Patterns & Phenotypes
Xenopus fibrillin is expressed in the organizer and is the earliest component of matrix at the developing notochord-somite boundary
Article first published online: 10 APR 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 7, pages 1974–1983, July 2006
How to Cite
Skoglund, P., Dzamba, B., Coffman, C.R., Harris, W.A. and Keller, R. (2006), Xenopus fibrillin is expressed in the organizer and is the earliest component of matrix at the developing notochord-somite boundary. Dev. Dyn., 235: 1974–1983. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20818
- Issue published online: 22 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 10 APR 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 MAR 2006
- 2002. The latent-TGFbeta-binding-protein-1 (LTBP-1) is expressed in the organizer and regulates nodal and activin signaling. Dev Biol 248: 118–127. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Regulation of limb patterning by extracellular microfibrils. J Cell Biol 154: 275–281. , , , , , .
- 2003. Cell adhesion to fibrillin-1 molecules and microfibrils is mediated by alpha 5 beta 1 and alpha v beta 3 integrins. J Biol Chem 278: 34605–34616. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Distribution of fibrillin I in extracellular matrix and epithelia during early development of avian embryos. Anat Embryol (Berl) 201: 317–326. , , , .
- 2005. Fibrillin-1 interactions with heparin. Implications for microfibril and elastic fiber assembly. J Biol Chem 280: 30526–30537. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Fibrillins can co-assemble in fibrils, but fibrillin fibril composition displays cell-specific differences. J Biol Chem 278: 2740–2749. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Expression of an extracellular deletion of Xotch diverts cell fate in Xenopus embryos. Cell 73: 659–671. , , , .
- 2004. Differential expression of fibrillin-3 adds to microfibril variety in human and avian, but not rodent, connective tissues. Genomics 83: 461–472. , , , .
- 2004. Extracellular matrix dynamics during vertebrate axis formation. Dev Biol 268: 111–122. , , .
- 2004. Assembly and remodeling of the fibrillar fibronectin extracellular matrix during gastrulation and neurulation in Xenopus laevis. Dev Dyn 231: 888–895. , , .
- 2000. Mouse models of genetic diseases resulting from mutations in elastic fiber proteins. Matrix Biol 19: 481–488. , .
- 1994. Marfan's syndrome and other microfibrillar diseases. Adv Hum Genet 22: 153–186. , , .
- 1989. Cellular contacts required for neural induction in Xenopus embryos: evidence for two signals. Development 106: 749–757. , .
- 1995. Induction of notochord cell intercalation behavior and differentiation by progressive signals in the gastrula of Xenopus laevis. Development 121: 3311–3321. , .
- 1990. Appearance and distribution of laminin during development of Xenopus laevis. Differentiation 42: 144–152. , .
- 1993. Fibrillin delineates the primary axis of the early avian embryo. Dev Dyn 196: 70–78. , , .
- 1992. Responses of embryonic Xenopus cells to activin and FGF are separated by multiple dose thresholds and correspond to distinct axes of the mesoderm. Cell 71: 731–739. , , .
- 2005. The prodomain of BMP-7 targets the BMP-7 complex to the extracellular matrix. J Biol Chem 280: 27970–27980. , , , , , , .
- 1991. In situ hybridization: an improved whole-mount method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol 36: 685–695. .
- 1991. Neuronal determination without cell division in Xenopus embryos. Neuron 6: 499–515. , .
- 1991. Cephalic expression and molecular characterization of Xenopus En-2. Development 111: 715–724. , , , .
- 1999. Growth-cone attraction to netrin-1 is converted to repulsion by laminin-1. Nature 401: 69–73. , , , , .
- 1993. Analysis of gastrulation: different types of gastrulation movement are induced by different mesoderm-inducing factors in Xenopus laevis. Mech Dev 43: 37–48. , .
- 1988. The entire mesodermal mantle behaves as Spemann's organizer in dorsoanterior enhanced Xenopus laevis embryos. Dev Biol 127: 64–77. , .
- 1991. Early embryonic development of Xenopus laevis. Methods Cell Biol 36: 61–113. .
- 1989. Cell intercalation during notochord development in Xenopus laevis. J Exp Zool 251: 134–154. , , , , .
- 2000. Mechanisms of convergence and extension by cell intercalation. Phil Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 355: 897–922. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Hensen's node induces neural tissue in Xenopus ectoderm. Implications for the action of the organizer in neural induction. Development 113: 1495–1505. , .
- 1987. Expression of Xenopus N-CAM RNA in ectoderm is an early response to neural induction. Development 99: 311–325. , .
- 1996. A molecular mechanism for the effect of lithium on development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 8455–8459. , .
- 1995. Disruption of gastrulation movements in Xenopus by a dominant-negative mutant for C-cadherin. Dev Biol 171: 363–373. , .
- 2002. Homo- and heterotypic fibrillin-1 and -2 interactions constitute the basis for the assembly of microfibrils. J Biol Chem 277: 50795–50804. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Evidence for furin-type activity-mediated C-terminal processing of profibrillin-1 and interference in the processing by certain mutations. Hum Mol Genet 7: 2039–2044. , , , .
- 2003. Integrin-ECM interactions regulate cadherin-dependent cell adhesion and are required for convergent extension in Xenopus. Curr Biol 13: 1182–1191. , .
- 1991. Partial sequence of a candidate gene for the Marfan syndrome. Nature 352: 334–337. , , , , .
- 1995. The dorsal involuting marginal zone stiffens anisotropically during its convergent extension in the gastrula of Xenopus laevis. Development 121: 3131–3140. , , .
- 2003. Dysregulation of TGF-beta activation contributes to pathogenesis in Marfan syndrome. Nat Genet 33: 407–411. , , , , , , , , .
- 1967. normal table of Xenopus laevis (Daudin). Amsterdam: North Holland Publishing. , .
- 1983. Mechanical aspects of mesenchymal morphogenesis. J Embryol Exp Morphol 78: 83–125. , , .
- 2002. Zebrafish mutants identify an essential role for laminins in notochord formation. Development 129: 3137–3146. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Targetting of the gene encoding fibrillin-1 recapitulates the vascular aspect of Marfan syndrome. Nat Genet 17: 218–222. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Cell adhesion and integrin binding to recombinant human fibrillin-1. FEBS Lett 384: 247–250. , , , .
- 1997. The role of planar and early vertical signaling in patterning the expression of Hoxb-1 in Xenopus. Dev Biol 184: 351–366. , .
- 2002. Fibrillin-1 and fibrillin-2 in human embryonic and early fetal development. Matrix Biol 21: 637–646. , , , , , .
- 1996. Fibrillln mutations in Marfan syndrome and related phenotypes. Curr Opin Genet Dev 6: 309–315. .
- 2004. Fibrillin microfibrils: multipurpose extracellular networks in organismal physiology. Physiol Genomics 19: 151–154. , , , .
- 2003. Fibrillin-1 and -2 contain heparin-binding sites important for matrix deposition and that support cell attachment. Biochem J 375: 425–432. , , , .
- 2000. The molecular genetics of Marfan syndrome and related microfibrillopathies. J Med Genet 37: 9–25. , .
- 1998. Identification of the developmental marker, JB3-antigen, as fibrillin-2 and its de novo organization into embryonic microfibrous arrays. Dev Dyn 212: 461–471. , , , .
- 2000. Specific sequence motif of 8-Cys repeats of TGF-beta binding proteins, LTBPs, creates a hydrophobic interaction surface for binding of small latent TGF-beta. Mol Biol Cell 11: 2691–2704. , .
- 1996. Association of the small latent transforming growth factor-beta with an eight cysteine repeat of its binding protein LTBP-1. Embo J 15: 245–253. , , .
- 1991. Purification and partial characterization of fibrillin, a cysteine-rich structural component of connective tissue microfibrils. J Biol Chem 266: 14763–14770. , , , .
- 1996. Cell-type specific recognition of RGD- and non-RGD-containing cell binding domains in fibrillin-1. J Biol Chem 271: 4916–4922. , , , , , .
- 1992a. Cell motility driving mediolateral intercalation in explants of Xenopus laevis. Development 116: 901–914. , .
- 1992b. Patterns of cell motility in the organizer and dorsal mesoderm of Xenopus laevis. Development 116: 915–930. , .
- 1991. Expression of two nonallelic type II procollagen genes during Xenopus laevis embryogenesis is characterized by stage-specific production of alternatively spliced transcripts. J Cell Biol 115: 565–575. , , , , .
- 1984. Cells into organs. The forces the shape the embryo. Upper Saddle, River, NJ: Prentice-Hall Inc. .
- 2003. Codistribution analysis of elastin and related fibrillar proteins in early vertebrate development. Matrix Biol 22: 109–121. , , , .
- 1994. Cardiac endothelial heterogeneity defines valvular development as demonstrated by the diverse expression of JB3, an antigen of the endocardial cushion tissue. Dev Biol 165: 585–601. , , .
- 1994. Structure and expression of fibrillin-2, a novel microfibrillar component preferentially located in elastic matrices. J Cell Biol 124: 855–863. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Developmental expression of fibrillin genes suggests heterogeneity of extracellular microfibrils. J Cell Biol 129: 1165–1176. , , .