Attenuation of retinal vascular development and neovascularization in transgenic mice over-expressing thrombospondin-1 in the lens
Version of Record online: 11 MAY 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 7, pages 1908–1920, July 2006
How to Cite
Wu, Z., Wang, S., Sorenson, C. M. and Sheibani, N. (2006), Attenuation of retinal vascular development and neovascularization in transgenic mice over-expressing thrombospondin-1 in the lens. Dev. Dyn., 235: 1908–1920. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20837
- Issue online: 22 MAY 2006
- Version of Record online: 11 MAY 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 APR 2006
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: EY13700, DK67120
- Retina Research Foundation
- Chinese Government
- 2002. The lack of thrombospondin-1 (TSP1) dictates the course of wound healing in double-TSP1/TSP2-null mice. Am J Pathol 161: 831–839. , , , .
- 1995. Vascular endothelial growth factor acts as a survival factor for newly formed retinal vessels and has implications for retinopathy of prematurity. Nature Med 1: 1024–1028. , , , , , .
- 2000. Lens-specific VEGF-A expression induces angioblast migration and proliferation and stimulates angiogenic remodeling. Dev Biol 223: 383–398. , .
- 1990. Development of retinal vasculature in the cat: processes and mechanisms. Curr Eye Res 9: 459–478. , , .
- 2004. Astrocyte-endothelial cell relationships during human retinal vascular development. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45: 2020–2032. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Characterization of vascular development in the mouse retina. Microvasc Res 36: 275–290. , , , .
- 1986. Anatomy of the mouse retina: Endothelial cell-pericyte ratio and capillary distribution. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 27: 1659–1664. , .
- 2002. Retinal vascular development is mediated by endothelial filopodia, a pre-existing astrocytic template and specific R-cadherin adhesion. Invest. Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43: 3500–3510. , , .
- 2002. Development of the mouse retinal vasculature: angiogenesis versus vasculogenesis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43: 522–527. .
- 2000. Vascularization of the human fetal retina: roles of vasculogenesis and angiogenesis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 41: 1217–1228. , , .
- 2005. Endogenous thrombospondin-1 is not necessary for proliferation but is permissive for vascular smooth muscle cell responses to platelet-derived growth factor. Matrix Biol 24: 110–123. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Regression of the hyaloid vessels and papillary membrane of the mouse. Anat Embryol 200: 403–411. . .
- 2000. Signals leading to apoptosis-dependent inhibition of neovascularization by thrombospondin-1. Nature Med. 6: 41–48. , , , , , .
- 2001. c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation is required for the inhibition of neovascularization by thrombospondin-1. Oncogene 20: 3443–3448. , , , , , , .
- 2001. More Weapons in the retinal ischemic retinopathy. J Clin Invest 107: 945–946. .
- 1998. Mice that lack thrombospondin 2 display connective tissue abnormalities that are associated with disordered collagen fibrillogenesis, an increased vascular density, and a bleeding diathesis. J Cell Biol 140: 419–430. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The functions of thrombospondin-1 and -2. Curr Opin Cell Biol 12: 634–640. .
- 1998. Thrombospondin-1 is required for normal murine pulmonary homeostasis and its absence causes pneumonia. J Clin Invest 101: 982–992. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Cell surface thrombospondin is functionally essential for vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation. J Cell Biol 106: 415–422. , , .
- 1987. Visualization of a developing vasculature. Microvasc Res 33: 257–269. , , , .
- 1954. Effect of increased oxygen on the development of the retinal vessels; an experimental study. Br J Ophthalmol 38: 577–587. , , , .
- 2002. Effect of body temperature on electroretinogram of mice. Invest. Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43: 3754–3757. , .
- 2000. Thrombospondin-1 induces endothelial cell apoptosis and inhibits angiogenesis by activating the caspase death pathway. J Vasc Res 37: 209–218. , , , , , .
- 1995. Vascular endothelial growth factor/vascular permeability factor expression in a mouse model of retinal neovascularization. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 905–909. , , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor by oxygen in a model of retinopathy of prematurity. Arch Ophthalmol 114: 1219–1228. , , .
- 1989. Regulation of the activity of a new inhibitor of angiogenesis by a cancer suppressor gene. Cell 56: 345–355. , , .
- 1998. Dysregulation of ocular morphogenesis by lens specific expression of FGF-3/Int-2 in transgenic mice. Dev Biol 198: 13–31. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Inhibition of retinal angiogenesis by peptides derived from thrombospondin-1. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 41: 2378–2388. , , , , , .
- 1995. Thrombospondin-1 expression in transformed endothelial cells restores a normal phenotype and suppresses their tumorigenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 6788–6792. , .
- 1999. Thrombospondin-1, PECAM-1, and regulation of angiogenesis. Histol Histopathol 14: 285–294. , .
- 2000. Thrombospondin-1, a natural inhibitor of angiogenesis, is present in vitreous and aqueous humor and is modulated by hyperglycemia. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 267: 257–261. , , , .
- 1994. Oxygen-induced retinopathy in the mouse. Invest. Ophthalmol Vis Sci 35: 101–111. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Disruption of lens fiber cell differentiation and survival at multiple stages by region-specific expression of truncated FGF receptors. Dev Biol 217: 205–220. , .
- 1997. Overexpression of FGF-2 modulates fiber cell differentiation and survival in the mouse lens. Development 124: 4009–4017. , , .
- 1996. Roles of vascular endothelial growth factor and astrocyte degeneration in the genesis of retinopathy of prematurity. Invest Ophthal Vis Sci 37: 290–299. , , , , , .
- 2003. Isolation and characterization of murine retinal endothelial cells. Mol Vision 9: 171–178. , , .
- 2003. Thrombospondin-1-deficient mice exhibit increased vascular density during retinal vascular development and are less sensitive to hyperoxia-mediated vessel obliteration. Dev Dyn 228: 630–642. , , , , .
- 2005. Attenuation of retinal vascular development and neovascularization during oxygen-induced ischemic retinopathy in bcl-2 −/− mice. Dev Biol 279: 205–219. , , .
- 2006. Enhanced proangiogenic signaling in thrombospondin-1-deficient retinal endothelial cells. Micro Res [DOI: 10.1016/j.mvr.2006.02.004]. , , .
- 1999. Hyperoxia causes decreased expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and endothelial cell apoptosis in adult retina. J Cell Physiol 179: 149–156. , , , , , .