. Noggin and retinoic acid transform the identity of avian facial prominences. Nature 414: 909–912. , , , .
- 2005a. Threshold-specific requirements for Bmp4 in mandibular development. Dev Biol 283: 282–293. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005b. Distinct functions for Bmp signaling in lip and palate fusion in mice. Development 132: 1453–1461. , , , , , , .
- 2004. The Wnt signaling pathway in development and disease. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 20: 781–810. , .
- 1991. Segmental origin and migration of neural crest cells in the hindbrain region of the chick embryo. Development 113: 1281–1291. , , .
- 2004. Upper beak truncation in chicken embryos with the cleft primary palate mutation is due to an epithelial defect in the frontonasal mass. Dev Dyn 230: 335–349. , , .
- 2005. Molecular interactions coordinating the development of the forebrain and face. Dev Biol 284: 48–61. , , , .
- 2005. Highly conserved linkage homology between birds and turtles: bird and turtle chromosomes are precise counterparts of each other. Chromosome Res 13: 601–615. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Fate map of the developing chick face: analysis of expansion of facial primordia and establishment of the primary palate. Dev Dyn 212: 102–118. , , .
- 2002. Region- and stage-specific effects of FGFs and BMPs in chick mandibular morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 223: 333–352. , , , , .
- 1978. Cell proliferation and cell density of mesenchyme in the maxillary process and adjacent regions during facial development in the chick embryo. J Embryol Exp Morphol 46: 65–74. , .
- 2005. Turtle-chicken chimera: an experimental approach to understanding evolutionary innovation in the turtle. Dev Dyn 232: 149–161. , , , , , .
- 2004. Frontonasal process-specific disruption of AP-2alpha results in postnatal midfacial hypoplasia, vascular anomalies, and nasal cavity defects. Dev Biol 267: 72–92. , .
- 1997. Antagonistic interactions between FGF and BMP signaling pathways: a mechanism for positioning the sites of tooth formation. Cell 90: 247–255. , , , .
- 1993. FGF-4 and BMP-2 have opposite effects on limb growth. Nature 361: 68–71. , .
- 1975. An analysis of migratory behavior of avian cephalic neural crest cells. Dev Biol 42: 106–130. .
- 1978. The control of avian cephalic neural crest cytodifferentiation. I. Skeletal and connective tissues. Dev Biol 67: 296–312. .
- 2005. Relations and interactions between cranial mesoderm and neural crest populations. J Anat 207: 575–601. , .
- 1994. The contribution of both forebrain and midbrain crest cells to the mesenchyme in the frontonasal mass of mouse embryos. Dev Biol 164: 409–419. , , , .
- 1997. Cbfa1, a candidate gene for cleidocranial dysplasia syndrome, is essential for osteoblast differentiation and bone development. Cell 89: 765–771. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Endothelin-1 regulates the dorsoventral branchial arch patterning in mice. Mech Dev 121: 387–395. , , , , .
- 1993. Mouse Wnt genes exhibit discrete domains of expression in the early embryonic CNS and limb buds. Development 119: 247–261. , , , .
- 2005. Vertebrate life. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education Inc., Pearson Prentice Hall. 684 p. , , .
- 1978. The pterygoid and ectopterygoid in mammals. Anat Embryol 154: 95–110. , .
- 1997. Role of the Dlx homeobox genes in proximodistal patterning of the branchial arches: mutations of Dlx-1, Dlx-2, and Dlx-1 and -2 alter morphogenesis of proximal skeletal and soft tissue structures derived from the first and second arches. Dev Biol 185: 165–184. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The origin and early evolutionary history of amniotes. Trends Ecol Evol 6: 218–222. .
- 1989. Epithelia are interchangeable between facial primordia of chick embryos and morphogenesis is controlled by the mesenchyme. Dev Biol 136: 201–210. , .
- 1992. Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the outgrowth of limb buds and facial primordia in chick embryos. Dev Biol 154: 299–308. , .
- 1999. The origin and early evolution of turtles. Annu Rev Ecol System 30: 1–22. .
- 1956. Osteology of the reptiles. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. .
- 1977. The vertebrate body. Toronto: W.B. Saunders. , .
- 2003a. dHAND-Cre transgenic mice reveal specific potential functions of dHAND during craniofacial development. Dev Biol 257: 263–277. , , , , , , , .
- 2003b. Dlx5/6-enhancer directed expression of Cre recombinase in the pharyngeal arches and brain. Genesis 37: 188–194. , , , .
- 2004. Endothelin-A receptor-dependent and -independent signaling pathways in establishing mandibular identity. Development 131: 4413–4423. , , , , .
- 2003. The cellular and molecular origins of beak morphology. Science 299: 565–568. , .
- 2001. Local retinoid signaling coordinates forebrain and facial morphogenesis by maintaining FGF8 and SHH. Development 128: 2755–2767. , , , , .
- 1995. Skeleton keys: an introduction to human skeletal morphology, development, and analysis. Oxford: Oxford University Press. .
- 1992. Vital dye analysis of cranial neural crest cell migration in the mouse embryo. Development 116: 297–307. , , .
- 1980. Development of the secondary palate in chick embryo: a light and electron microscopic and histochemical study. Invest Cell Pathol 3: 319–328. , .
- 2000. Ectodermally derived FGF8 defines the maxillomandibular region in the early chick embryo: epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the specification of the craniofacial ectomesenchyme. Dev Biol 228: 73–85. , , .
- 2005. A new evolutionary scenario for the vertebrate jaw. Bioessays 27: 331–338. , , .
- 2005. The duality of beta-catenin function: a requirement in lens morphogenesis and signaling suppression of lens fate in periocular ectoderm. Dev Biol 285: 477–489. , , , , .
- 2004. Control of retinoic acid synthesis and FGF expression in the nasal pit is required to pattern the craniofacial skeleton. Dev Biol 276: 313–329. , , , .
- 2002. Role of Runx genes in chondrocyte differentiation. Dev Biol 245: 95–108. , , , .
- 2003. Wnt-5a inhibits the canonical Wnt pathway by promoting GSK-3-independent beta-catenin degradation. J Cell Biol 162: 899–908. , , , , , .
- 1995. Cranial paraxial mesoderm and neural crest cells of the mouse embryo: co-distribution in the craniofacial mesenchyme but distinct segregation in branchial arches. Development 121: 2569–2582. , .
- 1999. Cre-mediated gene inactivation demonstrates that FGF8 is required for cell survival and patterning of the first branchial arch. Genes Dev 13: 3136–3148. , , , , .
- 1999. Conserved regulation of mesenchymal gene expression by Fgf-8 in face and limb development. Development 126: 221–228. , , , , , .
- 2004. Bapx1 regulates patterning in the middle ear: altered regulatory role in the transition from the proximal jaw during vertebrate evolution. Development 131: 1235–1245. , , , , .
- 1978. Epithelial influences on membrane bone formation in the maxilla of the embryonic chick. Anat Rec 192: 225–233. .
- 1977. Epithelial influences on skeletogenesis in the mandible of the embryonic chick. Anat Rec 188: 229–239. , .
- 1984. Epithelial induction of osteogenesis in embryonic chick mandibular mesenchyme studied by transfilter tissue recombinations. J Embryol Exp Morphol 79: 225–242. , .
- 1987. Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the development of chick facial primordia and the target of retinoid action. Development 99: 341–351. .
- 2004. Fgf and Bmp signals repress the expression of Bapx1 in the mandibular mesenchyme and control the position of the developing jaw joint. Dev Biol 266: 138–150. , .
- 2004. Molecular shaping of the beak. Science 305: 1465–1466. , , , , .
- 1999. A Wnt5a pathway underlies outgrowth of multiple structures in the vertebrate embryo. Development 126: 1211–1223. , , , .
- 2004. The origin and early evolution of birds: discoveries, disputes, and perspectives from fossil evidence. Naturwissenschaften 91: 455–471. .