Special Issue Reviews–A Peer Reviewed Forum
Definitive endoderm of the mouse embryo: Formation, cell fates, and morphogenetic function
Version of Record online: 2 JUN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Mouse Development Special Issue
Volume 235, Issue 9, pages 2315–2329, September 2006
How to Cite
Lewis, S. L. and Tam, P. P.L. (2006), Definitive endoderm of the mouse embryo: Formation, cell fates, and morphogenetic function. Dev. Dyn., 235: 2315–2329. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20846
- Issue online: 9 AUG 2006
- Version of Record online: 2 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 APR 2006
- 1999. casanova plays an early and essential role in endoderm formation in zebrafish. Dev Biol 215: 343–357. , , , .
- 2002. Chordin and noggin promote organizing centers of forebrain development in the mouse. Development 129: 4975–4987. , , , , .
- 1993. Anterior mesendoderm induces mouse Engrailed genes in explant cultures. Development 118: 139–149. , .
- 1994. HNF-3 beta is essential for node and notochord formation in mouse development. Cell 78: 561–574. , .
- 1996. A targeted mouse Otx2 mutation leads to severe defects in gastrulation and formation of axial mesoderm and to deletion of rostral brain. Development 122: 243–252. , , , , , .
- 2000. Animal-vegetal axis patterning mechanisms in the early sea urchin embryo. Dev Biol 218: 1–12. , .
- 1997. Sonic hedgehog directs specialised mesoderm differentiation in the intestine and pancreas. Curr Biol 7: 801–804. , , .
- 1997. Murine cardiac progenitor cells require visceral embryonic endoderm and primitive streak for terminal differentiation. Dev Dyn 210: 344–353. , , .
- 2006. Inactivation of Tbx1 in the pharyngeal endoderm results in 22q11DS malformations. Development 133: 977–987. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of Cdx-2 in the mouse embryo and placenta: possible role in patterning of the extra-embryonic membranes. Dev Dyn 204: 217–219. , , , .
- 1999. Reprogramming of intestinal differentiation and intercalary regeneration in Cdx2 mutant mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 7318–7323. , , , , .
- 2000. Homeobox genes and gut development. Bioessays 22: 431–441. , , .
- 1997. Cerberus-like is a secreted factor with neutralizing activity expressed in the anterior primitive endoderm of the mouse gastrula. Mech Dev 68: 45–57. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Hex homeobox gene-dependent tissue positioning is required for organogenesis of the ventral pancreas. Development 131: 797–806. , , , .
- 1997. Identification of the vertebrate Iroquois homeobox gene family with overlapping expression during early development of the nervous system. Mech Dev 69: 169–181. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The morphogenetic role of midline mesendoderm and ectoderm in the development of the forebrain and the midbrain of the mouse embryo. Development 127: 1799–1813. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Tissue-specific requirements for the proprotein convertase furin/SPC1 during embryonic turning and heart looping. Development 127: 245–254. , .
- 2002. A genomic regulatory network for development. Science 295: 1669–1678. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. BMP receptor IA is required in the mammalian embryo for endodermal morphogenesis and ectodermal patterning. Dev Biol 270: 47–63. , , , , .
- 2002. Tail gut endoderm and gut/genitourinary/tail development: a new tissue-specific role for Hoxa13. Development 129: 551–561. , .
- 2003. Dkk1 and noggin cooperate in mammalian head induction. Genes Dev 17: 2239–2244. , , , , .
- 1998. Cripto is required for correct orientation of the anterior-posterior axis in the mouse embryo. Nature 395: 702–707. , , , , , , .
- 1998. The transcription factor HNF3beta is required in visceral endoderm for normal primitive streak morphogenesis. Development 125: 3015–3025. , , , .
- 1994. Expression of transcription factor HNF-4 in the extraembryonic endoderm, gut, and nephrogenic tissue of the developing mouse embryo: HNF-4 is a marker for primary endoderm in the implanting blastocyst. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 7598–7602. , , , , , ,
- 1978. Differentiation and migration of endoderm in the rat and mouse at implantation. Anat Rec 190: 65–77. , , .
- 2005. Heart induction by Wnt antagonists depends on the homeodomain transcription factor Hex. Genes Dev 19: 387–396. , .
- 2002. An Fgf8 mouse mutant phenocopies human 22q11 deletion syndrome. Development 129: 4591–4603. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Head induction by simultaneous repression of Bmp and Wnt signalling in Xenopus. Nature 389: 517–519. , , , , .
- 2000. Endoderm development: from patterning to organogenesis. Trends Genet 16: 124–130. , .
- 2004. Hindgut defects and transformation of the gastro-intestinal tract in Tcf4(−/−)/Tcf1(−/−) embryos. EMBO J 23: 1825–1833. , , .
- 2006. Dose-dependent interaction of Tbx1 and Crkl and locally aberrant RA signaling in a model of del22q11 syndrome. Dev Cell 10: 81–92. , , , .
- 2004. A null mutation of Hhex results in abnormal cardiac development, defective vasculogenesis and elevated Vegfa levels. Development 131: 5197–5209. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Maintenance of the specification of the anterior definitive endoderm and forebrain depends on the axial mesendoderm: a study using HNF3beta/Foxa2 conditional mutants. Dev Biol 243: 20–33. , , , , , .
- 2002. Mixl1 is required for axial mesendoderm morphogenesis and patterning in the murine embryo. Development 129: 3597–3608. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Transcriptional regulation of the homeobox gene Mixl1 by TGF-beta and FoxH1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 333: 1361–1369. , , , , .
- 1998. A conserved retinoic acid responsive element in the murine Hoxb-1 gene is required for expression in the developing gut. Development 125: 3235–3246. , , , .
- 2003. Conserved requirement of Lim1 function for cell movements during gastrulation. Dev Cell 4: 83–94. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Inhibition of excess nodal signaling during mouse gastrulation by the transcriptional corepressor DRAP1. Science 298: 1996–1999. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Cell lineage analysis of the primitive and visceral endoderm of mouse embryos cultured in vitro. Cell Differ 21: 69–76. , , .
- 2002. Depletion of definitive gut endoderm in Sox17-null mutant mice. Development 129: 2367–2379. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Canonical Wnt signaling and its antagonist regulate anterior-posterior axis polarization by guiding cell migration in mouse visceral endoderm. Dev Cell 9: 639–650. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The organizer of the mouse gastrula is composed of a dynamic population of progenitor cells for the axial mesoderm. Development 128: 3623–3634. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Function of posterior HoxD genes in the morphogenesis of the anal sphincter. Development 122: 2651–2659. , , , .
- 2004. Development of definitive endoderm from embryonic stem cells in culture. Development 131: 1651–1662. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. GATA4 transcription factor is required for ventral morphogenesis and heart tube formation. Genes Dev 11: 1048–1060. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Cell fate, morphogenetic movement and population kinetics of embryonic endoderm at the time of germ layer formation in the mouse. Development 101: 627–652. , .
- 1986. Cell fate and cell lineage in the endoderm of the presomite mouse embryo, studied with an intracellular tracer. Dev Biol 115: 325–339. , , .
- 1991. Clonal analysis of epiblast fate during germ layer formation in the mouse embryo. Development 113: 891–911. , , .
- 2002. Formation of multiple hearts in mice following deletion of beta-catenin in the embryonic endoderm. Dev Cell 3: 171–181. , , , , , .
- 1994. The Pem homeobox gene is X-linked and exclusively expressed in extraembryonic tissues during early murine development. Dev Biol 166: 170–179. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Smad2 and Smad3 coordinately regulate craniofacial and endodermal development. Dev Biol 270: 411–426. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Genetic dissection of nodal function in patterning the mouse embryo. Development 128: 1831–1843. , , .
- 2003. Ablation of specific expression domains reveals discrete functions of ectoderm- and endoderm-derived FGF8 during cardiovascular and pharyngeal development. Development 130: 6361–6374. , , , , , .
- 2002. Making worm guts: the gene regulatory network of the Caenorhabditis elegans endoderm. Dev Biol 246: 68–85. , .
- 1995. The role of Hoxa-3 in mouse thymus and thyroid development. Development 121: 1989–2003. , .
- 2000. The homeobox gene Hex is required in definitive endodermal tissues for normal forebrain, liver and thyroid formation. Development 127: 2433–2445. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Getting your head around Hex and Hesx1: forebrain formation in mouse. Int J Dev Biol 45: 327–336. , .
- 2003. Retinoic acid-induced developmental defects are mediated by RARbeta/RXR heterodimers in the pharyngeal endoderm. Development 130: 2083–2093. , , , , .
- 2000. The zinc finger-containing transcription factors GATA-4, -5, and -6. Ubiquitously expressed regulators of tissue-specific gene expression. J Biol Chem 275: 38949–38952. .
- 1994. Transcription factor GATA-4 regulates cardiac muscle-specific expression of the alpha-myosin heavy-chain gene. Mol Cell Biol 14: 4947–4957. , , .
- 2005. Retinoic acid generated by Raldh2 in mesoderm is required for mouse dorsal endodermal pancreas development. Dev Dyn 232: 950–957. , , .
- 2006. Crkl deficiency disrupts Fgf8 signaling in a mouse model of 22q11 deletion syndromes. Dev Cell 10: 71–80. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Differential expression of Sonic hedgehog along the anterior-posterior axis regulates patterning of pharyngeal pouch endoderm and pharyngeal endoderm-derived organs. Dev Biol 278: 323–335. , .
- 2001. Dickkopf1 is required for embryonic head induction and limb morphogenesis in the mouse. Dev Cell 1: 423–434. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Functional ablation of the mouse Ldb1 gene results in severe patterning defects during gastrulation. Development 130: 495–505. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Expression of avian Pax1 and Pax9 is intrinsically regulated in the pharyngeal endoderm, but depends on environmental influences in the paraxial mesoderm. Dev Biol 178: 403–417. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Wild-type endoderm abrogates the ventral developmental defects associated with GATA-4 deficiency in the mouse. Dev Biol 189: 270–274. , , .
- 2003. The regional pattern of retinoic acid synthesis by RALDH2 is essential for the development of posterior pharyngeal arches and the enteric nervous system. Development 130: 2525–2534. , , , , , .
- 2005. Ssdp1 regulates head morphogenesis of mouse embryos by activating the Lim1-Ldb1 complex. Development 132: 2535–2546. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Mml, a mouse Mix-like gene expressed in the primitive streak. Mech Dev 87: 189–192. , .
- 1998. Pax9-deficient mice lack pharyngeal pouch derivatives and teeth and exhibit craniofacial and limb abnormalities. Genes Dev 12: 2735–2747. , , , .
- 2004. The mammalian twisted gastrulation gene functions in foregut and craniofacial development. Dev Biol 267: 374–386. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Overexpression of Nodal promotes differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells into mesoderm and endoderm at the expense of neuroectoderm formation. Stem Cells Dev 14: 162–172. , , , .
- 2000. The endoderm plays an important role in patterning the segmented pharyngeal region in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Dev Biol 225: 339–356. , .
- 2000. Hedgehog signals regulate multiple aspects of gastrointestinal development. Development 127: 2763–2772. , , .
- 1998. Sequential roles for Otx2 in visceral endoderm and neuroectoderm for forebrain and midbrain induction and specification. Development 125: 845–856. , , , , , .
- 2004. Gastrula organiser and embryonic patterning in the mouse. Semin Cell Dev Biol 15: 543–554. , .
- 2000. Cloning, expression analysis, and chromosomal localization of murine and human homologues of a Xenopus mix gene. Dev Dyn 219: 497–504. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Induction of the mesendoderm in the zebrafish germ ring by yolk cell-derived TGF-beta family signals and discrimination of mesoderm and endoderm by FGF. Development 126: 3067–3078. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Failure of ventral closure and axial rotation in embryos lacking the proprotein convertase Furin. Development 125: 4863–4876. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Different thresholds of fibroblast growth factors pattern the ventral foregut into liver and lung. Development 132: 35–47. , , , , .
- 1995. Requirement for Lim1 in head-organizer function. Nature 374: 425–430. , .
- 1999. Lim1 is required in both primitive streak-derived tissues and visceral endoderm for head formation in the mouse. Development 126: 4925–4932. , , , , , .
- 2003. Angiomotin regulates visceral endoderm movements during mouse embryogenesis. Curr Biol 13: 613–617. , .
- 2004. Sox17 and beta-catenin cooperate to regulate the transcription of endodermal genes. Development 131: 3069–3080. , , , .
- 2003. Characterizing embryonic gene expression patterns in the mouse using nonredundant sequence-based selection. Genome Res 13: 2609–2620. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A glimpse into the molecular entrails of endoderm formation. Genes Dev 16: 893–907. .
- 1994. Morphogenesis of the murine node and notochordal plate. Dev Dyn 201: 260–278. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Characterization of mesendoderm: a diverging point of the definitive endoderm and mesoderm in embryonic stem cell differentiation culture. Development 132: 4363–4374. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Establishment and organization of germ layers in the gastrulating mouse embryo. Ciba Found Symp 165: 27–41; discussion 42–29. , .
- 1993. Gastrulation in the mouse embryo: ultrastructural and molecular aspects of germ layer morphogenesis. Microsc Res Tech 26: 301–328. , , .
- 2003. Early endoderm development in vertebrates: lineage differentiation and morphogenetic function. Curr Opin Genet Dev 13: 393–400. , , .
- 2004. Regionalization of cell fates and cell movement in the endoderm of the mouse gastrula and the impact of loss of Lhx1(Lim1) function. Dev Biol 274: 171–187. , , , , .
- 2005. IFITM/Mil/fragilis family proteins IFITM1 and IFITM3 play distinct roles in mouse primordial germ cell homing and repulsion. Dev Cell 9: 745–756. , , , , .
- 2005. Distinct populations of endoderm cells converge to generate the embryonic liver bud and ventral foregut tissues. Dev Biol 280: 87–99. , .
- 2000. Formation of the definitive endoderm in mouse is a Smad2-dependent process. Development 127: 3079–3090. , , , .
- 1999. Pharyngeal arch patterning in the absence of neural crest. Curr Biol 9: 1481–1484. , , , , .
- 2003. Cell fate decisions within the mouse organizer are governed by graded Nodal signals. Genes Dev 17: 1646–1662. , , , , .
- 2002. Tbx1 mutation causes multiple cardiovascular defects and disrupts neural crest and cranial nerve migratory pathways. Hum Mol Genet 11: 915–922. , , , , .
- 1996. Pax1 is expressed during development of the thymus epithelium and is required for normal T-cell maturation. Development 122: 23–30. , , , , , .
- 1999. Origin and development of the zebrafish endoderm. Development 126: 827–838. , .
- 2004. GATA4 is essential for formation of the proepicardium and regulates cardiogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 12573–12578. , , , .
- 1999. Polarity of the mouse embryo is anticipated before implantation. Development 126: 5591–5598. , , , , .
- 1994. The winged-helix transcription factor HNF-3 beta is required for notochord development in the mouse embryo. Cell 78: 575–588. , , , , , ,
- 1998. Failure of egg cylinder elongation and mesoderm induction in mouse embryos lacking the tumor suppressor smad2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 9378–9383. , , , , , .
- 1999. Vertebrate endoderm development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 15: 393–410. , .
- 2000. Early mouse endoderm is patterned by soluble factors from adjacent germ layers. Development 127: 1563–1572. , .
- 2000. Retinoid signaling is essential for patterning the endoderm of the third and fourth pharyngeal arches. Development 127: 1553–1562. , , , .
- 2003. Molecular link in the sequential induction of the Spemann organizer: direct activation of the cerberus gene by Xlim-1, Xotx2, Mix.1, and Siamois, immediately downstream from Nodal and Wnt signaling. Dev Biol 257: 190–204. , , , .
- 2002. Disabled-2 is essential for endodermal cell positioning and structure formation during mouse embryogenesis. Dev Biol 251: 27–44. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Induction and monitoring of definitive and visceral endoderm differentiation of mouse ES cells. Nat Biotechnol 23: 1542–1550. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Hox genes and the making of sphincters. Nature 401: 761–762. , .
- 2002. Regulation of Hex gene expression by a Smads-dependent signaling pathway. J Biol Chem 277: 45435–45441. , , , .
- 2005. GATA6 is essential for embryonic development of the liver but dispensable for early heart formation. Mol Cell Biol 25: 2622–2631. , , , , , .
- 1993. Nodal is a novel TGF-beta-like gene expressed in the mouse node during gastrulation. Nature 361: 543–547. , , , , .