Patterns & Phenotypes
Complementary expression pattern of Zfhx1 genes Sip1 and δEF1 in the mouse embryo and their genetic interaction revealed by compound mutants
Version of Record online: 5 APR 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 7, pages 1941–1952, July 2006
How to Cite
Miyoshi, T., Maruhashi, M., Van De Putte, T., Kondoh, H., Huylebroeck, D. and Higashi, Y. (2006), Complementary expression pattern of Zfhx1 genes Sip1 and δEF1 in the mouse embryo and their genetic interaction revealed by compound mutants. Dev. Dyn., 235: 1941–1952. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20799
- Issue online: 22 MAY 2006
- Version of Record online: 5 APR 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 FEB 2006
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan. Grant Numbers: 01062, 15570718, 16027230, 12CE2007, 17107005, 17018025
- University of Leuven. Grant Number: 0T/00/41
- Fund of Scientific Research–Flanders. Grant Number: G.0105.02 and G.0279.04
- Interuniversity Attraction Pole Program. Grant Number: P5/35
- 2002. Regulation of cerebral cortical size by control of cell cycle exit in neural precursors. Science 297: 365–369. , .
- 1996. A comparison of the properties of Sox-3 with Sry and two related genes, Sox-1 and Sox-2. Development 122: 509–520. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Transcriptional activation by the zinc-finger homeodomain protein δEF1 in estrogen signaling cascades. DNA Cell Biol 23: 25–34. , .
- 1993. Staging of gastrulating mouse embryos by morphological landmarks in the dissecting microscope. Development 118: 1255–1266. , .
- 2004. Sox2 deficiency causes neurodegeneration and impaired neurogenesis in the adult mouse brain. Development 131: 3805–3819. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. The Drosophila zfh-1 and zfh-2 genes encode novel proteins containing both zinc-finger and homeodomain motifs. Mech Dev 34: 113–122. , , .
- 1993. δ-crystallin enhancer binding protein δEF1 is a zinc finger-homeodomain protein implicated in postgastrulation embryogenesis. Development 119: 433–446. , , , , .
- 1999. Identification of CtBP1 and CtBP2 as corepressors of zinc finger-homeodomain factor δEF1. Mol Cell Biol 19: 8581–8590. , , , .
- 1996. Cloning of a cDNA encoding a mouse transcriptional repressor displaying striking sequence conservation across vertebrates. Gene 169: 289–290. , .
- 1997. Forebrain overgrowth (fog): a new mutation in the mouse affecting neural tube development. Teratology 55: 231–240. , , , , , .
- 1997. Impairment of T cell development in δEF1 mutant mice. J Exp Med 185: 1467–1479. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Generation of the floxed allele of the SIP1 (Smad-interacting protein 1) gene for Cre-mediated conditional knockout in the mouse. Genesis 32: 82–84. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Srg3, a mouse homolog of yeast SWI3, is essential for early embryogenesis and involved in brain development. Mol Cell Biol 21: 7787–7795. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Transcriptional regulation of the vitamin D(3) receptor gene by ZEB. Cell Growth Differ 12: 319–326. , , .
- 1997. Zp3-cre, a transgenic mouse line for the activation or inactivation of loxP-flanked target genes specifically in the female germ line. Curr Biol 7: 148–151. , , .
- 2005. Involvement of SIP1 in positioning of somite boundaries in the mouse embryo. Dev Dyn 234: 332–338. , , , , .
- 2000. Suppression of polydactyly of the Gli3 mutant (extra toes) by δEF1 homozygous mutation. Dev Growth Differ 42: 367–376. , , , .
- 2003. Organization of the mouse Zfhx1b gene encoding the two-handed zinc finger repressor Smad-interacting protein-1. Genomics 82: 460–469. , , , , .
- 2004. XSIP1 is essential for early neural gene expression and neural differentiation by suppression of BMP signaling. Dev Biol 275: 258–267. , , , .
- 2002. Dynamic regulation of Brachyury expression in the amphibian embryo by XSIP1. Mech Dev 111: 37–46. , , , , .
- 2000. Differential expression and function of members of the zfh-1 family of zinc finger/homeodomain repressors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 6391–6396. , .
- 1999. New mode of DNA binding of multi-zinc finger transcription factors: δEF1 family members bind with two hands to two target sites. Embo J 18: 5073–5084. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Loss of function of the tuberous sclerosis 2 tumor suppressor gene results in embryonic lethality characterized by disrupted neuroepithelial growth and development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 15629–15634. , , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular cloning. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , .
- 1994. The δ-crystallin enhancer-binding protein δEF1 is a repressor of E2-box-mediated gene activation. Mol Cell Biol 14: 5692–5700. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Organization of the gene encoding transcriptional repressor δEF1 and cross-species conservation of its domains. Gene 173: 227–232. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Two mechanisms in the action of repressor δEF1: binding site competition with an activator and active repression. Genes Cells 2: 771–783. , , , .
- 1998. δEF1, a zinc finger and homeodomain transcription factor, is required for skeleton patterning in multiple lineages. Development 125: 21–31. , , , .
- 2006. Convergence of Wnt and FGF signals in the genesis of posterior neural plate through activation of the Sox2 enhancer N-1. Development 133: 297–306. , , , .
- 2004. Interplay of SOX and POU factors in regulation of the Nestin gene in neural primordial cells. Mol Cell Biol 24: 8834–8846. , , , , , .
- 1989. The house mouse. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. .
- 2003. Zfhx1a and Zfhx1b mRNAs have non-overlapping expression domains during chick and mouse midgestation limb development. Gene Expr Patterns 3: 39–42. , , , , .
- 2003. Functional analysis of chicken Sox2 enhancers highlights an array of diverse regulatory elements that are conserved in mammals. Dev Cell 4: 509–519. , , , , .
- 2003. Mice lacking zfhx1b, the gene that codes for smad-interacting protein-1, reveal a role for multiple neural crest cell defects in the etiology of hirschsprung disease-mental retardation syndrome. Am J Hum Genet 72: 465–470. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Interaction between Smad-interacting protein-1 and the corepressor C-terminal binding protein is dispensable for transcriptional repression of E-cadherin. J Biol Chem 278: 26135–26145. , , , , , , .
- 1999. SIP1, a novel zinc finger/homeodomain repressor, interacts with Smad proteins and binds to 5′-CACCT sequences in candidate target genes. J Biol Chem 274: 20489–20498. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. zag-1, a Zn-finger homeodomain transcription factor controlling neuronal differentiation and axon outgrowth in C. elegans. Development 130: 3795–3805. , , , .
- 2001. Mutations in SIP1, encoding Smad interacting protein-1, cause a form of Hirschsprung disease. Nat Genet 27: 369–370. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Whole mount in situ hybridization of vertebrate embryos. In: WilkinsonDG, editor. In situ hybridization: a practical approach. Oxford: IRL Press. p 75–83. .
- 1999. Comparative expression of the mouse Sox1, Sox2 and Sox3 genes from pre-gastrulation to early somite stages. Mech Dev 86: 197–201. , .
- 2001. Nonsense and frameshift mutations in ZFHX1B, encoding Smad-interacting protein 1, cause a complex developmental disorder with a great variety of clinical features. Am J Hum Genet 69: 1178–1185. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Regulation of ocular lens development by Smad-interacting protein 1 involving Foxe3 activation. Development 132: 4437–4448. , , , .