Y. Lan and R. C. Ryan contributed equally to this work.
Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression of Wnt9b and activation of canonical Wnt signaling during midfacial morphogenesis in mice
Article first published online: 22 FEB 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Craniofacial Development Special Issue
Volume 235, Issue 5, pages 1448–1454, May 2006
How to Cite
Lan, Y., Ryan, R. C., Zhang, Z., Bullard, S. A., Bush, J. O., Maltby, K. M., Lidral, A. C. and Jiang, R. (2006), Expression of Wnt9b and activation of canonical Wnt signaling during midfacial morphogenesis in mice. Dev. Dyn., 235: 1448–1454. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20723
- Issue published online: 19 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 22 FEB 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 JAN 2006
- NIH. Grant Numbers: DE015207, DE016215, DE015291
- NIH/NIDCR. Grant Numbers: P50DE016215, KO2DE015291
- 2002. Endogenous bone morphogenetic proteins regulate outgrowth and epithelial survival during avian lip fusion. Development 129: 4647–4660. , , .
- 2003. Ectodermal Wnt3/beta-catenin signaling is required for the establishment and maintenance of the apical ectodermal ridge. Genes Dev 17: 394–409. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Differential expression of the Wnt putative receptors Frizzled during mouse somitogenesis. Mech Dev 89: 173–177. , , , , , .
- 2004. The cleft lip and palate defects in the Dancer mutant mice result from gain of function of the Tbx10 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 7022–7027. , , .
- 1997. Wnt signaling: a common theme in animal development. Genes Dev 11: 3286–3305. , .
- 2005. Wnt9b plays a central role in the regulation of mesenchymal to epithelial transitions underlying organogenesis of the mammalian urogenital system. Dev Cell 9: 283–292. , , , , .
- 1992. Cleft lip with or without cleft palate: associations with transforming growth factor alpha and retinoic acid receptor loci. Am J Hum Genet 51: 1377–1385. , , , , .
- 1995. Murine Wnt-11 and Wnt-12 have temporally and spatially restricted expression patterns during embryonic development. Mech Dev 51: 341–350. , , , , , .
- 1999. Multiple roles for activated LEF/TCF transcription complexes during hair follicle development and differentiation. Development 126: 4557–4568. , .
- 1997. Genome scan for teratogen-induced clefting susceptibility loci in the mouse: evidence of both allelic and locus heterogeneity distinguishing cleft lip and cleft palate. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 5231–5236. , .
- 1998. Signalling interactions during facial development. Mech Dev 75: 3–28. , , , .
- 2003. Craniofacial development: the tissue and molecular interactions that control development of the head. Adv Anat Embryol Cell Biol 169: III–VI, 1–138. , , .
- 1990. Expression of multiple novel Wnt-1/int-1-related genes during fetal and adult mouse development. Genes Dev 4: 2319–2332. , , .
- 2003. Bmp4 gene is expressed at the putative site of fusion in the midfacial region. Differentiation 71: 228–236. , .
- 2001. Syndromes of the head and neck. New York: Oxford University Press. , , .
- 1999. The role of sonic hedgehog in normal and abnormal craniofacial morphogenesis. Development 126: 4873–4884. , .
- 2004. Hedgehog signaling in the neural crest cells regulates the patterning and growth of facial primordia. Genes Dev 18: 937–951. , , , , .
- 1998. The Slug gene is not essential for mesoderm or neural crest development in mice. Dev. Biol. 198: 277–285. , , , , ,
- 1995. The major locus for multifactorial nonsyndromic cleft lip maps to mouse chromosome 11. Mamm Genome 6: 63–69. , .
- 1996. The clf1 gene maps to a 2- to 3-cM region of distal mouse chromosome 11. Mamm Genome 7: 789. , , .
- 2001. Unravelling the complex genetics of cleft lip in the mouse model. Mamm Genome 12: 426–435. , , .
- 2004. A digenic cause of cleft lip in A-strain mice and definition of candidate genes for the two loci. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 70: 509–518. , , .
- 2005. Investigations of the genomic region that contains the clf1 mutation, a causal gene in multifactorial cleft lip and palate in mice. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 73: 103–113. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Osr2, a new mouse gene related to Drosophila odd-skipped exhibits dynamic expression patterns during craniofacial, limb, and kidney development. Mech Dev 107: 175–179. , , , .
- 2004. Odd-skipped related 2 (Osr2) encodes a key intrinsic regulator of secondary palate growth and morphogenesis. Development 131: 3207–3216. , , , , , .
- 2001. Otx2 and Gbx2 are required for refinement and not induction of mid-hindbrain gene expression. Development 128: 4979–4991. , .
- 2005. Distinct functions for Bmp signaling in lip and palate fusion in mice. Development 132: 1453–1461. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Meta-analysis of 13 genome scans reveals multiple cleft lip/palate genes with novel loci on 9q21 and 2q32–35. Am J Hum Genet 75: 161–173. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Tcf3: a transcriptional regulator of axis induction in the early embryo. Development 131: 263–274. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Interpreting the evidence for an association between the retinoic acid receptor locus and non-syndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate. J Med Genet 31: 425. .
- 2002. Twin studies in oral cleft research. In: WyszynskiDF, editor. Cleft lip and palate, from origin to treatment. New York: Oxford University Press. p 234–239. .
- 2004. Genetic analysis of candidate loci in non-syndromic cleft lip families from Antioquia-Colombia and Ohio. Am J Med Genet A 125: 135–144. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Homozygous WNT3 mutation causes tetra-amelia in a large consanguineous family. Am J Hum Genet 74: 558–563. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Differential expression of the HMG box factors TCF-1 and LEF-1 during murine embryogenesis. Development 118: 439–448. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Mouse Wnt genes exhibit discrete domains of expression in the early embryonic CNS and limb buds. Development 119: 247–261. , , , .
- 2003. Chromosome 17: gene mapping studies of cleft lip with or without cleft palate in Chinese families. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 40: 71–79. , , , , .
- 1989. Epithelia are interchangeable between facial primordia of chick embryos and morphogenesis is controlled by the mesenchyme. Dev Biol 136: 201–210. , .
- 2002. Multiplex relative risk and estimation of the number of loci underlying an inherited disease. Am J Hum Genet 71: 1369–1385. , .
- 1999. The many faces and factors of orofacial clefts. Hum Mol Genet 8: 1853–1859. , .
- 1993) Further evidence of a relationship between the retinoic acid receptor alpha locus and nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate. Am J Hum Genet 53: 1156–1157. , , , (
- 2005. Wnt/b-catenin signaling acts upstream of N-myc, BMP4, and FGF signaling to regulate proximal-distal patterning in the lung. Dev Biol 283: 226–239. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Genetic interaction between Wnt/beta-catenin and BMP receptor signaling during formation of the AER and the dorsal-ventral axis in the limb. Genes Dev 17: 1963–1968. , , , , , , , .
- 1968. Pathogenesis of cleft lip and its relation to embryonic face shape in A-J and C57BL mice. Teratology 1: 33–49. .
- 2003. Fgfr1 regulates patterning of the pharyngeal region. Genes Dev 17: 141–153. , , , .
- 1999. Cre-mediated gene inactivation demonstrates that FGF8 is required for cell survival and patterning of the first branchial arch. Genes Dev 13: 3136–3148. , , , , .
- 1987. Incidence of cleft lip, cleft palate, and cleft lip and palate among races: a review. Cleft Palate J 24: 216–225. .
- 1996. Murine Wnt10a and Wnt10b: cloning and expression in developing limbs, face and skin of embryos and in adults. Oncogene 13: 1537–1544. , .
- 1987. Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the development of chick facial primordia and the target of retinoid action. Development 99: 341–351. .
- 1998. Mechanisms of Wnt signaling in development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 14: 59–88. , .